leek moth

• 12 Replies

andy dewar

leek moth
« on: January 03, 2015, 11:31 »
Hi and happy new year to all ,for the last 2 years our allotment has been decimated with leek moth :( and i really like leeks so can anyone give advise how to grow them without the dreaded moths getting them any advise would be grateful and will help my fellow allotmenteers also  Thanks Andy

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: leek moth
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 11:56 »
Grow them like carrots, under netting.

beesrus

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 12:02 »
Yes, it's the best answer Andy. And a decent small guage net to boot, not just a butterfly bet.
Also late plantings of greenhouse grown on leeks for Winter eating seem to get less damage where I am.

GrowinGrowinGone

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 14:00 »
I had leek moth damage this year, so I will be covering mine.  I have seen the damage they cause, but never actually seen the pest itself.  Would scaffold netting be sufficient to keep them out, or would it have to be micromesh?  Sorry to crash the topic, but thought I would ask while on the subject :)
This is my Allotment, There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without my Allotment I am nothing, without me, my Allotment is nothing

andy dewar

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 15:57 »
thanks for the advise i will try growing them on in the greenhouse then net them when planting out  :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 16:20 »
Debris/scaffold netting is not really fine enough :(
See this previous post

Yes, it's the best answer Andy. And a decent small guage net to boot, not just a butterfly bet.
Also late plantings of greenhouse grown on leeks for Winter eating seem to get less damage where I am.

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 18:59 »
Scaffold netting or debris netting definitely does work against carrot fly, and we've had no damage at all from them for two years.

I'm not sure how big a leek moth is, but if you can get a good denier scaffold net, then go for it!

I think Enviromesh is grossly overpriced anyway!

GrowinGrowinGone

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 19:56 »
I've got a 50m roll of scaffolding/debris netting so I was hoping this would do the job.  I'll give it a go :)

al78

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2015, 21:06 »
Scaffold netting or debris netting definitely does work against carrot fly, and we've had no damage at all from them for two years.

I'm not sure how big a leek moth is, but if you can get a good denier scaffold net, then go for it!

I think Enviromesh is grossly overpriced anyway!

Veggemesh is cheaper and does the same job.

Although there is a moderate upfront cost, the mesh should last several years and if it results in increased yields then it is at least partly paying for itself.

sarajane

« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 01:33 »
I discovered Leek moth for the first time ever this year and lost most of my plants  >:(. Veggie mesh seems the best preventative measure.  Anything with larger holes and the blighters will fly through and wreck the crop.  I'm not prepared to lose my favourite veg again. :wacko:

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 09:41 »
I should add here, that we have loads of debris netting, which came from two building sites and cost nothing...

One lot is from the old Fairmeadow site in Maidstone, where the Contracts Manager (old chum and work colleague), when I asked him if he had any bits left over, opened the boot of my car and filled it to the brim, and that was over thirty years ago..;0)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 10:01 »
WRT using debris netting, Allium leaf miner flies are 3mm long, leek moth 5-6mm.

Perhaps debris netting stops leek moth - but doesn't stop leaf miner flies? I suppose it depends on the size of the holes in your particular netting as there seems quite a bit of variation.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 12:02 »
Cabbage Whites, which are kept out by Debris Netting are, I think 7mm but can fold up their wings to squeeze through narrow gaps, so seems reasonable that Debris Netting might keep out 5-6mm Leek moth ...

Allium leaf miner looking like more of a challenge unless using Enviromesh or similar?

My dilemma is that I don't think it worth waiting until my first crop is ruined before erecting netting ... but I'm quite a long way out into the countryside and no agricultural onions anywhere near here ...

But if the pest arrive, and enjoy eating my crop they will set up home here and be harder to control in future years.  I have lots of Alliums in the ornamental garden, so don't want to encourage them full stop, so my plan is to net everything now.

xx
Leek moth

Started by brotherdeal on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post June 25, 2013, 09:28
by surbie100
xx
Leek Moth....

Started by Jay The Digger on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post September 28, 2009, 19:32
by mashauk
xx
Leek moth

Started by colin120 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post October 26, 2015, 20:56
by Jason1971
xx
Leek moth

Started by mashauk on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 04, 2008, 10:02
by new_2_veg

Page created in 0.762 seconds with 38 queries.