What I did on the plot today 2015

• 923 Replies

caroline800

Re: What I did on the plot today 2015
« Reply #105 on: February 14, 2015, 22:48 »
dug up and re-planted blueberry bush into a buried pot with ericaceous compost. 

the other blueberries are in a buried bath with ericaceous compost and it was interesting to see how much better they did than the one which was just in the soil.  hopefully it will do much better now its in its own ericaceous.

weeded between the fruit bushes and moved some raspberries which had "wandered"  :nowink:  back to the rows with the others.

Elm street

• Experienced Member
« Reply #106 on: February 15, 2015, 13:31 »
Erected the greenhouse frame on the base I installed yesterday :)

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
« Reply #107 on: February 15, 2015, 15:14 »
Very nice on the greenhouse.

I have planted 8 large buckets of garlic and 2 humongous buckets of Rooster potatoes. More to follow!
250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Cheap as chips, diy preferred
Will swap root cuttings etc

"There comes a point where Mother nature just says no, without a lot of electricity." Quote Beesrus

Yana

« Reply #108 on: February 15, 2015, 15:58 »
Erected the greenhouse frame on the base I installed yesterday :)

That's a great looking greenhouse Elmstreet. Oh how I wish we could have greenhouses on our site, never mind.

Eventually got the strawberries planted into the half barrels, and almost finished topping up tall barrels that will have carrots in.
OH was a diamond giving me a hand to move a load of fence panels that a fellow plot holder no longer wanted. Thing was, we had to carry them from the front garden of fellow plot holder, across a road and through someone's garden that backs onto the allotment site. They are going to be used on the communal area that is being built so they will be really useful.
Got home and OH had finished making me a bril multi-cell dibber for the 11x7 plug trays I had acquired  :)
Exhausting day but got loads done and the sunshine is beautiful as I sip a well earned cuppa.
I have my own cement mixer and not afraid to use it!!

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #109 on: February 15, 2015, 17:45 »
Brief visit this morning to plot widened a narrow bed ready for a new raised bed to erect this week.
Sowed some broad beans in the conservatory and three garlic bulbs down at the plot.
Weather pretty warm here reached 10 Celsius this PM.

Cheers HH
Keep digging

Eblana

« Reply #110 on: February 15, 2015, 19:04 »
OH and myself spent a great 3.5 hours up the plot this morning and got heaps done.  We got another run of the fence completed - just one side left to do.  We got the early spuds into the bed in the PT.  I dug two beds outside while my husband dug and rotovated the long bed in the PT, I was really surprised that the outside beds were dry enough to dig over as normally I wouldn't have been able to get near them for at least another month.  I found a lovely parsnip that I had missed and there were a handful of sprouts on the end of the stalks I was digging out so a nice surprise on the veg front for dinner tonight.  Then we came home and I spent the afternoon doing my sowing plan for the year and sorting out my seed box.  I am feeling so happy.

luke34

« Reply #111 on: February 15, 2015, 19:19 »
went into polytunnel today and found a sun gold tomato plant growing.looking abit sorry for itself so put it in  a pot and  brought it home
Capture.JPG
« Last Edit: February 15, 2015, 21:08 by luke34 »

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #112 on: February 16, 2015, 19:18 »
Today , while we are still starting off on 2 new allotments, on plot 1 we put up a frame for a walk in tunnel, after seeing shop bought ones we have made ours ourselves.
The frame is 25mm electrical plastic conduit fixed together with electrical saddle clips , each gable will have , 3 x 2 struts but we haven't done them yet. The covers is scaffold debris netting which you can get 50m by 1.5m for about £25, so I am hoping to build it all for around £50 for a 3m wide x 3.5m long tunnel.
This is fixed to the ground with 50mm x 50mm stakes driven into the ground as far as you can , we sledged ours in at least 3 ft deep, and then cable tie the conduit to the stakes

so back to the subject today we put up the frame. the weather forecast for the weekend is V High winds combined with the spring tides so we will leave the cover off for a while

teamspotty

• Experienced Member
  • Everything spotty....
« Reply #113 on: February 16, 2015, 20:54 »

Considering the awful weather here....

Reorganised/tidied the shed, now all the tools are tidy and there's loads of room in it. Put up shelves. It looks really cool in there now!

Tied in some more fence panels, reckon I've got about 10 panels to go to finish it all.

Managed to bend back into place a tine of a fork using a length of aluminium pipe as a lever... I now have another fork I can use!
Everything spotty....

Hampshire Hog

« Reply #114 on: February 17, 2015, 15:36 »
Put up raised bed as planned and took down 4 trugs full of compost from pots and last years tomatoes to fill it.
Still needs a lot more but my composter are doing well and a friendly mole has saved me the bother of driving some of it!!
Cheers HH

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #115 on: February 17, 2015, 16:54 »
Digging in a t shirt :-) Sunny and no wind- despite the epic rain yesterday our plots drain really well, and the weeds were falling out of the soil when I dug it over.  Lovely  8)  Garlic and BB looking ok, but honestly- c'mon PSB let's be avin you...

Offwego

• Experienced Member
« Reply #116 on: February 17, 2015, 17:48 »
Put the last few strainers on the tunnel frame , we wont put the net cover on for a few weeks yet.
put the net cover over the fruit tunnel, now looking good
edged the path  as the grass was migrating over, roll on March !!

Yana

« Reply #117 on: February 17, 2015, 17:54 »
Finished topping up the tall barrels for carrots. Mixed sieved compost and sand so fingers crossed should be some good ones I hope. Can't believe that even though I covered each barrel with a paving slab, as I knew the foxes would have a field day, there was a load of fox poop on one of the paving slabs. How can they jump that high and land so precisely??
Planted strawb runners in new bed after raking in some BFB. Having to cover everything that gets planted/dug over/topped up as the foxes are in a right naughty mood at the moment.

teamspotty

• Experienced Member
  • Everything spotty....
« Reply #118 on: February 17, 2015, 19:54 »

Digging - done the easy bit of digging, worst digging still to come. Raked over the next bit of ground ready for digging.

Put more fencing up, only 4 more panels to do and the fencing will be finished. Unfortunately, I can only put 2 in before reaching the brick pile which needs to be moved, but to move the brick pile I need to sort behind the shed...

Unwrapped my order of blackcurrants, redcurrants and goosegobs, seems though the raspberries are missing, should have taken a closer look. Hey ho, the bushes are good quality.

teamspotty

• Experienced Member
  • Everything spotty....
« Reply #119 on: February 18, 2015, 19:47 »

Thought I'd try and make digging a bit easier by stripmining (strimming with brushcutter to the ground and raking). Cleared nearly 3 beds width. Sharped the brushcutting blade.

Cleared blackthorn cuttings up (blooming awful stuff).

Moved well rotted compost and soil to the greenhouse so I can mix it up and get some seeds planted in the shelter as tmoz is going to be raining.

Took a ph reading for the brassica patch, 6.5 which means no need to lime...

xx
what I did NOT do on the plot today.

Started by richrua on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 30, 2013, 10:29
by BabbyAnn
xx
Been to my plot today for......

Started by jacnal on Grow Your Own

32 Replies
Last post October 23, 2007, 21:17
by gobs
xx
What I did on the plot today 2018

Started by robinahood on Grow Your Own

355 Replies
Last post December 26, 2018, 17:48
by Offwego
xx
What I did on the plot today 2017

Started by mumofstig on Grow Your Own

513 Replies
Last post December 27, 2017, 20:40
by Plot 1 Problems

Page created in 0.484 seconds with 37 queries.