What I did on the plot today 2015

• 923 Replies

Mattgregory27

• Experienced Member
Re: What I did on the plot today 2015
« Reply #390 on: April 13, 2015, 13:31 »
Just popped down in my lunch hour to do some weeding and ended up spending all my time collecting up everything that had been blown away over the weekend!!!

boddy

• Winner Pumpkin Competition - 2014
  • Experienced Member
« Reply #391 on: April 13, 2015, 15:12 »
I've moved over some weed suppressant, raked the areas beneath ( and dug out a few stubborn weeds that would not be suppressed). Then I've sown 3 rows of Bolthardy and a row of garlic.
Then I've dug over the soil in the greenhouse pulling out some couch grass and horsetail that has crept in from outside and put the soil back into the border form the middle after something lived in there in the summer and kindly had a good dig. I then put several watering cans full of water on to try and re moisten the soil, very dry in there. I will rig up my irrigation system again soon when some new tubing arrives, the old stuff was chewed through by my burrowers. I also have some compost to dig in when I'm  close to planting out my toms and cucumbers.

Just read the thread on tomatoes and realised I need to bring my tom seedlings in from my greenhouse at home at night...oops.
My favourite weed is a raspberry ;)

Urbanite

• Experienced Member
« Reply #392 on: April 13, 2015, 17:08 »
Weeded the onions and garlic, botched together a "strawberry wall" from three small pallets, membrane and some scrap timber (much to the bemusement of a coupla the old-timers that were knocking about), just waiting for some soaker hose to be delivered and I can plant it up with the thirty plants courtesy of Aldi.
. . . You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . .

Bohobumble

• Experienced Member
  • Location: Bucks allotment. Heavy clay. Hardiness zone 8a. Ave last frost 1st-10th Apr. First Frost 1st-10th Nov
« Reply #393 on: April 13, 2015, 22:45 »
Dug lots... and lots... of couch grass roots out of what is to be the onion bed :(

On the plus side I found some Anya potatoes I had missed that looked perfectly edible - had some for dinner; delicious :)

Pimento

• Experienced Member
« Reply #394 on: April 13, 2015, 23:02 »
Just reading through the last few days of the thread. Hampshire Hog, I love it that you planted some spring opinions. Is that a special General Election delicacy?  :D
I don't really look like my avatar.

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #395 on: April 14, 2015, 09:18 »
Hi Pimento clearly hit by auto text. hopefully the spring opinions will deter the fly by nights

Cheers HH
Keep digging

Yana

« Reply #396 on: April 14, 2015, 21:55 »
Watered, watered and then watered a bit more.
Weeded the Blackcurrant bed, raspberry bed and rhubarb bed. Amazed how much they have all come in in one week! Must be the warmer weather (which isn't going to last into the weekend).
Raided the comfrey bed of fellow plot holder (had his permission) and started off two buckets full of leaves and water to rot over the next 3-4 weeks.
Tied in new thornless blackberry so it can grow around the pallet compost bin. Should make that look better.
Checked new strawberry bed and have flowers and mini-fruits on some plants.
As the water has been turned on for the season, took opportunity to fill a water butt as bound to be a scrabble for the tap tomorrow as is predicted to be hotter than today. :(
Last bed to dig over tomorrow ready for beetroot and Swiss chard growing in modules.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #397 on: April 14, 2015, 22:11 »
Watered new seedlings a bit hot for April down here

Cheers HH

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #398 on: April 15, 2015, 19:25 »
A 10-can watering in April!  Spent some time filling in the beaten earth in front of my shed where i sit as it's been sinking.  Just as well because the dirt I took from my earth 'bank' was just right to shovel, not too wet or dusty.  I was going to do my usual bodge job but my dads voice in my head made me go and get a levelling plank  ::)  I put some artificial grass down and it looks well posh now  :tongue2:

Was proud to give old George some PSB because he didn't have any and was having roast for tea... I'm now knee deep in the stuff and it's not looking done anytime soon.  He then surprised me with some really lovely leeks and parsnips.

Yana

« Reply #399 on: April 15, 2015, 19:53 »
Got to the lottie early to do the remainder of the watering from yesterday. Can you believe it, 30 milns later someone put a sprinkler on and left it for about three hours!!
Earthed up the earlies, weeded the onions, took cover off brassica bed ready for planting up tomorrow.
Moved the comfrey to its new site so I can empty the bed it is in (using soil to top up new raised beds).

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #400 on: April 15, 2015, 20:20 »
A bit of weeding followed by lots more watering.
Checked temperature it hit 25 degrees centigrade here

Cheers HH

Chaz1985

• Experienced Member
« Reply #401 on: April 15, 2015, 20:43 »
'Attempted' to build my greenhouse that has been sat there forlornly for 9 months. 9.5 hours later, we've got the rear gable, side walls and front gable up but nowhere near finishing it off, have to get more panes cut tomorrow due to slight mishap but I have NEVER seen such idiotic instructions in my life and I use standard operating procedures (fancy instructions) on a daily basis for complex work in flow cytometry. Just a cheap black and white picture that doesn't show which way things go , some garbled numbers and more random completely rubbish pictures. That angry /frustrated that I may send the company a strong worded email as 'supposedly' the greenhouse 'should' only take 8 hours to build  :mad:.  The base ground spikes were a joke, I've attached them to 750mm metposts supports to keep them in the ground, several drill bits later.  :(

Right rant over, I'm now home with a large glass of vino and planning tomorrow's attack which won't be easy as it'll be attaching the top roof support single handedly, it needs to go on as the greenhouse at the moment isn't stable and a strong gust of wind will bend the rear and front gables which are only partially attached...  :unsure:

oldgrunge

« Reply #402 on: April 15, 2015, 21:23 »
It's well worth constructing a sound base for your greenhouse. My late Dad and I built  a 12' x 8' for my grandfather in 1973. We laid breeze blocks on a concrete foundation and bolted and cemented the frame to that. It has withstood all the intervening storms, and I'm still using it today. Had to replace one or two panes of glass though.
We come from the earth, we return to the earth, and in between we garden.

Chaz1985

• Experienced Member
« Reply #403 on: April 15, 2015, 21:43 »
It's well worth constructing a sound base for your greenhouse. My late Dad and I built  a 12' x 8' for my grandfather in 1973. We laid breeze blocks on a concrete foundation and bolted and cemented the frame to that. It has withstood all the intervening storms, and I'm still using it today. Had to replace one or two panes of glass though.

I've used 750mm long metposts which have been attached to the base spikes, so in total there's about 1m deep worth of metal on each corner in. I can't use concrete as it's on the plot other wise I would have gone down that route :) I don't think it'll be going anywhere anytime soon. If I had just used the base spikes supplied the base would have been next to useless!

Mattgregory27

• Experienced Member
« Reply #404 on: April 16, 2015, 08:19 »
Re-Sowed my tomatoes as the blowaway greenhouse door was left shut on the first hot day this year and I cooked them!!!  :(

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today - 2012

Started by DD. on Grow Your Own

2319 Replies
Last post December 31, 2012, 17:30
by Plot 6B
xx
What I did on the plot today 2024

Started by New shoot on Grow Your Own

69 Replies
Last post Yesterday at 21:00
by snowdrops

Page created in 0.794 seconds with 37 queries.