Manure versus compost...

• 36 Replies

JayG

• Global Moderator
Re: Manure versus compost...
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2014, 10:24 »
i assumed horse manure held plenty of nutrients compared to compost. i guess not a lot home rotted manure or compost is actually measured for whats in them. i guess that manure has held a good reputation from many decades ago.

When you reflect on what the animals that produce the manure exclusively eat (plants or parts of plants) it's not that surprising that compost made from plants also contains respectable levels of nutrients - needless to say it's not that straightforward because digestion and decomposition are very different processes, but the connection is still there (somewhere!)  ;)
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

kirpi

« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2014, 16:38 »
I understand there are plenty of Veganic gardeners who do not use manures of any animals or animal derived nutrients such as blood, fish and bone. I guess they must be doing ok, or they would just struggle and give up.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2014, 17:08 »
Vegan doesn't necessarily equate to no added fertilisers, they have their own products, obviously, and there is always seaweed meal, which I believe is ok for vegans to use ;)

http://www.fertilefibre.com/vegro-coir-nutrients-1-kg.html

Even B&Q do a suitable compost  :)
http://www.veganviews.org.uk/vv97/vv97growing.html

They just make different choices, but there's certainly no need for them to struggle  :lol:

beesrus

« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2014, 19:30 »
Thinking about it, it must be even more difficult for Janes in India. Always fascinating how inventive folk can be when trying to match one's life culture with the act of growing food, and maybe Janeism might have some real good organic practice tips where beneficial insects are concerned . Think I'll go gurgling.

al78

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2014, 23:39 »
Vegan doesn't necessarily equate to no added fertilisers, they have their own products, obviously, and there is always seaweed meal, which I believe is ok for vegans to use ;)

http://www.fertilefibre.com/vegro-coir-nutrients-1-kg.html

Even B&Q do a suitable compost  :)
http://www.veganviews.org.uk/vv97/vv97growing.html

They just make different choices, but there's certainly no need for them to struggle  :lol:

They also use green manures and mulches, and adopt permaculture principles.

But yes, there is no reason to suppose that the nutrient component of manure is higher than compost. After all, all nutrients ultimately come from plants, it is just that in one case those plants have passed through an animal.

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2014, 08:29 »
My plot is heavy clay based loam and my composting activities over the years have radically changed the stucture of my soil.  It was something you could make a respectable brick from, now its dark lovely soil that turns over like a dream, so long as you stay away when its really wet or really dry, when its clay based nature shows true again.

For the manure/feeding side of things, I use a lot of pelleted chicken manure which gives a reliable fix of feed as and when you want it.  Nutrient levels in manure are going to be variable at best and nitrogen will leach away if the manure is stacked or left to rot down for any length of time.

Some plot holders on the site use manure, but it does bring in a lot of weeds.  My big bins tend to cook down pretty hot and even though I compost a lot of weeds, I don't get too many problems with weed seeds.  If you have a heap where you are adding bits now and again and it rots slow and cold, this would be a different matter I think  :)   

adri

• Experienced Member
    • peak hives
« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2014, 09:44 »
Where's a good, reasonably priced, source of pelleted chicken manure?  I've used cow manure before but it does bring in with it alot of weed seeds.

TIA

Adri
Peak Hives

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2014, 10:05 »
Pelleted chicken manure is not a substitute for rotted manure or compost as it has no humus content to speak of, although it is a good general purpose fertiliser, albeit a little higher in nitrogen than a 'balanced' fertiliser like Growmore for instance.

I may be wrong but because of the weight I wouldn't have thought it was a promising candidate for mail order - it seems to be a favourite for all sorts of offers from time to time and at different garden centres (25% extra FREE, bogof deals and so on) - take your calculator to work out the actual cost per kg unless you are really good at mental arithmetic!

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2014, 10:34 »
£3.50 per 7kg tub in Wilko.

So -21kg for £10.50 with £3.50 delivery charge or order and collect free from the store ( I've checked this bar the actual paying bit and it does only add £3.50 for the delivery)

« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 10:35 by mumofstig »

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2014, 10:39 »
Blimey, that's a very good deal indeed Mum - I've never paid anything like as little as that!

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2014, 10:53 »
it seems to be a favourite for all sorts of offers from time to time and at different garden centres
I figure that my local offers are around £1 / kg ...

£3.50 per 7kg tub in Wilko.

but that is a bargain!

on eBay I found 20kg bags for £18.40 (inc. delivery)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2014, 10:57 »
I was that impressed that I just paid for the 3 tubs that were in my basket  :lol: :lol:

So can indeed confirm the price inc delivery.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2014, 12:01 »
Blimey, that's a very good deal indeed Mum - I've never paid anything like as little as that!

......until today that is (plus 3 X 800g packs of slug bait at £2.50 each - would have been rude not to!  ;))

Well done that woman!  :lol:

beesrus

« Reply #28 on: October 04, 2014, 13:39 »
Not a bad price that for a High St retailer. But if one can't get a better deal at the local garden centre, I would make tell them they need to look at the prices they charge.
Our local garden centre charges £5.99 for a 15kg organic Earlybird bag.
Our allotment shop sells the same 15Kg bags for £5.50

AlaninCarlisle

« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2014, 16:49 »
never put onion bits on a compost.
Why is that?

xx
Mushroom compost versus rotted horse manure.

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post July 25, 2021, 20:16
by Subversive_plot
xx
Dried mushroom compost versus slugs and snails.

Started by Goosegirl on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post June 28, 2015, 19:14
by sunshineband
xx
Manure or Compost

Started by Mr B on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post November 29, 2008, 18:14
by Mr B
xx
Compost and Manure

Started by rugbymad40 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 28, 2008, 14:23
by noshed

Page created in 0.578 seconds with 38 queries.