Live Chicken, Egg & Poultry Suppliers - please help!

• 10 Replies

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« on: January 14, 2008, 13:19 »
We frequently get asked on the site and I get asked via the contact form if I know anyone supplying live poultry. Brilliant as I am :) I don't know every supplier in the UK!

Help is at hand - I've put together a system where suppliers can list and people can find local suppliers etc.

Once we have a few people onboard, I can split things up by country (England, Scotland etc) region (North West, North East etc) and finally by counties. Also, because of the way it's set up, I'll be able to provide separate lists for suppliers of hatching eggs etc.

I think it will be of value and it's taken me two days work to set up the system (oh to be a 20 year old technical genius instead of a 50 year old fumbler) but now I need your help. If you know a supplier please ask them to put themselves on the list. If they are not on the internet, then ask them if you could put them on it but please mention that in the message box.

The pages are at   Poultry Suppliers List
Check out our books - ideal presents

John and Val Harrison's Books

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2008, 13:21 »
Thanks John.  What a brilliant idea  :D

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2008, 13:28 »
I've put me on!!!!! lol

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2008, 13:44 »
Quote from: "grannieannie"
I've put me on!!!!! lol

I know, thanks - you're on there. Because I don't want to wake up and find the list full of adverts for dubious pills - or worse! - I manually approve entries.

WG.

Re: Live Chicken, Egg & Poultry Suppliers - please help!
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2008, 14:29 »
Great idea John.  Local independent plant nurseries next?

Quote from: "john"
Once we have a few people onboard, I can split things up by country (England, Scotland etc) region (North West, North East etc) and finally by counties.
Getting my tuppence-worth in early, can I suggest you split Scotland into the 8 Yellow Pages regions since the old County names are no longer in common use (also too many small ones).  I did this for my own website so please take a look at http://www.farexchange.com/TourMap.asp?map=scotland/scotland.gif&mapFile=scotland/maps.txt&detail=scotland/details.htm  The map and the menu both highlight the region concerned when you roll over t'mouse.

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2008, 18:07 »
Thanks David - I think nurseries are easy enough to find.

One job at a time :) Appreciate the regional help.

skyblue

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2008, 11:18 »
Hi

I have filled the form in twice yet i am not on the list. have i done something wrong
Featheredfriends.org.uk

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2008, 12:45 »
Quote from: "skyblue"
Hi

I have filled the form in twice yet i am not on the list. have i done something wrong

Possibly - the system does seem to be working. Did you get any error message pop up?

Did you get taken to the thank you page when you pressed the "insert your listing" button?

It's important to put  chicken into the magic word field. It's a rough but effective anti-spam system.  A similar type of form on another site I run got 2,680 spam entries in a month - an awful lot to delete by hand which is why I added 'magic word'

It does require an email - otherwise I can't follow up queries but it needn't be displayed if you don't want.

My advice is to try again, take it slowly and read the instructions if you're unsure of anything. If, when you press the insert button, you stay on the same page - look for a red error message. It should take you to thanks and there is a link there direct to your listing so you can review it.

Good luck!

warsop68

« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 20:18 »
a great idea, there seems to be suppliers of poultry all over, only i live in Nottinghamshire, and i cant for the life of me find a local poultry supplier, we are happy to take on former battery hens also, any ideas, let me know, thanks
HAWAY THE LADS

podgyhodgy

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2008, 22:15 »
john,
just to let you know - I signed up today on this website and the confirmation email from this site was sent straight to the bulk folder as possible spam.  That is bt yahoo.  others might be getting the same.

I think a little note on the sign up page that this might happen would be helpful.

cheers

John

• Administrator
    • Low Cost Living
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 09:42 »
Quote from: "podgyhodgy"
john,
just to let you know - I signed up today on this website and the confirmation email from this site was sent straight to the bulk folder as possible spam.  That is bt yahoo.  others might be getting the same.

I think a little note on the sign up page that this might happen would be helpful.

cheers

Thanks - I'll do that. It's frustrating that some email systems are blocking us yet happily sending on the real spam.

EDIT: After fiddling about I work out where the sign up page content is only to discover it does say..

After registering you should receive a confirmation email with a link that you need to follow to activate your account. If you have not had that email after an hour (it usually only takes a couple of minutes) then it has probably been stopped by a spam filter. Just go to the contact form and let me know and I will manually activate your account. Please tell me your user name or I will not know who to activate!

Any suggestions for a better wording welcome

xx
Poultry suppliers

Started by Elcie on The Hen House

11 Replies
Last post August 24, 2012, 13:23
by GrannieAnnie
xx
Poultry Suppliers Nottinghamshire

Started by mambo on The Hen House

3 Replies
Last post May 02, 2008, 20:49
by mambo
xx
Poultry Suppliers question

Started by Goldfinger on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 15, 2010, 06:19
by Goldfinger
xx
Advice regarding poultry suppliers..

Started by brigton on The Hen House

5 Replies
Last post August 30, 2012, 21:51
by Squibbs

Page created in 0.256 seconds with 37 queries.