What do you want from a TV / Radio Gardening Programme ?

• 138 Replies

gobs

« Reply #90 on: January 16, 2008, 23:32 »
I don't know why Rose called me Splodger there, confusion is nothing to do with me. :lol:  :lol:
"Words... I know exactly what words I'm wanting to say, but somehow or other they is always getting squiff-squiddled around." R Dahl

splodger

« Reply #91 on: January 16, 2008, 23:33 »
it's a shame the only jobs i can get are virtual ones :?

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Selkie

« Reply #92 on: January 16, 2008, 23:37 »
:oops:  :oops:  :oops: I am having a really off night - sorry Gobs, sorry Splodger...

have emailed them again -- to the right address this time....what's the difference between .com and .co.uk anyway? - the computer should KNOW what I meant... :oops:  :oops:  :oops:

WG.

« Reply #93 on: January 17, 2008, 00:36 »
Quote from: "The Singing Gardener"
I still think there should be a new section about GROWING FOR SHOWING.
I might have this all wrong but why would someone growing for show be willing to use a forum to share their ideas with the very people they are competing against?   It just seems 180 degrees out to me?? From what little I've seen of show growers, it is all about jealously guarding your own secrets.

The reason I love this forum dearly is that everyone is willing to share their experiences and knowledge for the express benefit of all the others.  The only person I know who wants to eat a 15ft carrot is Babe and that's because she is only growing one.

I have never so much as met anyone from this forum but yet I have received (and given) advice, support, ideas, seeds, plants and cyber-affection in significant quantities.  It is an heckuva nice place to hang out.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #94 on: January 17, 2008, 01:00 »
If you're really interested in show growing then you should join the National Vegetable Society

Not only can you share information with other growers but you can buy an exciting series of DVDs on various show growing topics.

If you go to Medwyn Williams Articles page on here you'll find links to about 400 articles by the winner of 10 consecutive RHS gold medals at Chelsea.

Medwyn's a lovely chap, I'll mention your interests Sean when I see him next (couple of weeks time)
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

seadart

« Reply #95 on: January 17, 2008, 08:57 »
I can see it now!
"And the Bafta award for best factual tv show goes to "The Singing Gardener" an everyday tale of lottie folk."
"Oh Gosh..... (Sob)........ This is such a thrill"
"First I would like to thank, my agent the film crew sound recordist and most of all the real stars of this show The Allotment and Vegetable Gardening Forum without who I could never have made this program!"
:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
Life? Don't talk to me about life!!
http://www.smiliegenerator.de/s34/smilies-151.png[/img]

dawninspain

« Reply #96 on: January 17, 2008, 09:39 »
Not sure if its already been mentioned but there used to be a really good Channel 4 programme with Monty Don called, I think, Real Gardens, which had Monty visiting each week 3 or 4 gardeners who were working on various projects (not expensive or complicated necessarily - just, say, creating a veg patch).  He would offer advice, help a bit, and then leave them too it.  The visits covered several months or even longer.

It was really good because it was not about quick fixes, or gardeners with loads of money.

I also like the Gardeners World slots when they visit gardeners with real passion, dedication  and skill - like the ones that hold various national collections of sometimes really obscure plants.  I find their enthusiasm infectious. For the same reason I like the programme where they visit people trying to get into the Yellow Book - but I prefer the ones who have done all the hard work themselves - not just got a landscape gardener in.

Real day to day gardening is what I would like to see.

Scribbler

Re: What do you want from a TV / Radio Gardening Programme ?
« Reply #97 on: January 17, 2008, 09:42 »

1 What do you want from a gardening programme?
2 What do you feel that you don't get from current TV / Radio programmes?
3 What would you prefer TV or Radio programme?
4 Would you download a radio programme for you mp3 or ipod and listen while you garden?

