Growing garlic Cristo

• 9 Replies

Optimistic Gardener

• Experienced Member
Growing garlic Cristo
« on: November 02, 2014, 16:27 »
Hi
I'm trying out garlic Cristo in my raised bed over the winter. I planted the bulbs on 5 October alongside some shallots.  I've never grown either before. 

Well the shallots are about 3-4" tall and looking good.  However the garlic hasn't shown any shoots at all so far. I appreciate it has been quite dry and warm recently.  An experienced gardener I asked recently said that the garlic wouldn't start to shoot until we'd had a frost. Is that right please?

New shoot

• Global Moderator
Re: Growing garlic Cristo
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2014, 16:42 »
Garlic is triggered into growth by the cold, but does not necessarily need a frost to get going. 

Have a gentle furtle and check if the cloves still feel firm and are not rotting.  If it is OK, it is probably making roots and will shoot soon.  Whenever I have started it in pots (in seasons when the plot is too wet to risk planting direct) I've been amazed how much root growth it puts on compared to green growth on top  :)

Optimistic Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 16:45 »
Thanks New Shoot. I shall have a gentle furtle!
OG

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 16:45 »
  An experienced gardener I asked recently said that the garlic wouldn't start to shoot until we'd had a frost. Is that right please?

I'm not sure that's right  ::) but the first thing they do is grow a mass of roots - so it follows that they won't grow shoots for a few weeks, which would normally be............after a frost  :D So I think it's probably coincidence, rather then the frost causing growth IYSWIM

AnneB

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 17:19 »
I think it is quite variety dependent too.  I have planted several varieties this year: Messidrome, Purple Wight, Russo di Sulmona, Solent Wight and Edenrose.  The Messidrome and Solent Wight haven't shown yet, but the others have. Planted 3 weeks ago.

Optimistic Gardener

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 17:24 »
Thanks everyone.  I won't worry just yet then. I think the temperature is due to fall a little more this coming week anyway.

Robster

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 05:50 »
I planted my shallots and garlic about a month ago.  My shallots are all up with lots of growth on and the garlic is only just showing.  So I think that the garlic is just slower and nothing to worry about.

BabbyAnn

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 09:39 »
  An experienced gardener I asked recently said that the garlic wouldn't start to shoot until we'd had a frost. Is that right please?

I'm not sure that's right  ::) but the first thing they do is grow a mass of roots - so it follows that they won't grow shoots for a few weeks, which would normally be............after a frost  :D So I think it's probably coincidence, rather then the frost causing growth IYSWIM

He is partly right - it depends on the variety as already pointed out.  The frost (or at least a good drop in soil temperature) breaks the dormant stage of the garlic and it will start to throw out roots first.  I think some of the hardnecks from cold regions are more prone to this than some of the Mediterranean cultivars but I could be wrong (read it somewhere but can't remember where - I recall it mentioned that those regions that do not get winters cold enough could pop the garlic into the fridge overnight to start the process before planting.  I think this was from a website in the US)

To be honest, I'd rather not see any top growth until after January - some of the early maturing ones usually show about then, the later maturing ones from about March depending on the weather of course ... a mild winter will bring things along a lot quicker than a deep freeze.

Growster...

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 10:06 »
We planted out a packet of Cristo a week ago, and already the top growth is over an inch, while the roots are about the same!

The short row of Thermidrome however, aren't showing anything so far!

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 10:24 »
Thermidrome planted on Sunday 26th October up an inch or more by Saturday 1st November.        More top growth than roots so far.      First time with thermidrome surprised by the speed of growth.
Do you really need al that lettuce/

xx
Cristo garlic

Started by shokkyy on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post April 18, 2013, 21:32
by shokkyy
xx
Growing Garlic

Started by jenjen on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post May 06, 2009, 14:42
by Jay The Digger
xx
growing garlic

Started by Flump on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 01, 2010, 14:50
by Flump
xx
Growing garlic

Started by Michael D on Grow Your Own

42 Replies
Last post November 17, 2010, 23:32
by Salmo

Page created in 0.672 seconds with 38 queries.