Two chickens in one nest

• 11 Replies

Tom Parrot

• Experienced Member
Two chickens in one nest
« on: October 22, 2014, 15:24 »
Hello readers,
I have had two Isa Warren chickens since early August, and there are terrific most of the time.
Each night I check that they are both in and comfotable and let then out in the morning.
But, last night, 21st when we did have some strong winds although not very here, I checked the chickens and both were in, but, they were bot in one nest.
They slightly smaller one was cramed in the back and the slightly larger one was right next to her with part of her body hanging over the side. I left them.
In the morning both eggs had been laid in that same nest.
Were they both in there because of the wind (no drafts in the coop, it's new) or because it was slightly cold or perhaps they slightly larger one was scared of the dark?
I'm sure someone has come across this before?
Shall watch them closer in future.

ghost61

Re: Two chickens in one nest
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 15:36 »
Hens are daft creatures.  Give them the room they should have and yet they will cuddle up in the space for one.  I had a similar experience where two birds wanted to lay at the same time and both wanted the same nest.  They clambered about on top of each other and eventually settled down next to each other to lay.  You're experiencing nothing new!  If it's cold they will cuddle up together too.  It was a bit nippy yesterday for about the first time so no doubt they felt better being cosied up together!

Nothing to worry about in my opinion.

grinling

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 21:52 »
what ventilation do you have and is it at chicken head height?
Is the nest box higher than the roosting bars?

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2014, 03:34 »
Milly, Molly and Mandy our ex-batts got fed up of waiting for the only nest box out of four that will do, and found their own space in an alcove five feet up in a barn wall. We had to stop them as something (rat or magpie) was breaking the eggs. Two of them will sleep in a nest box sometimes. We have even had our cockerel cosy up with his favourite hen while she lays.

Tom Parrot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2014, 13:32 »
Thank you for those relies, very good.
To Ghost61, you have confirmed what I thought but, needed another opinion.
To Grinling, It is a three month old purpose built chicken coop. there is sufficient ventilation of two holes in front of the nests and to the side and slightly higher than the top of the nests, and nests are about the same height as the roosting bars which they rarely use.
To Tosca100, nice picture, I tried to take one of mine but it was too dark and didn't come out too well.
There don't access to a barn or anything like it but, they do have access to a 100ft x 50ft  garden including the two lawns and many plants. A few less now. as they love French Sorrel and Spinach as well as theSwiss Chard. Now they have gone over to the leaves of the Radishes. But most they leave alone and mainly do scratching for bugs and whatever.
All in all it does show how unpredictable but lovely and entertaining chickens are. I wish I had bought them sooner.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2014, 13:45 by Tom Parrot »

Sue33

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 13:39 »

nothing to worry about, sometimes my four sleep apart and other times they're all snuggled up together  :D

grinling

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 13:48 »
they will normally go for the highest bit. 5 of mine share 2 nest boxes, which is annoying as the poop can get on the egg. the 17 week old perches because there is no more room in the nest box. will sort them out next year as it means moving house around.

Sassy

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2014, 09:49 »
Rather than allow this to become a habit it may be wise to block off the nest box at night otherwise you risk dirty eggs!  :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

bajmoe

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2014, 08:30 »
Rather than allow this to become a habit it may be wise to block off the nest box at night otherwise you risk dirty eggs!  :)

sassy is correct you need to block off the nest box at night, chickens do most of their fouling during the night so you need to restrict access to the nest boxes at night, dont forget to unblock in the morning, this took me a week to teach the chickens to sleep on their perches , now i have clean nest boxes
pecking order, columbine, white star, speckled, black star, ranger.

Sassy

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2014, 09:45 »
I should have pointed out that the perches need to higher than the nest boxes. How many chooks do you have? :)

Tom Parrot

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2014, 10:26 »
 :closedeyes:Sorry about the delay but don't use internet much. I have two lovely ISA Warren's. Still laying one egg per from each hen. The perches are in front of the two nesting areas and slightly lower by about an inch (25mm to younger persons). It is a flatpack 'Buckingham' coop from eggshellonline.

Sassy

« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2014, 13:44 »
If possible raise the perches. You may then need to train them to use the perch by lifting them on at night. :)

question
2 of my 10 chickens wont lay in nest boxes

Started by shez on The Hen House

8 Replies
Last post October 23, 2009, 19:02
by karlooben
xx
Chickens have stopped laying in their nest box

Started by debih on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post August 18, 2011, 12:59
by Lindeggs
xx
How do i stop my new chickens sleeping in the nest boxes?

Started by bajmoe on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post February 21, 2014, 08:27
by Sassy
xx
chickens sleeping in nest box and eggs being laid everywhere???

Started by jackieand glenn on The Hen House

4 Replies
Last post November 25, 2011, 19:34
by ANHBUC

Page created in 0.496 seconds with 36 queries.