Online Vegetable Seedlings

• 6 Replies

wbmkk

• Experienced Member
Online Vegetable Seedlings
« on: December 23, 2014, 14:27 »
OK, I know it's a long while before we'll be needing to get our vegetable seedlings, but a recent email has prompted this question.

I usually grow tomatoes from seed, using a proper electric propagator, then a home made 'double light bulb' contraption after they get pricked out, up until the end of May. This year I tried chilli peppers too, but only the cayenne seeds actually germinated. 3 or 4 other varieties never grew ... so that was a waste of my money.

A plot-holder nearby told me he used to do something similar to me, but now just buys in his tomato, pepper seedlings, as well as many others.

My question is therefore ... which is the best online vegetable supply company ?

I have used Brookside nursery before (for flowers) and it was their email that made me think.

thank you .. and Merry Christmas to all :mad:

fatcat1955

Re: Online Vegetable Seedlings
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 16:10 »
I think that it is a numbers game, most of the seedlings are sold in multiples of ten. Do you really want ten Toms or peppers of the same variety? I sow mine but if I get no plants from them I go to a local GC and buy the amount I want.

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 17:30 »
My friend is using Rocket Garden next year to give herself a bit of a break. It's obviously more expensive than seeds, but the site looks good.

3759allen

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 18:01 »
i've never tried buying seedlings. but i would say at that vulnerable stay being posted is not the best thing in the  world.

i've found that i don't need to start seedlings off that early. i done a trial last year and found that the plants that come from the seed that was germinated in the poly tunnel (later) gave far better, stronger and heavier cropping plants. and a lot less hassle of moving in and out and hardening off.

this year i will be doing one tom and cuc very early (to get a crop asap), one tom and cuc a little later to keep the cropping constant. and everything else when it's hot enough to germinate the seeds in the tunnel

i will just us a heated room and the window sill using the tin foil trick for the first 4 plants.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 03:11 »
Biggest problem I have with buying seedlings is the lack of varieties available.  I've never had a problem with mail-order plug plants in terms of them travelling in the post; the ones I have bought came in bubble-packs that held them snugly but prevented any damage from being banged around in transit (and I'm sure the company would replace them if they were damaged).

For me I look at Seedlings as being a replacement for any plants I try to raise and fail, and in those instances I just go to the local garden centre and buy whatever they have available, and provided I don't buy early / to order their plants are usually "on offer" by then and cheap!

The F1 Cucumber seed I buy is more than £1 / seed (except that I try to buy the seed in the sale at the end of the previous season) and the garden centre's plants, even for fancy F1-all-female varieties, are never that high.  Similarly with Sweetpeas - a packet is £X for Y seeds, and a little pot of seedlings is usually a similar price (sad, I know, but I count the seedlings in the pot and only buy the ones with the most plants!!)

strangerachael

• Weedybeanz
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 13:30 »
Do you have a friend or relative who also grows? I usually start off my mum's tomatoes for her, along with my own, as she is often away in March and April, so can't look after them.
If you were to supply the seeds and a little something for their trouble, perhaps you could find someone with a little extra greenhouse room and come to an arrangement? I would depend on how many seedlings you were talking about I suppose....
Rachael

Salmo

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 15:58 »
The postage on plants makes them expensive but can be worth it if you want something special.

Garden centres usually have a choice of varieties and their toms and pepper plants are cheap enough.

You are pretty safe with the likes of toms/peppers/cues from a garden centre but you do see some plants such as beans, sweetcorn or brassicas on offer when they are far too early or late to hope to get a decent crop. I always think this is a great shame as the people who get caught out are beginners on their first venture into gardening and may be put off growing their own.

xx
Online seeds

Started by dazza on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post February 17, 2009, 11:33
by dazza
xx
Anyone know where I can buy compost online?

Started by TheOnlyGothInTheVillage on Grow Your Own

27 Replies
Last post March 09, 2011, 12:04
by WhiteWolf
xx
Online Retailer????

Started by fatbelly on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post July 06, 2007, 11:44
by crowndale
xx
Non online veg software

Started by Tom Parrot on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post February 21, 2016, 17:10
by lettice

Page created in 0.387 seconds with 36 queries.