Pineberry

• 9 Replies

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
Pineberry
« on: December 30, 2014, 06:22 »
Has anyone ever grown any? They are white strawberries (aparently what the red ones were developed from) but which taste a bit like pineapple. I have some seed and if I can grow them it will be a taliking point locally. I have read some reviews on flavour, some say delicious and some say insipid. I suppose if they were really good they would still be grown.

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
Re: Pineberry
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2014, 10:35 »
Only planted mine last summer so no crop yet - but I've heard some good things about them. According to wikipedia they are a strawberry cultivar and have only been around since 2009

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pineberry

(Your info sounds closer to 'Alpine strawberry' - which I think was available in Europe long before today's strawberries were introduced form the New World)

Pip pip,
Balders

tosca100

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2014, 12:43 »
OOoo-errr it seems it depends where you look. I'm not really bothered where they came from but it seems someone's been telling me porkies. :lol: You are right it seems, according to   http://strawberryplants.org/2010/09/pineberry-pineberries/     

Hoping we won't need a greenhouse with the sort of summers we are supposed to have, but if we gat plants I may bring them in for the worst of the winter.

GrowinGrowinGone

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 19:01 »
I've grown Alpine strawberries from seed, not sure if they are the same?  If they are, they are a waste of time, you would need an allotment just to grow them to get a decent amount.  They do taste nice though, a kind of creamy flavor but never got a hint of pineapple.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2014, 19:02 by GrowinGrowinGone »
This is my Allotment, There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without my Allotment I am nothing, without me, my Allotment is nothing

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2014, 19:52 »
Alpine strawberries are different - they are very small. I think i read that there was a King of France who had a very large area of land given over to growing them - you need a lot of them to make anything substantial as the fruits are indeed very small.
http://www.vegetablegardener.com/item/3473/alpine-strawberries
I grow some alpine strawberries at home and on the plot - I just eat a few direct from the plant... no point taking them home as they'd be laughed out of the kitchen - but I like 'em, small that they are.

The pineberry is basically a modern strawberry that has been selected over generations to promote/enhance the taste of pineapple that someone had tasted in a particular plant. From tosca's link it seems that there are strawberry breeders who are close to releasing a pineberry that will have fruit as big and reliable as other (modern) strawberries but with the pineapple taste. Could be interesting...

Pip pip,
Balders

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 17:51 »
Just a word of warning, I purchased some 'Pineberry' Strawberries from eBay - which turned out to be just normal red Strawberries! Obviously by the time the fruit had appeared it was too late to do anything about it!

I notice that black and purple strawberry seeds are available on eBay from China and Hong Kong - anyone tried these?

dmg

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 21:47 »
Hi Tosca,
I have them growing on my plot and do be honest I am not that impressed with them. They are now going on to their 3rd year and the yield has been pitiful- only a handful of berries over a couple of dozen plants albeit very nice tasting and the pineapple hint is there. The berries themselves are quite small also, I grew them alongside the regular strawberries and they beat the pineberries hands down.

Dmg

tosca100

« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2015, 02:38 »
Thanks all. I'll sow them and see what happens, but will expect little. ;)

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 17:29 »
I got mine from dmg (thanks) -

doesn't sound too promising for me (or Kevin67 who I sent some runners last week)  :(

Oh well, can but try.

Pip pip,
Balders

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2015, 10:00 »
I have some runners given to me by a plot neighbour, who said they were quite small fruit but very tasty. She said they needed a period of cold like strawberries to ensure they make flower buds, so  they are outside on the plot, still in their small pots.
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Pineberry

Started by Swing Swang on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 31, 2010, 20:55
by New shoot
xx
pineberry new strawberry

Started by strawberryshortcake on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post April 03, 2012, 13:15
by jay001
xx
Pineberry & Framberry

Started by Tomatofreak on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 09, 2012, 23:29
by Tomatofreak
clip
White strawberry or pineberry?

Started by erikaz1 on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 07, 2015, 12:33
by allotmentann

Page created in 0.979 seconds with 37 queries.