1 - Information about growing vegetables primarily, then possibly fruit. But not flowers, not garden design and not show gardens. It's all about allotments and veg patches. If the programme was longer than half an hour, some info on chooks too possibly. Ideally the programme would run through the vegetable growing year. It would cover different types of standard veg, early and late varieties, sowing times and crop rotation. Greenhouse crops too, such as toms, aubergines, cucumbers, peppers and chillies. Would also cover some more unusual veg - which are becoming more common as growers come from different cultural backgrounds. Eg Florence fennel, mooli, different beans

2 - These are just the things we're not getting from programmes at the moment. Percy Thrower would really cringe if he saw what programmes go out today. Even GQT on R4 has dumbed down and got rather silly.

3 - TV programme would be preferred.

4 - No. Who wants to listen to an MP3 player when you can talk to the neighbours or just listen to the birds?

Finally, the presenter - male or female - needs to exude calmness and authority, and needs to know what he or she is talking about. In the same mould as Percy Thrower or Geoff Hamilton.
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

wildeone

Re: Chickens
« Reply #98 on: January 17, 2008, 10:20 »
I think there has been enough coverage of Chickens in the past few weeks.

living things such as keeping chooks, bees, making homemade wine etc?

This is a very good idea. We are already in talks with a bee organisation about having them featured and we are looking into whether we are allowed bees on the allotment plot we have. I do like the idea of including topics such as homemade wine as well. Also there would be a greenhouse section.
Maybe a frugal living section that shows how to salvage pallets to make things, preserving gluts of produce as a 5-10 minute slot within an allotment programme would be great! Drying and bottling fruit, pickling etc etc

Selkie

« Reply #99 on: January 17, 2008, 18:12 »
Quote from: "WG."
I still think there should be a new section about GROWING FOR SHOWING.
I might have this all wrong but why would someone growing for show be willing to use a forum to share their ideas with the very people they are competing against?   It just seems 180 degrees out to me?? From what little I've seen of show growers, it is all about jealously guarding your own secrets.

The reason I love this forum dearly is that everyone is willing to share their experiences and knowledge for the express benefit of all the others.  The only person I know who wants to eat a 15ft carrot is Babe and that's because she is only growing one.

I have never so much as met anyone from this forum but yet I have received (and given) advice, support, ideas, seeds, plants and cyber-affection in significant quantities.  It is an heckuva nice place to hang out.

I'd like to second what Daithi has said; I personally wouldn't have any interest in growing prize winning vegetables  and I can't see that any champions would be too keen to share their prize-winning tips with anyone else. It is my understanding that such varieties of vegetable are bred for show rather than flavour :?

What I like about here is that no matter what part of the world you're in, or how little or how much you know, you're made feel welcome;the other people are incredibly friendly and caring

Scribbler

« Reply #100 on: January 17, 2008, 18:21 »
Is Daithi WG in Garlic - sorry Gallic?

Gaelic even...

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #101 on: January 17, 2008, 18:47 »
Quote from: "Scribbler"

Gaelic even...

:lol:  :lol:  Not only is Daithi Irish for David but Dewey is Welsh for David  :roll:  :wink:

WG.

« Reply #102 on: January 17, 2008, 18:50 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
Quote from: "Scribbler"

Gaelic even...

:lol:  :lol:  Not only is Daithi Irish for David but Dewey is Welsh for David  :roll:  :wink:
Thought that was Dai?  Mind you, there was the rugby player Dewey Morris  :?

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty

WG.

« Reply #104 on: January 17, 2008, 18:59 »
Wikipedia : derives from the Latin name rosmarinus, which literally means "dew of the sea"

So, RCTG, I can drop the name if you don't like being call David  :wink:  8)

xx
Veg gardening for children.

Started by DavidT on General Gardening

11 Replies
Last post December 04, 2009, 19:20
by DavidT
xx
yet another gardening dilemma

Started by chrissie B on General Gardening

12 Replies
Last post August 20, 2007, 12:57
by chrissie B
xx
Gardening programmes on TV

Started by mrs bouquet on General Gardening

0 Replies
Last post June 05, 2018, 15:06
by mrs bouquet
xx
Gardening and the soil

Started by James1 on General Gardening

1 Replies
Last post March 03, 2010, 17:14
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.137 seconds with 37 queries.