What I did on the plot today 2015

• 923 Replies

jmc1949

Re: What I did on the plot today 2015
« Reply #345 on: April 05, 2015, 19:01 »
Dug over a couple of beds. Repositioned the water barrel. Also sowed a few hispi cabbage, all year round cauli and runner bean hestia in the greenhouse.

Twitch

« Reply #346 on: April 05, 2015, 19:29 »

Parsnips already  :ohmy: how have you got them growing this early in cold soil? I struggle enough in May!

I sowed them this time last year after being informed that Grand National day is the time to sow....
and had a great crop :)

Though was a tad warmer last year....
Only time will tell.

:nowink:

Chaz1985

• Experienced Member
« Reply #347 on: April 05, 2015, 19:42 »
Dismantled 4 5m x 1.2m raised beds and the weed suppressant fabric from the paths as both areas were full of bind weed and I wanted to make the paths wider. Managed to dig over half the beds and paths before my back decided it'd had enough.

Hand pollinated the peach tree but noticed the bees were doing a pretty good job

Took home my first 'harvest' of tulips. I know you can't eat them but they're making me smile every time I look at the on the coffee table :)

teamspotty

• Experienced Member
  • Everything spotty....
« Reply #348 on: April 06, 2015, 15:29 »

Did a small bit of digging before deciding it was too hot and I'd probably get sunburnt if I carried on.

Forgot to look at the mistletoe, maybe check later once the heat has calmed down.
Everything spotty....

jmc1949

« Reply #349 on: April 06, 2015, 16:13 »
Repaired a raised bed at the back of plot 1, then re-organised all the spare wood. Turned to pick up a small spirit level and my back went into spasm. Just about made it home :(

Elm street

• Experienced Member
« Reply #350 on: April 06, 2015, 16:19 »
Parsnips, carrots and rainbow chard seeds sown. Two blackcurrant bushes planted and the greenhouse borders dug out and filled with MPC. A good mornings work :)

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #351 on: April 06, 2015, 17:57 »
spent an hour this afternoon and
Weeded  around my broad beans and onions,
watered my fruit trees, my earlies are really growing now and will need earthing up again  by Thursday. :D :D :D

Spinningsue

« Reply #352 on: April 06, 2015, 19:03 »
Yesterday and today actually...

I've sown pre-sprouted peas in root-trainers, sown beetroot - Chioggia and Detroit 2. Potted on Tigerella and Gardener's Delight tomatoes. Pricked out lettuce seedlings. Moved thyme and oregano into larger pots.

I've spent most of the last two days in the garden, it's been fab!  :D

snowdrops

« Reply #353 on: April 06, 2015, 20:00 »
At the plot for an hour, swoed 4 of 6 beds, decided to wait for onions to show before I did that bed,bed 6 still has brassicas in so that can wait. Then I weedkillered the ' grass' path & any other weeds I could find. Then forgot to pick PSB for dinner, got loads coming too. This was all after spending hours jet washing & scrubbing the greenhouse at home, then jet washed the slabs round it.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
« Reply #354 on: April 06, 2015, 21:54 »
Planted seed potatoes in the back garden (after digging that side over) ;)

gypsy

« Reply #355 on: April 06, 2015, 22:07 »
I have a lot of concrete on my plot from former tenants greenhouse bases, please bear this in mind if you are tempted to lay any concrete. This morning I dug up 4 paving slabs, or flags if you live round here, to make more growing space, then was too tired to move them. Went back 5pm and stacked 2 of them against the hut, still 2 to move when I have the strength.
Catherine

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #356 on: April 06, 2015, 22:13 »
I'd quite like some concrete as I had a sinking shed issue  :tongue2:

Ooh had a loverly time today- planted some Mange tout, carrots, shallots, spinach and more parsnips.  Chanced a handful of early dwarf french beans in the light ground (pre warmed with black plastic) but in shelter and under glass.

Slugs despatched= 120  :ohmy: most were on the other side of the plastic I had down warming the soil!

Yana

« Reply #357 on: April 06, 2015, 22:32 »
Weeded and fed raspberry beds, removed covers from two beds and planted out broad beans in one, sowed parsnips in the second one. Weeded onion beds, harvested last of the leeks and dug bed over.
Checked new strawberry bed to see if all plants had taken and pleasantly surprised to see they had.
Sowed carrots in two blue barrels, raked bed for last if the broad beans to be transplanted tomorrow.
Gave away 5-6 pallsets that I don't need anymore and general tidy up before going home well please with the day's work.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

chillimummy

« Reply #358 on: April 06, 2015, 23:03 »
Not a plot day today but a garden day. Plot tomorrow to sew broad beans and first earlies.
Made a raised bed in front garden to cover stony weedy area. Sewn plenty of flowers and looking forward to some colour.
In back garden pruned apple tree and cut grass.
Emptied cold frame as full of pots and trays and cobwebs. ;)
Sewn 2 gutters with peas and room for them now in cold frame. Insulated it with foam from old trampoline. Sewed lots of seeds indoors, tomatoes, cucumber, pumpkins and more brassicas.
Looking forward to plot day tomorrow but enjoyed today. Garden gets a bit neglected with having allotment!
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

Robster

« Reply #359 on: April 07, 2015, 06:22 »
I achieved most of what i needed to this weekend.  All the potatoes are in.  First early peas are netted and growing along nicely.  Planted out celeriac, savoy cabbage, parsley.  Weeded and fed the onions.  Planted out some lettuce.  I built a bubblewrap greenhouse in my unheated greenhouse and put my first tomatoes and marketmore cucumbers in it.  Sowed kale and swede seeds

xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
my plot today (pics)

Started by pawsnclaws on Grow Your Own

0 Replies
Last post January 25, 2010, 14:01
by pawsnclaws
xx
What I did on the plot today 2018

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

355 Replies
Last post December 26, 2018, 17:48
by Offwego

Page created in 0.762 seconds with 37 queries.