What I did on the plot today 2015

• 923 Replies

grendel

Re: What I did on the plot today 2015
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2015, 18:23 »
was going to go down the plot today - weather was good - woke up with my back killing me and barely able to move.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

Yana

« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2015, 20:35 »
Had to go today as was first bonfire weekend of the year and didn't want to miss that. Not that I had anything to burn but knew there would be a few good bonfires on the go. Not disappointed, and ended digging up a few parsnips that I swoped for sprouts and taking a nice bag of leeks home.
What is it with men and bonfires though??
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

Scottish Mike

« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2015, 21:02 »

Fire pretty!

I pruned my apple trees and a plum tree, only to get home and read that plums should be left until spring, so I'm concerned I was a wee bit too early.

Got so much tidying to do. I need to (ahem) have several bonfires (honest!) as I don't drive so that's my only way of removing waste. But everything's so wet I can't light anything! :(

teamspotty

• Experienced Member
  • Everything spotty....
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2015, 21:31 »
As I've been given the opportunity to spend some time at the allotment and the fact that we've let slip the allotment for a couple of years and not grown anything but weeds, it's been time to get it sorted. So the last few weeks I've been finishing off the Tame Wildlife Escape Ruination and Prevention device (TWERP - aka fencing) to keep the dog in. Constructed of broken pallets that I have painstakingly split/made panels and then tied in to to blackthorn hedging (ouchy). This is now complete all bar a small portion where the hedging doesn't have dalmatian sized holes. Upshot is the dog now comes with me which is upsetting his daytime routine of sleep and more sleep. This morning when we got in after his 06:00 walk, he curled up on the sofa and pointblank refused to get up to come to the allotment. So a few hours cutting down the blackthorn hedging to a manageable size and adding to the 10ft high burn pile which consists of apple tree prunings (after its Grade 1 treatment), blackthorn hedging and pallet remnants.

The allotment is starting to look manageable though lots of hard work required in the coming weeks....I just hope that cutting back the rest of the blackthorn bush (where even the thorns have thorns) is easier going as my hands look like pin cushions.

Everything spotty....

teamspotty

• Experienced Member
  • Everything spotty....
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2015, 21:34 »

Actually its the missus that loves lighting the bonfire, usually when the prevailing wind is in the direction of where I'm working so I get smoked out....

blackberryjam

« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2015, 21:41 »
I've not been able to go down my allotment this week due to the rotten  Virus that's going around . :(
But hubby went down today to check that everything was okay dug over one of the beds  and put a new lock on my shed.  :)

oldgrunge

« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2015, 21:48 »
Put up some not pretty but functional (and cheap!) cloches, in preparation for broad beans, peas, and carrots.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

Elm street

• Experienced Member
« Reply #82 on: February 08, 2015, 09:35 »
Yesterday I finished clearing the area for the new greenhouse whilst TOH finished clearing the old brassica bed.
Three hours on the plot and it's looking a lot tidier now and ready for the greenhouse base to be put down next weekend :)

neatntidy

« Reply #83 on: February 08, 2015, 16:10 »
Had a weed around overwintering garlic and onions then sat on my logpile bench contemplating the growing year ahead and what to put where.

Twitch

« Reply #84 on: February 08, 2015, 16:12 »
Today I sowed the first seeds of 2015  :)

5 Types of Chillies went in to one heated prop and 5 types of Tomato went in the other.

In my Polly tunnel went 20 Sharps express spuds in 5 bags, some lettuce and cabbage.
Along with my old Aladdin heater.

Also did a bit of weeding round my onions and garlic.

It’s only my second full year with a plot and still like a kid with a new toy  :D

Lardman

« Reply #85 on: February 08, 2015, 16:56 »
Cut down the old raspberry canes and thinned things out a bit. Pruned the espalier apples, and blueberry bushes ( No idea what I was doing so I've probably cut all the fruit off  ::) )

Bit of a general clear up and then mulched the rhubarb with some spent compost and chicken pooh.

Looking at the veg patch the beds are falling apart now, the wood has rotted, can't complain really after 5 years in contact with the soil. Not sure if I should rebuild or remove them though....  :unsure:  I didn't really get on well with them but the do make better use of the small space.

teamspotty

• Experienced Member
  • Everything spotty....
« Reply #86 on: February 08, 2015, 21:19 »

More trimming of the blackthorn hedging and tried in vain to get a bonfire going....

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2015, 13:33 »
Hi all
Looks like time to get started. Put spuds into conservatory to chit yesterday.
Down to the plot this morning where I dug over two raised beds and then added multipurpose compost along with some chicken manure pellets. Need to decide whether to put in broad bean seeds or start them at home.
Probably opt for a home start to avoid mice getting them before they even germinate.
Weather permitting I think tomorrow could be the day to prepare the potato bed
Cheers HH
Keep digging

teamspotty

• Experienced Member
  • Everything spotty....
« Reply #88 on: February 09, 2015, 20:30 »

Bonfire lit today and spent most of the day tending it to make sure all the blackthorn and apple tree prunings burnt...

beesrus

« Reply #89 on: February 09, 2015, 21:24 »
It wasn't the intention, but the afternoon was so beautiful, I couldn't resist.... heavenly. Ten degrees !
Wood chipped a new path, a bit of digging, and and the first closh of the season put down with a few cauliflower seedlings inside... what a grand sight after the Winter.
Another bonfire to get rid of the prunings, woodburner ash to the raspberries. The over winter aquadulce beans are looking good, no spot/rust like last Winter. Green manure just about ready to dig in.
allot9feb.jpg

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2011

Started by Paul Plots on Grow Your Own

2810 Replies
Last post January 01, 2012, 00:38
by Paul Plots
xx
What I did on the plot today 2018

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

355 Replies
Last post December 26, 2018, 17:48
by Offwego

Page created in 0.509 seconds with 38 queries.