Garlic to deter mice from bean seeds?

• 10 Replies

Nobbie

Garlic to deter mice from bean seeds?
« on: November 01, 2014, 10:34 »
Last year the mice came and carefully dug up and ate all my broadbean seeds, so this year I read somewhere about using garlic to deter them. I've mashed up 6 cloves and added to the dry seed with just enough water to cover them and them given it a good shake and left it overnight. My hope is that the seed will now smell like garlic to the little blighters and they'll leave it alone.

Anyone tried this sort of thing, any success? my one concern is that a compound in the garlic will adversely affect the germination of the beans as it's been sucked right into the seed rather than just used as a coating (which could wash off)

beesrus

Re: Garlic to deter mice from bean seeds?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2014, 13:06 »
I haven't had the need Nobbie. What I do is simply net the bed and peg/weigh it down. As long as it's "watertight", that seems to do the trick for beans, peas and everything else those little darlings like to nibble. But then, maybe my mice are wimps.

Christine

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2014, 09:33 »
We have a couple of local cats that patrol the allotments and it has helped enormously with the mice - just a shame about the other things they do.

Salmo

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2014, 11:36 »
If you sow broad beans 3 or 4 inches deep and firm the soil the mice will not bother. They take longer to come through but that does not matter.

The alternative is to sow in modules, or better still root trainers and plant out as soon as they emerge.

One mistake that people make with broad beans is to allow them to get several inches high before planting out. Those plants are often too soft and struggle to survive the Winter.

Nobbie

« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2014, 09:10 »
Thought I'd update this for anyone who does a search. This doesn't work :( Every single broad bean was carefully excavated and eaten. I'll sow some in modules and plant out.

LotuSeed

« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2014, 11:27 »
Thought I'd update this for anyone who does a search. This doesn't work :( Every single broad bean was carefully excavated and eaten. I'll sow some in modules and plant out.

I seem to remember Harry Dodson planting some of his seeds with chopped up gorse in order to keep the mice from having a nibble. Hope you have better luck with the module-sown ones. 😉
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

BabbyAnn

« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2014, 14:34 »

I have to admit that when I saw the title, I was a bit dubious - when storing garlic, you are advised to make sure it is safe from mice from eating it.

Mice like nearly all mammals are sensitive to capsaicin (that's what gives the heat in a hot chilli)  How about dusting some chilli powder where you sow your seeds (you might need to dust again later if the ground is wet until they germinate)

Christine

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2014, 18:44 »
I'm afraid I always start all types of beans in trays or modules then plant out. Peas too. Me much and mice nil.

gypsy

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2014, 21:55 »
I haven't had the need Nobbie. What I do is simply net the bed and peg/weigh it down. As long as it's "watertight", that seems to do the trick for beans, peas and everything else those little darlings like to nibble. But then, maybe my mice are wimps.
Yes, your mice are wimps :D Ours would chew through the nets
Catherine

Ema

« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2014, 19:02 »
I found a stash of broad beans with a chestnut that a rodent was savinv by my spuds. Most people on my site put chicken wire down to keep the rodents off
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 19:03 by Ema »

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2014, 19:04 »
Chicken wire may deter mice but voles just tunnel up under it.... and then eat the seeds or carry them away down their tunnels for their stash  ::)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 19:07 by sunshineband »
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

xx
Soaking pea seed in paraffin to deter mice

Started by bigdavenorcott on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post March 01, 2016, 08:28
by bigdavenorcott
xx
Bean and Pea seeds

Started by tomboy on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 15, 2010, 21:12
by Swing Swang
thumbup
planting bean seeds

Started by boosh on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 18, 2010, 13:08
by Y.E.A.H
xx
Saving bean seeds

Started by Steveharford on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post September 22, 2013, 13:02
by mumofstig

Page created in 0.532 seconds with 27 queries.