Under Siege !

• 34 Replies

Bodger

Under Siege !
« on: January 15, 2008, 17:01 »
Bodgers Nostrils were really twitching this morning as he let the chickens out :x
 What I call the 'Cock Field' wreaked of Charlie this morning. :shock:  No ! Not the ladies perfume :oops:  :oops:  :oops: Its the name that some of us country bumpkins have given to the poultry keepers worst nightmare the fox. :x

He must have had a good mooch around the chicken field last night and left his calling card, because his unmistakable aroma was exceptionally strong all over it.

I wont be sleeping quite as comfortably for a while until I get him. It'll definately be a matter of keeping one eye open and an ear cocked. The problem is that we have double glazing and a cat with a foot fetish. :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  If the window is left open, our darling cat jumps in through it and then fangs hold of the nearest set of toes that are dangling from under the duvet :shock: Its had me on a number of occasions ! The b*****d :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

I'm plotting his, the fox not the cats, downfall right now. This is war :twisted:  :twisted:  :twisted:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Under Siege !
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 17:07 »
Do you use electric fences Bodger  :?:

Bodger

Under Siege !
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 17:10 »
The main sheds are protected by the electric fence but not all of my chicken shanty is :cry:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Under Siege !
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2008, 17:15 »
So they'll be safe at night, when locked up  :?:

Is it mainly the chooks outside the electric fence during the day that are at risk  :?:

Bodger

Under Siege !
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008, 17:27 »
The birds outside during the day will be at risk, but a determined fox will also make a right mess of some pretty rugged chicken pens in an attempt to get in. Brand new chicken netting is not strong enough as I've known to my cost in the past.

My best ever show winner was nobbled off his perch as he slept a few years ago.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Under Siege !
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2008, 17:34 »
Hmm... I tell people that chicken wire keeps chickens in but does not keep foxes out, and they are often suprised.  

So you'll have to be on day time shot gun patrol until you've got him.  And more electric fencing needed  :(

Bodger

Under Siege !
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2008, 17:46 »
My mate and I will be out with the lamp and the shotty but not in this weather :shock:  I also have a catch alive trap which will need a bit of renovation before being set.

Anybody want a fox skin through the post for a tanning project ? and before anyone says anything, he wont be needing it where he's going. :roll:  :roll:  :roll:

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Under Siege !
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2008, 17:56 »
I hope he's not got lots of relatives that will be coming to the funeral  :shock:

Jellyhead

Under Siege !
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2008, 18:04 »
Well tell me off if I am having another blond moment but, my theory is, that, foxes are a little, not altogether maybe but certainly a little, put off by the smell of dogs. I have 5 dogs of varying sizes and I have not seen, heard or smelt foxes on our land. We have about 5 acres and the dogs go on some but not all of it. I can't help but feel that there is a connection, so my idea would be, to dogless chickeners, borrow a dog or two to scent mark round your chicken area and see what happens :oops:  :lol:  :lol: Oh and I used to live in Essex. :?  :wink:
Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most!!

mashauk

Under Siege !
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2008, 18:10 »
Is it an urban myth that if a fox and a cat have a ruck the cat will win (if he's fit and on his own territory)?  If so, why not collect cat pee and put that in a strategic place to deter Basil!

This is obviously rubbish or someone would have mentioned it :lol:

Bodger

Under Siege !
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2008, 18:13 »
Because its an old wives tale and it doesn't work. :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Jellyhead

Under Siege !
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2008, 18:14 »
Well theres a thought I have 8 cats too  :D

David.

Under Siege !
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2008, 18:16 »
Quote from: "Aunt Sally"
Hmm... I tell people that chicken wire keeps chickens in but does not keep foxes out(

I use 'weld mesh' and the foxes walk past our garden.

Foxy

Under Siege !
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2008, 18:23 »
Bodger, can you put old clothes, jumpers etc. on a couple old fence posts to confuse the fox? As well as you know...............first thing in the morning when its umm quite concentrated :shock:

Jellyhead

Under Siege !
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2008, 18:26 »
Bodger I am sure there is something in the doggy smell, I cant believe (touch wood) that there have been no sightings round my chook pens. :?

Page created in 0.357 seconds with 36 queries.