asparagus

• 6 Replies

pauly58

• Experienced Member
asparagus
« on: February 15, 2015, 09:38 »
hi all, i have got 3 asparigus crowns from wilcos do they spread each year like chives or if i want more do i buy more crowns.

Thanks
pauly

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: asparigus
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2015, 10:17 »
Eventually each will grow to about 18" across or more, but you will still only have 3 plants.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

pauly58

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2015, 10:43 »
thanks

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2015, 10:59 »
Every year the crowns will get more productive which will increase the number of spears you get. Just to say that asparagus can be either male or female and the female ones will seed and need to be removed.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
Re: asparagus
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 11:40 »
hi all, i have got 3 asparigus crowns from wilcos do they spread each year like chives or if i want more do i buy more crowns.

Not sure what is the minimum number of crowns to "get a meal off" ... I have 60 crowns and we pick about 3 times a week and get plenty for 4 people and some to give away ...

I'm guessing a bit, but I don't think any of my crowns produce, on average, more than one harvestable spear at once - so if you reckon you need, say, 10 spears for a meal then I reckon you need 10 crowns.  They would probably produce, again I'm guessing a bit, about 2 spears per week - so you might get 10 spears, or a bit less, twice a week from 10 crowns.

If someone has any record of their harvest I reckon it would be a handy figure for Newbies to be able to plan with :)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 11:45 »
My 60 crowns doesn't seem that excessive:

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/discussions/1382135/how-many-asparagus-plants-for-a-large-family

:)

20-30 might do for a couple, but looks like more is needed for "Family of 4, or couple who do some entertaining, ensuring enough to give away and spare to freeze" ...

ptarmigan

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 11:54 »
I've got about 16 crowns - (8 are 3 year's old and 8 are going into their 2nd year).  And that doesn't give me very much asparagus at all.  I have high hopes of next year for the older asparagus - especially as it was such a good summer and they seemed to grown really well.

So from 8 older crowns I got about 4 large servings of asparagus - spread over the whole season.

xx
preparing an asparagus bed, and asparagus varieties

Started by wasthiswise on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post January 06, 2013, 09:06
by JayG
xx
Asparagus/Asparagus beetle

Started by Quetzal on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post June 21, 2011, 20:09
by sunshineband
xx
To Asparagus or not to Asparagus......that is the question!

Started by greeny reene on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 12, 2008, 14:40
by wellingtons
xx
Asparagus pea

Started by Beetroot queen on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 22, 2013, 15:20
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.576 seconds with 30 queries.