Cucumber varieties

• 18 Replies

shokkyy

• Mishka
Cucumber varieties
« on: October 12, 2014, 15:53 »
For the last few years I've grown Early Spring Burpless F1, which have lovely flavour and have always given me a really big crop, whether grown outside or in a tunnel. The only trouble is they do take most of the summer to really get going, seem to suddenly put off a lot of fruit all in one go, then very quickly start to go rather seedy. So I'm thinking about trying a new variety next year, and was hoping someone could suggest some I could try. I don't want something that needs flowers removing or a lot of help with pollination, has to be an easy grower, but I'd really like something not so prone to seediness, preferably a bit thinner skinned, and hopefully a bit earlier cropping so it's spread over a longer season. I don't mind training them and I've got plenty of space for them so they don't need to be tiny.

Any suggestions?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Cucumber varieties
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2014, 16:01 »
La Diva works for me if planted in the ground - it didn't do as well in a pot, though.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2014, 17:08 »
I wasn't going to plant in a pot so that's ok. If I put them in my tunnel they'll be in a bed. My favourite seed supplier (Premier) has that variety too. When do you start your seeds off, and when do they start cropping from that sowing?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2014, 17:24 »
Sorry, I'm not much help on that score - I sowed them late because I went on holiday at the beginning of May, so sowed on 16th and didn't make a note of the first picking  :blush:

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2014, 19:05 »
La Diva works for me if planted in the ground - it didn't do as well in a pot, though.

La Diva for me too - they are still going strong here. Mine were sown in April, but were languishing in pots for ages as I didn't have space ready.

shokkyy

• Mishka
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2014, 19:27 »
My Burpless are still going strong too, but they're absolutely full of seeds so not too nice to eat. I'll give La Diva a try next year.

solway cropper

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2014, 23:12 »
Another vote for La Diva from me. I sowed indoors in early March and they are still producing. So far the two plants have given over 8kg of fruit. Perfect small size and not a trace of bitterness. I bought my first lot of seed from Premiere 3 years ago and it's the one variety I will always grow now. Beware that the name is quite appropriate. They can behave like Divas and mine usually sulk early on before leaping into action when the weather warms up.

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2014, 02:46 »
I just plant whatever F1 Female-only-flowering variety that I can buy seed of cheap in the autumn sales (coz it costs over £1 per seed normally).  They would be greenhouse/indoor varieties. The one my local Shed has sold for the last few years is Bella - it performs well and starts cropping early.

Springlands

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2014, 08:36 »
Boothby Blonde did really well for me this year. It is an outdoor variety, no need to remove the male flowers. I picked the last of the fruits on Saturday - the plants were growing strong until they were decimated by last week's gales and hailstones. Got the seeds from Real Seeds.

bazial

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2014, 09:27 »
Burpless tasty green for me ,i have been growing them outside for the last 5yrs ,they have never failed to produced ,just pulled them up .
bazial

cadalot

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2014, 15:34 »
This year I grew Marketmore outside and they were great little fellows and are still producing I have 3 still on the trellis. I have picked up a pack of Cucino F1 Hybrid in the Wyevale 50p sale and the packet states "Crisp flavoursome mini-fruits are produced prolifically throughout the season indoors or in a sheltered position outdoors"

Whatever a sheltered position outdoors actually is? 

Is that sun, wind or do they mean in the shade, anyone know?
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 06:47 by cadalot »

Ema

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2014, 18:49 »
This is my second year growing Lidl cucumbers, first year they were great this year 90% have been so bitter they've gone on the heap, so disappointing. The only good things with this variety is they have been stable throughout the summer producing 2 fruits a week. a lot of other varieties I've seen on the site have fruited all in 1 go.

Will try la diva thanks

hightide

• Experienced Member
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2014, 19:15 »
I'm with Kristen on this subject any of the all female varieties will suit your requirements, I always thought cucumbers were only for experts until I found 'Femspot' :D
I just stagger the planting and pick as soon as they become ready otherwise the seeds mature if left too long on the vine.
A weed is a plant that's in the wrong place and intends to stay

Markw

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2014, 17:35 »
I have grown Marketmore for the last three years and have always had good crops, but I think I will give La Dive a try next year.
“When a well-packaged web of lies has been sold gradually to the masses over generations, the truth will seem utterly preposterous and its speaker a raving lunatic.”

Dresden James

snow white

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2014, 09:19 »
I used cornichons.  They grew lots of small cucumbers about five inches long without any fuss at all.  Started early fruiting and only just finished.  Spikey but lovely taste.  I did peel them though.  One plant produced about a dozen fruits. 

xx
Which varieties... Help please

Started by Parsnip on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post May 08, 2009, 14:07
by monkeywobbler
xx
Pea varieties

Started by Yorkie on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 24, 2008, 15:18
by Yorkie
xx
Which Varieties???

Started by Bethslosttheplot on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post February 25, 2008, 12:15
by compostqueen
xx
Sweetcorn varieties

Started by Cake Lady on Grow Your Own

25 Replies
Last post September 11, 2012, 00:04
by leeks r us

Page created in 0.448 seconds with 39 queries.