Water from condenser dryer

• 9 Replies

Eblana

Water from condenser dryer
« on: February 16, 2015, 10:16 »
Ireland is currently introducing water charges so I am looking at ways of reducing water consumption, I have all the usual water butts etc. but I was wondering if it is safe to use the water that is collected in my Condensor Tumble Dryer in the green house to water seeds, seedlings and when the time comes overwintering plants or should I just use it on the garden e.g. on my bamboos in the raised bed which are very water hungry?

Bigrich

Re: Water from condenser dryer
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 10:21 »
I'm guessing that for the volume of water you'll get off it, it's barely worth the effort. Plus there may be residual detergent contaminants etc (though thinking about it there might not since it's condensed water vapour)

Far better to fit some diverters to drainpipes and get some water butts on the go - rainwater's not exactly a scarce commodity in Ireland

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 10:29 »
My condenser water container says to use the water for potted plants, irons and car battery top ups so you could use it for your plants or hanging baskets  :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Springlands

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 10:31 »
Eblana - I would not use the water from my dryer on vegetable seedlings or plants because the water does sometimes have a slight smell of detergent. It would be perfectly safe to use on flower beds or as you say your bamboo.

Eblana

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 10:39 »
My condenser water container says to use the water for potted plants, irons and car battery top ups so you could use it for your plants or hanging baskets  :)

I never thought of using it in the iron - I will use some of it there. 

Eblana

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 10:41 »
Eblana - I would not use the water from my dryer on vegetable seedlings or plants because the water does sometimes have a slight smell of detergent. It would be perfectly safe to use on flower beds or as you say your bamboo.

Thanks spring lands - anything that is left after using it in the iron I will put on the bamboos, it was the smell of detergent that led me to ask the question.

Springlands

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 10:56 »
I have a flower bed just outside the garage where the dryer is kept - so the flowers get an extra watering every-time I use the dryer.  :D

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 11:12 »

I never thought of using it in the iron - I will use some of it there.
I bought an iron recently and it specifically mentions not to use condenser water in the iron as there could be too many impurities.  Certainly you would need to filter it before you use is in anything that might bung up easily.
Anne

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2015, 13:58 »
I wondered about using the dehumidifier's water on plants. No detergent in it so it should be ok I would guess.

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2015, 20:57 »
A year ago, when I first got my condenser dryer, I pH'd the water at just under 9 and so did not use the water for anything.

Having just read this thread I just tested the condensate and, amazingly, it was 7.0 spot-on. Perhaps there was some residual stuff in the collector when it was new?

This morning I got my water bill; £550 this year.  :ohmy: I did a water calculator check and sure enough I will save about 10-15% and so I'm thinking of ways to further save water than what I already do.

So far I've come to the idea of collecting the grey water automatically via the pipe outside so no-one is inconvenienced at home and then I will manage the grey water from outside.

So the moral of this story is: if you're going to do it, make it easy for yourself, or you'll take the easier option, especially when you're tired or pushed for time.
250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Cheap as chips, diy preferred
Will swap root cuttings etc

"There comes a point where Mother nature just says no, without a lot of electricity." Quote Beesrus

xx
Water containers

Started by Frog on Frugal Living

3 Replies
Last post July 13, 2010, 15:47
by mumofstig
xx
saving water

Started by bramble on Frugal Living

1 Replies
Last post January 25, 2007, 22:04
by GrannieAnnie
xx
water butt

Started by dimbutnice on Frugal Living

5 Replies
Last post April 28, 2011, 14:29
by Neezy13
xx
water bottles

Started by mrsbean on Frugal Living

1 Replies
Last post March 29, 2013, 16:25
by parsley

Page created in 0.124 seconds with 38 queries.