Dog caught chicken

• 5 Replies

Eblana

Dog caught chicken
« on: February 15, 2015, 20:06 »
I am in a panic.  This morning while up at the plot our dog got out of our plot and grabbed one of our neighbours chickens which had managed to get out of the coup.  A lot of feathers came off her belly but there were no cuts or blood.  The neighbours said she was ok and left about 10 mins later not too concerned but I have been sick with worry since.  I checked on her every hour for about 4 hours after and she seemed fine - what do chicken peeps think?

Geo

• Experienced Member
Re: Dog caught chicken
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 21:06 »
She will be okay. It sound as if the dog has only managed to get a mouthful of feathers.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 06:09 »
I agree she will be fine if the hen is walking around, I have one with a wonky tail where one of my dogs grabbed her - she still lays eggs (well except for over winter) and is fit and healthy.
Staffies are softer than you think.

Snoop

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 08:47 »
One of our chickens decided she would help herself to some of our dog's biscuits. The dog, of course, was not happy about that and snapped. Chicken went off minus a clump of feathers, a bit shocked (the dogs are usually very respectful of the chickens), and the dog went on with her meal.

Your dog got away and the chicken got out. Six of one and half a dozen of the other and the chicken's none the worse for it apart from an almighty fright. I shouldn't worry about it.

The only problem will be if your dog now decides to go sniffing and digging around the coop. Then you might have to keep it tethered or leave it at home for a bit.

Eblana

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 10:10 »
She is fine this morning thank god and layer an egg, a bit bald under her belly, I am probably in a worse state than she is!!

The dogs will be staying at home from now on.  We have recently gotten a new addition 'Archie' a rescued 11 month old boxer who came to us in a bad state (he had been savaged by a pit bull and was very underweight).  Now that we have him fixed up, himself and our other 14 month German Shephard mix have become very unruly.  In the last week they have single handedly destroyed my garden, become unwalkable due to pulling and now this.  They behaved themselves all of yesterday because they knew that one of them was in trouble (locked them in the car and ignored them) but this morning they are full of beans and out rolling around the garden together.  I am going to get a dog trainer that has been recommended to me by the place where I got Archie from to come in and do some work with them before they become too much for me to handle.

Thanks everyone for putting my mind at rest, I managed to get a couple of hours sleep as a result of your posts.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 10:18 »
glad you managed to get some sleep and that she is fine this morning  :)

xx
Greyie caught a rat!

Started by yolkie on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post March 06, 2013, 08:16
by Sassy
xx
Hs my hen caught a cold?

Started by ghost61 on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 19, 2013, 21:29
by grinling
xx
Caught in a Trap

Started by Heidi on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 16, 2009, 09:09
by Foxy
xx
Caught the thief

Started by yorkshirerose on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post November 04, 2007, 11:43
by yorkshirerose

Page created in 0.265 seconds with 36 queries.