Hugelkultur composting

• 4 Replies

Muddywaters

Hugelkultur composting
« on: December 17, 2014, 20:10 »
Has anyone tried making Hugelkultur compost beds? ( basically composting logs) A mate of mine is trying it. I am a bit sceptical but it sounds interesting and wondered what the pros and cons were.
Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.

GrowinGrowinGone

• Experienced Member
Re: Hugelkultur composting
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 22:58 »
The videos I have seen (on youtube) of Sepp Holzer doing this on his land, it looks fantastic and nobody could argue it works for him.  It does contradict the idea of burying any wood in the soil, as people say it robs the soil of nitrogen to decompose.  Pro's - less watering, less weeding maybe, it's raised so wont be to wet.  Cons - you need a lot of material, and a lot of work to construct 1. 
This is my Allotment, There are many like it, but this one is mine. Without my Allotment I am nothing, without me, my Allotment is nothing

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 23:47 »
I've got one bed on my plot which I made into a hugelkultur bed, the year before last.  I used it to lift the growing medium out of the wet end of my plot, which flooded at every heavy rain. It works at that quite well and I grew tomatillos and squashes on it last year.  But I think my raised beds work just as well at giving a well drained growing area. When the logs underneath finally rot down I will probably just build another raised bed in its place.   

I think it ( the hugelkultur) works best if you can construct really big mounds and as far as I can see it works best in a pretty dry climate, as it stores rainwater and prevents storm runoff.
Anne

Muddywaters

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2014, 21:53 »
Thanks both. Yes I thought the problem of reduced nitrogen would be a huge negative and need constant re-adjustment. I live in Manchester, so not known for its drought conditions! I will watch with interest how my mate gets on.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2014, 10:30 »
Strictly speaking the woody material 'borrows' rather than 'robs' the nitrogen from the soil, although it probably should be regarded as an extremely long term loan when it comes to large quantities of very woody material.

It's possible that the water retention properties of the material help to offset that to some extent by reducing the amount of leaching of soil nitrogen, especially on more free-draining soils.

Not sure how many people have ready access to free or cheap logs to use for this purpose - in many areas they're hard to come by due to the popularity of domestic log burners!  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

xx
Hugelkultur anyone?

Started by chairmanphil on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 29, 2012, 10:49
by Alastair-I
xx
Hugelkultur principle.

Started by Russell Atterbury on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post October 21, 2020, 05:49
by Russell Atterbury
clip
Anyone tried Hugelkultur beds?

Started by Nobbie on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post December 17, 2020, 14:45
by Nobbie
xx
composting

Started by alan bell on Grow Your Own

19 Replies
Last post March 04, 2009, 16:34
by peapod

Page created in 0.336 seconds with 37 queries.