Green beans

• 23 Replies

Comfreypatch

• Experienced Member
Re: Green beans
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 10:48 »
I have also grown cobra always been a good yield. Last year. I added blauhilde and found them good too, and longer cropping as stated in other post.
Diary  http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=116469.0

Comments http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=116484.0

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 18:07 »
I grew Monte Cristo last year and it is the first time I have had any success with climbing french beans.  They were very productive, and not at all stringy even when huge.
I have saved some for seed but I'm not sure if it will breed true.
Anne

Florablunder

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 19:22 »
Thanks everyone! Some great suggestions, I'll definitely give them a try!

FloraB

compostqueen

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 22:21 »
Blauhilde are popular on the plots.  I grow all sorts of beans but dwarf wise I really like Boby Bianco. Handy for growing in small spaces like raised beds or boxes.

Runner wise I like Cosse Violette. Never goes stringy

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2015, 15:08 »
have been successfully growing the French dwarf ones for the last few years

As others have said picking dwarf French is hard on the back, but I grow a few because they start cropping earlier than the climbers, and I them pull the dwarf French ones out. I also grow some in the greenhouse, for an even earlier crop. I tried climbers in the greenhouse but they made masses of "top" and not enough beans before I needed the space for another crop.

As an alternative to the cyulindircal ones, we grow "flat beans" - varieties like Limka - which is a climbing French, but has a bean looking like a Runner; my lot don;t like the flavour of runners much, and prefer Limka.  Of course if you love Runners then stick to that for your "flat beans"

(Also available as a Dwarf French, I think its called Masterpiece)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2015, 15:14 »
I tried  " yard long last year,good germination, lovely plants, planted out at the same time as runners,borlotti,yellow climbing & purple climbing. Then they just sat there & never grew,not one bit, all in the same row etc as the others. Eventually they disappeared :ohmy:. I shall try again as I have loads of seed left, I shall be interested to hear how you get on.

Me too - except the try-gain bit!  Since read that they need a really hot summer and would only be a Good Do'er here if I put them in the greenhouse ...

snowdrops

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2015, 07:59 »
I tried  " yard long last year,good germination, lovely plants, planted out at the same time as runners,borlotti,yellow climbing & purple climbing. Then they just sat there & never grew,not one bit, all in the same row etc as the others. Eventually they disappeared :ohmy:. I shall try again as I have loads of seed left, I shall be interested to hear how you get on.

Me too - except the try-gain bit!  Since read that they need a really hot summer and would only be a Good Do'er here if I put them in the greenhouse ...

That's interesting, we had a really good summer,so they should in theory have done well. Maybe I should have given them some extra protection.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Eblana

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2015, 13:33 »
I grew Cobra last year but the kids didn't like them because they weren't as crunchy as the shop bought ones no matter how little I cooked them (they seemed to be very thick and fleshy) any suggestions on a variety that might overcome this problem because we eat an awful lot of green beans.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2015, 18:11 »
we had a really good summer,so they should in theory have done well.
I would have classed our Summer as above average temperatures every month (except August which was dire), but no heat waves.  So perhaps not hot enough?

No idea what they need, temperature-wise, but I've read a number of posts, over the years, saying that they have only done well for that person in a Poly Tunnel/similar.

When I buy a 250 sq.m. ex-commercial greenhouse, cheap, and cover my whole plot I'll let you know if the Yard Long beans do any better :D

xx
Sowing time and spacing for growing Wizard beans for beans, not as green manure

Started by Snoop on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post September 01, 2014, 08:57
by Snoop
xx
mange tout, Dwarf beans and Green Beans

Started by raisedbed on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post July 21, 2008, 14:32
by diggerjoe
xx
Green beans - how big is too big

Started by Rowan on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 11, 2010, 20:02
by JayG
xx
French Green Beans

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

38 Replies
Last post May 13, 2011, 23:33
by Paul Plots

Page created in 1.11 seconds with 38 queries.