Kohl Rabi

• 14 Replies

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
Kohl Rabi
« on: February 02, 2015, 11:37 »
I haven't seen any mention of this veg on the forum, I grew it last year and the flavour was/is superb, I have never seen this veg in the super markets so I wonder why? I will be growing K rabi this year, any thoughts! Dave
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

AnneB

Re: Kohl Rabi
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 11:59 »
I grew the variety Azur for the first time.  It was completely disease free and grew easily.   I found our family preferred it best as a turnip substitute in stews and curries, rather than as a straight vegetable on its own.

I entered it in the West Yorkshire Organics show in the miscellaneous veg category, where it won first prize.  I was pleased as this show is judged on taste not appearance.

Will grow again.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 12:05 »
We dice it, raw, combined with diced Beetroot (cooked) and some Greek Yoghurt.  Lovely pink colour :) and Kohl Rabi nice and firm in and amongst the Beetroot.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2015, 12:53 »
I grow the purple one too - the main problem is stopping OH eating them like apples if he comes up to visit... :lol:

They sell them on the local market here, but only the green ones.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2015, 12:57 »
The green grows better, for me, than the Purple.  Mind you, only grew the Purple once, so maybe I didn't look after it properly and it wasn't a fair comparison.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2015, 12:57 »
Stick kohlrabi or kohl rabi in the search and you'll find quite a few mentions  ;)

one of them here

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=105857.msg1187584#msg1187584

Mr Dog

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2015, 13:45 »
My local Morrisons sells them at certain times of the year. I grow both purple and white and we tend to use them raw in coleslaws and salads rather than cooked. I've read somewhere (possibly on here) that you can freeze them whole, so am going to plant a few more this year at the same time, rather than growing successively, and try.

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 16:50 »
Stick kohlrabi or kohl rabi in the search and you'll find quite a few mentions  ;)

one of them here

http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=105857.msg1187584#msg1187584

Thanks for the timely reminder, Mum!

We were considering using the beds for something else this year, but - well - maybe I can 'negotiate' with Mrs Growster, as she's not an aficionado...

AnneB

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 18:57 »
My local Morrisons sells them at certain times of the year. I grow both purple and white and we tend to use them raw in coleslaws and salads rather than cooked. I've read somewhere (possibly on here) that you can freeze them whole, so am going to plant a few more this year at the same time, rather than growing successively, and try.

I found that Azur kept for ages  (4 months!) just wrapped in newspaper and stored in our dry cellar.   A friend told me her father used to extend the keeping time for root veg using this technique.  I gave it a whirl and it worked very well for me.

Mr Dog

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 19:25 »
I found that Azur kept for ages  (4 months!) just wrapped in newspaper and stored in our dry cellar.   A friend told me her father used to extend the keeping time for root veg using this technique.  I gave it a whirl and it worked very well for me.

Thanks for that info Anne, will give it a go - I store my swedes over winter that way in a cool, dry garage!

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 10:56 »
We like ours steamed like other veg and served up on the Sunday roast, we didn't have any storage problems cos there was none left :D, Dave

ghost61

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 11:06 »
Dave, once steamed try them with a white sauce with added nutmeg.  My mother who was german always served them that way.  She grew them here in the 50s onwards and got the seed sent over here by her mother in Germany!

colin120

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2015, 17:45 »
I grow purple Kohl last late last year, they was great sill have some growing now on my allotment, got some today from the allotment to go with our Sunday dinner.

SusieB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2015, 19:00 »
colin120 - the frost didn't get them? My book says you can  pull them till December.

colin120

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2015, 01:09 »
colin120 - the frost didn't get them? My book says you can  pull them till December.

No the frost didn't get to mine still have about 10 left on the allotment, and they are not covered, don't know if its because they are hardy plants or because I 8 beds at the top end of my allotment and they where planted in two of my beds,  beds are 6ft by 4ft

xx
Kohl rabi

Started by Candide on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post May 18, 2022, 12:26
by Candide
xx
Kohl rabi

Started by Rich72 on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post May 04, 2013, 22:18
by surbie100
xx
Kohl Rabi

Started by Boothy on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2008, 18:22
by flatcap
xx
Kohl rabi

Started by barbarella on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post May 28, 2013, 20:21
by Growster...

Page created in 0.5 seconds with 30 queries.