Confession time did you compost any crops

• 60 Replies

Beetroot Queen

Confession time did you compost any crops
« on: September 21, 2014, 17:18 »
We did, we tried gerkins  :mellow: yuk yuk and double yuk so all the rest went to the heap. Over twenty to be recycled for next year, wont be growing them again.

I did offer them out first but apparently everyone already knows they are gross  ::)

snowdrops

Re: Confession time did you compost any crops
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 17:26 »
A few runner beans have ended up in the compost when I forgot about them in the garage, oh & some Swiss chard that I left in the wheelbarrow the other night.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 17:36 »
We did, we tried gerkins  :mellow: yuk yuk and double yuk so all the rest went to the heap. Over twenty to be recycled for next year, wont be growing them again.

I did offer them out first but apparently everyone already knows they are gross  ::)
I wish I had known... most of mine were bitter, but one or two were okay. But not enough to make growing them worth while.

I've just put some runner beans on the compost heap and also beetroot, just got too many and they make good compost I'm sure.
Anne

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 17:39 »
Guilty! Most of the runner beans and I think some beetroot will follow as it is becoming a bit woody. :(

New shoot

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 17:43 »
My minipop sweetcorn ended up in the compost bin, but only because I hadn't got to it in time and it had gone over.  I disturbed 2 tiny little field mice when I put it in there, so maybe they will enjoy it as a bonus  :)

The chickens tend to polish off most unwanted veg in this house.  They are the only ones I know who celebrate the arrival home of a monster courgette or greens that have bolted  :lol:   

beesrus

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 17:54 »
I don't do guilt  :), I'm just a pleasant enough animal going about my daily tasks.

My growing philosophy is grow what you think you'll need, a few extra for the birds, pests and failures.
Then if you can't eat it all in a good year, and friends and family don't want it either, compost it and put it back from where it came. I sometimes wish I had the appetite of a 17 year old.
This year I have composted a whole bed of under performing strawberries, 4 or 5 excess hearted cabbages that ended up going to seed ... need to get my successional thing sorted, and some chili peppers not to my liking.... you've gotta be good to get onto my plate.
I had an excellent grape crop from my two vines, but just didn't have time to get around to making wine. So, that's a bit of a waste of an unusual resource... but the birds are having a good old peck at them now, so everyone is happy.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2014, 18:06 by beesrus »

Nobbie

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2014, 18:38 »
Loads of sprouts early in the year which I didn't get round to eating - memo to self, start eating sprouts now :D Also most of the Kohl Rabbi which grew well, but I couldn't really find a use for it that was worth the effort. Quite a bit of Calabrese which although it produced big heads and a really good second crop was riddled with caterpillars and the girlfriend said no when I noticed a cooked one just before I was about to put it on her plate :unsure: -Under enviromesh next year.

snowdrops

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2014, 19:32 »
Oh & a few radishes that were woody before I harvested them, the first sowing of carrots that were riddled with carrot fly & a few beetroot that were woody as well.

TheWhiteRabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2014, 20:27 »
Yup. Sadly my sweetcorn weren't a) up to much this year and b) harvested in time so they've all gone in the compost...gutted.  :(  It's the first time that I've ever composted most of a single crop.

kirpi

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2014, 21:50 »
I felt particularly pleased with myself running the runner bean vines through the shredder - with some runner beans still on them. I hate the ruddy things!

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2014, 22:16 »
I grew too many tomatoes, but am still making all sorts of sauces etc...

The plants eventually end up on the heap, and sadly, any toms which look ill go there as well. even though in a bad year, they'd have been trimmed, sliced, cleaned and saved!

Odd cucumbers have all gone there as well!

All the courgettes which have become 'marrowed' used to go there, but recently, a Patch neighbour has started keeping chickens, so they have everything we want to chuck out!

tangojulie

• Experienced Member
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2014, 09:18 »
Courgettes. Even though I have only half the number of plants I had last year.

chillimummy

« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2014, 10:24 »
Early on in the year, a few sprout plants as too many to keep up with. Some radish that were woody and some spinach that went to seed which was disappointing as was 3rd pack of seeds that finally grew! :(
If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

Any Comments ? :
http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?board=38.0

ryetek

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2014, 12:28 »
A few courgettes as it's got to the point where we can't give them away. I made a note last year to halve the number of plants from six to three and didn't do it.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2014, 12:35 »
Not yet, but can't find a home for my apples.  They are an eater, and I keep putting them on freecycle, but no one wants them.

I must get round to making something with them, maybe jelly or wine, but its all the cutting up, and the skins are very marked, so will have to be peeled too!   :(

xx
Time to get another 5% of crops in if possible...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post May 24, 2011, 23:33
by Endymion
xx
Root crops and compost

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 01, 2023, 21:32
by Snowboar
xx
'Brown' compost materials this time of year ? My compost bin is like a sewer.

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 14, 2023, 23:59
by pepsi100
xx
Damson - confession

Started by Poolfield2 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 06, 2010, 22:49
by Poolfield2

Page created in 0.494 seconds with 37 queries.