Spurs

• 5 Replies

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
Spurs
« on: December 23, 2014, 13:31 »
One of my hens has grown spurs! I don't mean little buds, I mean actual spurs, currently about 1/2" long, maybe a bit more. None of her sisters, nor her mum, have got them, & it's only happened over the last few months. Any ideas why? She's 3.5yrs old.

Prod

Re: Spurs
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 14:05 »
Lots of hens have spurs and they are not usually a problem, it is just the breed or the way they are bred. If they become a problem it is very easy to remove them with a pair of pliers (have some purple spray handy when you do it)

I have two Buff Orpington Cockerels who are actually very tame (as this breed tends to be) but they are big birds and cause damage to the hens even without be aggressive. I have de spurred them twice each, they grow back but become 'stumpier' (if that is the right word) i.e. the point of the spur eventually becomes just a nub.

Catsmuvva

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 18:19 »
I'm used to seeing spurs on my rooster, but I thought it was peculiar that 1 out of 4 Jersey Giant hens had suddenly developed them after 3 years.

joyfull

• Monarch Engineering Ltd
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 18:30 »
Emily one of my girls has big spurs, quite normal :)
Staffies are softer than you think.

Sassy

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 11:27 »
You can also just file the spurs. If cutting with pliers or similar it is best to avoid where possible cutting through any veins. If the spurs are whitish you can see where they are. If you cannot see best to trim and file so not sharp.  :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

Prod

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2014, 08:08 »
You don't actually cut them off with the pliers. Hold the bird under one arm and, taking one leg firmly in your left hand (if you are right handed) you put the pliers around the spur and give it a firm twist, the spur will come off in one piece, it should look cone shaped and hollow. There should be very little bleeding but use purple spray to stop any and protect it from infection. I have only ever de spurred cockerels so, unless it is causing your hen a problem, I would leave her. ;)

xx
Spurs

Started by sussexchook on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post June 23, 2016, 19:39
by Aunt Sally
xx
Spurs

Started by Midwife on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post June 07, 2008, 22:43
by muntjac
xx
Spurs

Started by Prod on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post October 21, 2012, 13:45
by joyfull
xx
hen growing spurs ?

Started by scoobs on The Hen House

17 Replies
Last post October 11, 2009, 20:25
by scoobs

Page created in 0.24 seconds with 29 queries.