Horse & Cow Manure Mix

• 9 Replies

allotment-shed

Horse & Cow Manure Mix
« on: October 25, 2014, 10:35 »
A local farmer has offered me a load of well rotted horse and cow manure that is mixed, but I am not sure about the cow manure part on an allotment. Grateful for any opinions on this.
Many thanks.
Ron

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Horse & Cow Manure Mix
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2014, 11:05 »
As long as there's no herbicide contamination it is all good.  There's an article on the main website about the different types of manure.
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

trunk monkey

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 09:12 »
The mix should be fine. I believe the cow manure is less nutritious due to the cow's four stomachs extracting most of the goodness out of it, but otherwise ok.
Trunky

Goosegirl

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 11:18 »
Any manure is good, though some "hotter" than others as it rots down. It's used more to condition the soil texture rather than for nutrition but you still get some goodness out of it.
I work very hard so don't expect me to think as well.

moose

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 16:19 »
Cow manure is supposed to have less weed seeds than horse- again to do with it's digestive system.

beesrus

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 17:20 »
As long as there's no herbicide contamination it is all good.  There's an article on the main website about the different types of manure.
Jay G, I have had a good look through those all those website manure articles and can't seem to find any information on the herbicide contamination problem you refer to, that can badly affect cow manure, and horse manure to a lesser extent, and through that, ruin peoples' crops. Lots of good info on the +s and -s of all the various soil amendments, but nothing at all about the herbicide problem. With it being such a huge problem over the last few years that affects all of us growers, could you possibly point me toward the article that gives some info on the problem.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 17:57 »
It was Yorkie, not JayG, that replied beersrus and she just said there was an article about the different types of manure, not one about herbicide contamination.

The farmer who has offered the OP the manure should be able to say whether this would be an issue or not.  Failing that, this subject has come up several times and the usual advice is mix a bit into some soil and put in a pot.  Sow a few fast growing seeds like beans and see if the seedlings grow normally or not.  Its a quick and easy check to do before you spread manure all over the plot and find you have a problem  :)

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 18:12 »
The main herbicide that causes the problem is Aminopyralid - in case using that as a keyword helps locate suitable information.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator

beesrus

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2014, 06:52 »
Thanks Mos for those links... very helpful. I see this forum initially did have a part to play in trying to erradicate the problem.

Quote....
" When this effect first became apparent, I’m very proud to say this website was instrumental in bringing the problem to the public attention and a campaign to stop it developed.".

Well done to the forum. Long may it continue.
In reality, it is sadly difficult to ascertain if a farmer's/riding school's manure is safe, as the problem can be brought in on hay and feeds unknown to the supplier.

xx
How good is Pig Manure mixed with Horse Manure?

Started by MichelleC on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post December 05, 2011, 17:50
by MichelleC
xx
Green manure or horse manure?

Started by yorkiegal on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 10, 2012, 01:12
by Trillium
xx
Horse manure

Started by John obrien on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post October 27, 2017, 19:47
by AlaninCarlisle
xx
Horse manure

Started by mdjlucan on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 18, 2019, 22:35
by Dev

Page created in 0.319 seconds with 38 queries.