how to kill couch grass

• 7 Replies

ricky

how to kill couch grass
« on: December 21, 2014, 12:23 »
Hi I have a large plot of ground I wouldn't love to culture 2 years ago I got worked really hard got it ploughed and rotavated I sowed out meadows wildflower mix the first year was great but the couch grass came back and smothered and choked my flowers now my friends I need help to rid my land of this grass I've sprayed it with weed killer should I just keep spraying every month until the spring or cover it with black plastic I'm at a loss 40 years of gardening experience I won't let this beat me thanks

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: how to kill couch grass
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2014, 12:26 »
There's not really a lot you can do with it at this time of year, spraying will be ineffectual as the grass is practically dormant. You need to wait until spring when it is actively growing.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Goosegirl

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2014, 13:34 »
It's possible the rotovating broke up their roots so you have more of them now. I believe a wildflower meadow needs a poor and nutrient-deficient soil so, apart from hand-digging the couch roots out, this will hopefully reduce the invasion of the grass and also help your flowers to establish. I'm not sure if covering with black plastic will eventually kill it off or just let it lie dormant until it's removed. If you spray, leave it until it is actively growing in mid-spring - but so will your wildflowers be doing.  :wacko:
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2014, 13:06 »
I've not got so many years experience but much of what I have got has involved battle with couch grass and creeping buttercup.
From what I've seen the best method to get on top of couch is to dig by hand and remove the roots as you come across them. As GG says, rotavating will just chop the roots up into lots of little pieces that will all tend to become viable couch themselves.
Covering with black membrane will weaken the couch - I found on my soil it tended to make it easier to pull large amount of root in one go (once the membrane was removed). I never managed to completely kill it off using membrane alone - I guess the root system was spread out past the membrane...
Weed killer seems to have less impact on couch than you might hope for - and at this time of year really wouldn't be effective.
Sounds like the area of land you are talking about might be a little too big to work by hand... its a bit of a swine but you should be able to weaken and eventually kill with (a lot of) perseverance.  ;)

Pip pip,
Balders

Dave NE

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2015, 09:08 »
It took me 7 years to kill off mares tail in another garden and I am still struggling with couch grass after 26 years here, I don't have much left but the thing with CG is if you miss a bit it will send out runners and when you find the mother plant and remove it the runners will remain and start the whole process again, its a very frustrating persistent weed, Dave
Today i will be mainly wearing no trousers

andysmum

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 10:11 »
While my garden has been frozen solid or covered in snow I have resorted to gardening on YouTube ,I watched a video by a chap who discovered by accident that covering the ground with Barley straw killed the grass, he did some research and concluded that as the straw broke down it released a chemical that killed grass roots but nothing else.
I don't know if it works and have no need to try it but it must be Barley straw

Sorry I made a mistake it's not on you tube it's an article in Marches Kitchen garden magazine  ::).

caroline800

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 01:10 »
Was chatting to a fellow allotmenteer at the car shop yesterday and he mentioned Mexican Marigolds apparently kill couch grass  :)

He hadn't tried it but said he saw something about this on the Sarah Raven site.  I found it on the site here http://www.sarahraven.com/flowers/seeds/annuals/tagetes_minuta.htm  it mentions bindweed and perennial weeds but not specifically couch grass  ;)

says here https://wellywoman.wordpress.com/2012/03/09/the-weed-killing-plant/ it also gets rid of eelworm too  :)

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2015, 20:07 »
I have read somewhere that thickly sown turnips will stop couch grass spreading. I don't think it kills it just suppresses it.

xx
How to kill grass in gravel !!!!

Started by Mischief on General Gardening

24 Replies
Last post August 13, 2009, 21:21
by Yorkie
angry
couch grass

Started by ricky on General Gardening

4 Replies
Last post September 21, 2014, 21:53
by Comfr3y
xx
Couch Grass -

Started by Daisy on General Gardening

10 Replies
Last post January 07, 2008, 20:16
by WG.
xx
Help!! couch grass in lawn

Started by rosiecider on General Gardening

5 Replies
Last post August 26, 2015, 15:54
by rosiecider

Page created in 0.143 seconds with 31 queries.