Anyone know what this variety of bean is?

• 5 Replies

al78

Anyone know what this variety of bean is?
« on: October 05, 2014, 00:19 »
Picked some climbing bean seeds at a seed swap at the beginning of the year which initially produced purple pods like on the right of the image but since late summer began producing green pods as on the left of the image. Can anyone tell me what variety of bean this is and why it produces different coloured beans during the season.
WP_000136_2.jpg

kirpi

Re: Anyone know what this variety of bean is?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 02:51 »
The one on the right looks like a pod from District Nurse, French climbing bean, but they would then dry up and produced cream beans speckled with purple; no solid green pods.

They look like pods from different plants - did you maybe get a mixture of seeds from your seed swap?

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 09:26 »
My broad beans produced a mix of beans this year because I used seed that got cross pollinated last year ( I think) So I got some red epicure looking beans and some beds champion/wikiem manita looking beans. Maybe thats how it happened.
Anne

al78

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 10:23 »
The one on the right looks like a pod from District Nurse, French climbing bean, but they would then dry up and produced cream beans speckled with purple; no solid green pods.

They look like pods from different plants - did you maybe get a mixture of seeds from your seed swap?

It definitely isn't due to different seed. The seeds when I got them were cream with purple speckling, which is what the seeds in the purple pod look like when opened. The seeds in the green pod are cream. In addition both pods are from the same plant.

beesrus

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 13:21 »
Could be the unknown seeds you got at the seed swap were the evil spawn from a F1 variety, in which case anything could happen.
The picture looks like half French, and almost a bit of runner thrown in. Several  F1s around these days that cross between the two, moonlight being one that produces a creamish seed. The speckle would suggest a likely Runner antecedent involved somewhere in the distant past.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 13:36 by beesrus »

LotuSeed

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 16:14 »
My black turtle beans look similar to that. Some of the pods are a deep purple while others are green and this can be seen on each plant. The beans from inside the different colored pods are all the same color though: black. Could it maybe just be a case of the purple being more ripe/fully mature and the green ones being not quite so?  That's what in guessing with mine anyway.  ???
Avg Last Frost Date, April 9, Avg First Frost Date, Oct 26
Avg Growing Season, 200 days

xx
Broad Bean variety

Started by davejg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post December 28, 2010, 09:56
by davejg
xx
What is your favourite runner bean variety?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post August 16, 2014, 18:07
by Comfreypatch
xx
Small runner bean variety

Started by hubballi on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post April 24, 2013, 21:10
by hubballi
xx
is a string bean a runner bean? and a harricot bean a butter bean?

Started by KingEdward on Grow Your Own

9 Replies
Last post March 27, 2009, 14:06
by Ice

Page created in 0.732 seconds with 36 queries.