Low compression

• 4 Replies

Salmo

Low compression
« on: September 26, 2014, 16:32 »
When I pull the start cord on my mower with a Briggs and Stratton engine it feels that there is almost no compression. Is this a problem and does it need fixing. The engine starts OK although it hunts like mad so probably needs the diaphragm replaced.

shedmeister

• Experienced Member
Re: Low compression
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 22:54 »
unless you have a compession gauge. A simple test to see if there is decent compression is to remove the spark plug. Place your finger over the hole tightly and then turn the engine over. It is probably easier if you remove the pull start mechanism to do this. You should feel a preasure build up on the compression stroke and a vacume on the ignition stroke.
The pressure should be great enough to escape between your finger and the plug sealing face.
Hunting is probably down to the diaphram. There is not a lot of compression on a Briggs until you get above the 5hp size.
Check the color of the spark plug. It should be a light brown if the carb settings are correct.
by the way. DO NOT put the plug back into the cap befor doing this. They can bite
May the fork be with you

Svend

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 00:38 »
I think it rather depends on which B&S engine you have.....

If it's a newer type with a plastic carb mounted directly on the fuel tank (pulsa-prime?), then yes hunting might be a diaphragm problem. (I have "rescued" a diaphragm in the past by simply rubbing it with petroleum jelly - not sure why it worked, but it did.)  But it's also worth checking there's nothing interfering with the governor linkages - perhaps do that first!   

If it's an older model with a cast aluminium carb mounted on the fuel tank (pulsa-jet), the hunting won't be due to the diaphragm (which is merely part of the fuel lift pump), but could perhaps be a symptom of loss of compression..... or a binding governor linkage.... or a badly worn main jet screw (needle valve)..... or it could just be one of the mounting screws that hold the carburetor and fuel tank to the cylinder block has worked loose  (first thing to check?).

If it's an older style unit with a bowl type carb (flo-jet?), then I haven't a clue  :unsure:

grendel

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 08:32 »
low compression could be a bit of carbon build up stopping one of the valves shutting properly.
Grendel
we do the impossible daily, miracles take a little longer.

R Tallentire

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 20:23 »
B & S have a special valve set up that keeps a valve slightly open a lot longer than normal, this drops the compression for starting, so you can't do a normal compression test. B & S recommend that you flick the crankshaft round backwards (plug lead disconnected). If it bounces back against compression  it is OK.
R Tallentire

Page created in 0.105 seconds with 30 queries.