Sweetcorn

• 11 Replies

mikegm

Sweetcorn
« on: October 01, 2014, 14:40 »
Now still picking sweetcorn....a few of the cobs are missing the corn at the tops {thin end} Does this mean they are still developing ..or what?

BabbyAnn

Re: Sweetcorn
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 15:06 »
no - it just means pollination was a bit haphazard for whatever reason (could be rain, temperature, not enough pollen) and the kernel then won't develop and mature

mikegm

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 15:17 »
Thanks for that....will try to improve on that next year...

Tenhens

• freedom lodge for tenhens ex battery 1 year on
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 18:07 »
Our's were the same as your's , yet last year we had a good crop. Hoping next year will be better,  it all adds to the overall enjoyment of what we all enjoy doing, and sharing our 'ups' and 'downs' on these pages.
we also rescue rabbits and guinea pigs, grow own veg

MrsPea

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 19:02 »
My sweetcorn weren't much cop this year either was it due to the lack of rain when I opened one of the cobs the kernels were still white  :( needless to say I've dug them all up now  :)
I Love my green house

BabbyAnn

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 13:58 »
My sweetcorn weren't much cop this year either was it due to the lack of rain when I opened one of the cobs the kernels were still white  :( needless to say I've dug them all up now  :)

White kernels suggest they weren't ripened - perhaps you sowed/planted them out too late?  Or you harvested them too soon?

Lack of water can hasten seed production (it's a survival tactic of plants to put all its dwindling stores into seed for the next generation) but they probably would not be as nice as those that were kept well watered.

chillimummy

« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2014, 16:56 »
Have had couple of corn cobs but when I went yesterday to pick the rest, they have nearly all been eaten by something. They are in an enclosed area as was given sheets of perspex so made a protected area. Not sure what has been eating them as plot neighbours all around don't seem to have had the same problem.
This years crop has been disaster  :(
Last years was not great either as kernels were not filled out so flavour was  not good.
Not sure whether to bother next year. Have some seeds left so might just try one more year :lol:   
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

Nobbie

« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2014, 17:48 »
Have had couple of corn cobs but when I went yesterday to pick the rest, they have nearly all been eaten by something. They are in an enclosed area as was given sheets of perspex so made a protected area. Not sure what has been eating them as plot neighbours all around don't seem to have had the same problem.
This years crop has been disaster  :(
Last years was not great either as kernels were not filled out so flavour was  not good.
Not sure whether to bother next year. Have some seeds left so might just try one more year :lol:   

Could well be mice, they started to have a go at mine earlier in the year so I put socks over all the cobs and tied at the bottom - worked well. Maybe they felt protected inside the enclosure and were free to graze at leisure.

Snoop

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014, 22:37 »
Could well be mice, they started to have a go at mine earlier in the year so I put socks over all the cobs and tied at the bottom - worked well. Maybe they felt protected inside the enclosure and were free to graze at leisure.

Socks! What a great idea. And a good excuse to buy some new ones (I presume :D).

chillimummy

« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014, 19:49 »
Socks does sound like a great idea. Think will need to do that next year. Went to plot today and someone was telling me that rats have been seen on our site so could be rats or mice.
Will start keeping old socks ready for next year! :lol:

devon

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2014, 13:35 »
Mr Badger enjoyed mine . Never got to taste them.

Baldy

• Hey Ho Lets Grow!
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2014, 18:54 »
From;
http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/16667-Badger-Recipe

This is a traditional recipe from the north east of England and to me is the only way to cook badger:

1. Remove skin from meat and put into a large saucepan
    2. add 1 half bottle of vodka and 2 bottles of newky brown
    3. pour in 1 cupfull of fresh orange juice and half a bottle of good brandy(stirring all the time)
    4. heat for about 45 minutes and then add a full bottle of dark navy rum
    5. when mixture is just about to boil open your dustbin and throw in the badger meat cos it tastes c**p and drink the gravy!!!!!!!!!!

BEAUTIFULL

Cheers,
Balders

xx
sweetcorn

Started by m1ckz on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post May 24, 2013, 16:10
by Headgardener22
xx
sweetcorn

Started by blackisgreen on Grow Your Own

16 Replies
Last post October 27, 2009, 16:22
by tode
xx
How is your sweetcorn doing so far?

Started by JayG on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post September 18, 2017, 10:37
by BumbleJo
xx
sweetcorn

Started by Charl89 on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 22, 2012, 15:44
by Ian_A

Page created in 0.466 seconds with 37 queries.