Confession time did you compost any crops

• 60 Replies

dugless

Re: Confession time did you compost any crops
« Reply #45 on: September 24, 2014, 17:00 »
A barrow load of runner beans :( Away for three weeks so they went hard  quite surprised at the amount though. 
Time is more precious than Gold
Spend it Wisely

Steveharford

« Reply #46 on: September 24, 2014, 18:51 »
Runner beans here too. Except I had picked them but just didnt get around to salting them down.

pigguns

• Mitcham, South London
« Reply #47 on: September 24, 2014, 18:56 »
Cucumbers  :nowink: and still they come..... most off the one plant!  Not keen on the khol rabi much either.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2014, 10:59 »
Thanks for your suggestions about dealing with spent sweet corn cobs and roots Cadalot, Surbie100 and BQ.

Don't have many bonfires here so would have to store them for a long time, and couldn't really justify buying a shredder, so will probably fish out the roots and cobs, put the roots in the general waste, bash the cobs with a mallet and chuck them back in the dalek.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2014, 11:16 »
My failures this year were the sweetcorn, some of my carrots (didn't thin, are not worth peeling) and the tomatoes which got blight. Pretty much everything else is being eaten - though if i can't figure out what to do with all the achocha and tomatillos they will go to compost heaven.

Aled

« Reply #50 on: September 29, 2014, 10:20 »
Some green potatoes went in Saturday, sad because i could of avoided it!
Cheers
Aled

beesrus

« Reply #51 on: September 29, 2014, 13:59 »
I have 3 composting systems.

A dalek that takes the odd grass clippings, comfrey leaves, veg peelings, and soft crop residues.. and the odd shovel of manure if I have it on hand. I call this my posh Bullingdon compost and is just about cooked after a year, ready for action including being a constituent for my Spring potting compost.

The woody stalks of corn, sunflowers, artichokes, brussels etc go to a big palleted pile along with veg peelings, annual weeds, the odd layer of soil, and larger crop residues like cabbage leaves. This pile gets moved every year leaving a sieved nice fertile bed, and the stalk remains are just raked off to stew some more by starting the new compost pile somewhere else.

All perennial weeds/couch/clods/pruned raspberry vines/bramble/hedging etc are covered and composted separately for 2 years, and result in the most wonderful bed after that period, with only a few remaining live roots to pull out.

Not every last growth gets composted, as I have the odd bonfire still, if I'm feeling evil.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 14:06 by beesrus »

Christine

« Reply #52 on: September 30, 2014, 16:52 »
I've just moved and turned the annual compost heap (next year's squash bed) and counted all the things that I've been "given" - overwintered woody beetroot from another plot holder who'd forgotten about them, the clippings off a hedge opposite my plot plus all her lawn clippings. I'm known as "Mrs Compost almost anything"!

kirpi

« Reply #53 on: September 30, 2014, 17:09 »
Considering the years of use I have enjoyed so far from my electric shredder and the mount of stuff I would ordinarily have either put in the household refuse or just had to accept that the compost was going to take a lot longer to complete, I consider my shredder well justified.

Runner bean vines, squash vines, sweetcorn stalks and spent cobs, raspberry canes, blackberry canes, tomato vines, pea and bean vines and brassica main stems - all cooking nicely where before they would have sat for years before.

Maybe your allotment society could consider buying a communal shredder?

Oh - and I did compost some very woody celery as well!

Mrs Bee

« Reply #54 on: September 30, 2014, 21:34 »
Well I haven't yet but if Mr Bee brings another bag of gherkins after todays and I may just..................

Beano

« Reply #55 on: October 01, 2014, 16:24 »
This year is the first year when I havent worried about wastages. I just pick what I need give away to friends and leave the rest for the wildlife or compost. It's been liberating because on previous years I've fretted over recipies for chutney etc. and we have ended up with years worth of preserves.
I enjoy the garden much more this way.
El.

Aled

« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2014, 10:45 »
The last of the carrots were not composted. They were given to our neighbours horses!
Cheers
Aled

surbie100

• Winner Prettiest Pumpkin - 2014
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2014, 12:23 »
This year is the first year when I havent worried about wastages. I just pick what I need give away to friends and leave the rest for the wildlife or compost. It's been liberating because on previous years I've fretted over recipies for chutney etc. and we have ended up with years worth of preserves.
I enjoy the garden much more this way.

Very good philosophy there! I have just stuck nearly 30 beetroot that won't get any bigger into the compost, guilt-free. It was a 'let's see if this works' that didn't work and now I know for next year.  :D

Robster

« Reply #58 on: November 05, 2014, 20:03 »
What a cruel thread :).  So my biggest confessions are;
All my outdoor tomatoes.  Also tried gerkins- total failure ignorance stupidity and lack of knowledge.  And that goes for about 75% of my sprouts.  There we are three crops all in the composter.

Ahh...  I feel better now.  very cathartic.

Kevin67

• 250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
« Reply #59 on: November 05, 2014, 20:08 »
30 beetroot?

My wife would eat that in a month... She's always telling me I don't do enough beetroot!
250m2 grow area + 20' x 10' pt - avid fruit grower
Cheap as chips, diy preferred
Will swap root cuttings etc

"There comes a point where Mother nature just says no, without a lot of electricity." Quote Beesrus

xx
Time to get another 5% of crops in if possible...

Started by Growster... on Grow Your Own

33 Replies
Last post May 24, 2011, 23:33
by Endymion
xx
Root crops and compost

Started by cc on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post March 01, 2023, 21:32
by Snowboar
xx
'Brown' compost materials this time of year ? My compost bin is like a sewer.

Started by garddwr on Grow Your Own

15 Replies
Last post October 14, 2023, 23:59
by pepsi100
xx
Damson - confession

Started by Poolfield2 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post February 06, 2010, 22:49
by Poolfield2

Page created in 0.453 seconds with 37 queries.