Cabbage whites still active!

• 2 Replies

heygrow

• Experienced Member
Cabbage whites still active!
« on: October 17, 2014, 16:28 »
Early this season I wondered where all the cabbage whites were as they were very late arriving. Thought I might get away with not seeing them. However they certainly did come in numbers and now in mid October they are still active!
I just found a number of catapillers on my PSB that I thought was safe without the netting. I expect with tne warm spell continuing over the next few days that I will find there may be more eggs laid.

BTW, the PSB is growing to a formidable size. The plants are about 6 ft high with huge branches and leaves about 4ft span. So much weight that in the wind a rain they were keeling over, so had to put in supports for them. I have not grown them before, but I'm sure they should not have grown so large.......should they?

3759allen

Re: Cabbage whites still active!
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 16:59 »
i haven't seen any cabbage whites for weeks now, good job as i've taken the netting off to let the poor things breath.

agree with you about the PSB, mine are all bent and buckled where they have grown so much trying to push the netting up. look a bit sorry for being under the netting but better than being destroyed by caterpillars.  hopefully they will recover.

Salmo

Re: Cabbage whites still active!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 17:19 »
I thought I had escaped caterpillars, no sign of any chewed leaves. Then a row of caulis decided it was time to flower and they all came at once. All the heads with green poo and lime green caterpillars hidden right inside.

Once washed down and sorted the caulis are lovely. Someone gave me the plants and said they were caulis. Only planted out in late July so was not expecting them to come until Spring.

xx
cabbage whites

Started by Grubbypaws on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post August 16, 2013, 14:38
by heygrow
thumbdown
The cabbage whites have got me!

Started by Lesleyk on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 29, 2014, 11:55
by Lesleyk
xx
cabbage whites

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post July 02, 2010, 20:57
by viettaclark
xx
Where are the cabbage whites?

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post May 27, 2011, 20:51
by Lulu

Page created in 0.456 seconds with 36 queries.