When to sow leeks

• 31 Replies

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: When to sow leeks
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 09:54 »
My, how your cats suffer - oh - you mean for the leeks!

:lol: :lol:

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 10:27 »
.... cat litter trays. (I assume Wiko still do the nice deep ones!).
I use polystyrene boxes from the Fishmonger

Goosegirl

« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 12:09 »
Thats for the responses. I've never fed my leeks in the past, perhaps that was my problem. One year I did find they mostly bolted. Does anyone know what causes leeks to bolt?
I never used to feed mine either but they do seem to respond well especially with the Maxicrop to help them settle in after transplanting.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

beesrus

« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 16:38 »
There's no reason I can think of for early sown leeks to bolt any more than later sown leeks, if they're not under stress. I had 5 or 6 earlies bolt last year in September, for the first time, but then the Summer was unusually dry and I hadn't watered them for an age other than soaking them in the normal manner when planting out. Can't think why I let them fend for themselves in such weather.

Godhelm

« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2015, 16:48 »
Leeks are a favourite veg in our house (along with squash and french beans!) so I am trying some early, mid and late varieties this year with guidance from the RHS trials: http://apps.rhs.org.uk/planttrials/trials_results2.asp?Committee=VT&txtName=leek&txtcate=selected

I have Autumn Giant 2 'Porvite' seeds which I am planning to sow indoors either this weekend or next and then move to the cold frame to grow on. Later on, I will sow into a nursery bed at the allotment and then transplant - probably following potatoes as others have mentioned, and as I did last year.

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2015, 17:30 »
I sow some at the end of Jan in the greenhouse so I have a row come competition time but the bulk are sown over the allotemnt in April and transplanted when I have the space. Iusually plant them on as the potatos get dug up.
I'm going to copy the borough competition winner!  (Or maybe that wasn't for leeks  :)) but hey, looks like I was thinking waaaay too early- last years Jan sown all got chomped first night out  :wub:

beesrus

« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2015, 18:21 »
What an excellent link Godhelm, thanks for that.
Here's a specific RHS trial pdf file link for January sown leeks back in 2000. Looks like the early sown leeks fared well, and some used the Autumn Mammoth that I have used in the past for my early crops. I use Muselburgh for my later sowing.
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/planttrials/TrialReports/Leek%202000.pdf 
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 18:26 by beesrus »

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2015, 18:34 »
From the above pdf re testing early varieties of leeks................

To recommend those cultivars which do not bolt over a summer harvesting from an early sowing

Implies that some varieties will indeed bolt if sown early, even early varieties.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2015, 18:36 »
This is what the RHS say about boulting leeks

Biennial crops
Some biennial crops (which grow in the first year, flower in the second) such as onions, leeks, carrot and beetroot can initiate flowers in the first year. This is due to unsettled weather conditions early in the season and usually occurs after a prolonged cold spell, often during the propagation phase. Cold nights, hot days and late frosts may also contribute to premature initiation of flowering.

So I'd say the earlier you sow them the more likely they are to be subjected to those conditions.

beesrus

« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2015, 19:07 »
From the above pdf re testing early varieties of leeks................

To recommend those cultivars which do not bolt over a summer harvesting from an early sowing

Implies that some varieties will indeed bolt if sown early, even early varieties.
I've hardly ever had a problem Mos, but then I tend to use the early sowing quite quickly, as they are not intended for late Autumn/Winter eating. Choose the variety for the desired purpose. I wouldn't sow in January if I wanted those same leeks to still be holding in the ground a year later. I have had the odd problems with japanse onions bolting though, if there is a cold snap, warm, then cold snap early in the Feb/March... very rare here. The leeks are kept slightly differently in the cold greenhouse ... that keeps the possible early fluctuations under control somewhat. We rarely get a proper cold thing down here on the coast after Mid Feb.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 19:20 by beesrus »

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2015, 10:08 »
I think Newbies should avoid sowing early - more chance of disappointment.

Joy Larkcom says to sow early cultivars of Leeks in February, Mid and Late season in March/April.  She says that early cultivars are less hardy - that suggests to me that they will also be susceptible to cold when young (cold toleration better in mature) plants), as well as not standing well into winter

I also think it depends how early you want to eat Leeks. Personally I think of leeks as a Winter crop, and don't want to eat them until December (and we, then, want enough to last us through the winter)

fatbelly

« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2015, 11:00 »
I will be sowing my Leeks the DD way in late March. I'm a bit further North than some of you  Guys so leave it an extra week or 2.

But each year I get great germination and good leeks. I just buy cheap Musslebrough seeds from Wilkos for something like 80p a packet & I get enough to keep us in Leeks from October all the way through to the following March.

Along with Autumn King Carrots they are my favourite value for money Veg.
99% Organic and 1% Slug Pellets.

Allotment holder since 27th May 2007.

wasthiswise

• Prettiest Pumpkin Grower - 2013
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2015, 09:33 »
Thanks for the replies. Judging from those I'm going to try an early variety starting under glass in Feb, and and overwintering variety starting a month later. And this time I will feed them.

grove

« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2015, 16:02 »
I normally time mine to occupy ground where first early potatoes have been. So march works well. This year though leek moth has really harmed the crop. Rethink for the next crop, fleece is probably in order.

al78

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2015, 15:55 »
I've just bought a couple of deep gravel trays for my leeks this year. I'll try the method of sowing each seed an inch apart and see what happens.

Regarding sowing times, last year I sowed my leeks mid February, a couple did bolt in the hot dry weather last summer but other than that I seem to have got a reasonable crop (although the allium leaf miner has infested of them). My father was telling me to start sowing in early January, which seems a bit early, but was apparently what my grandfather did. I presume sowing really early is for growing huge leeks for the show bench?

xx
Leeks

Started by Middle Eastern Gardener on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post November 27, 2020, 18:26
by jambop
xx
leeks

Started by South Downs Wayer on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post September 18, 2008, 21:26
by Bombers
xx
Are these leeks?

Started by Remy on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 20, 2009, 20:33
by Remy
xx
leeks

Started by bowler on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post September 28, 2010, 21:42
by binner

Page created in 0.743 seconds with 38 queries.