Sweetcorn Partially Formed

• 19 Replies

Hitman

Sweetcorn Partially Formed
« on: September 21, 2014, 08:27 »
Dear all,

I have tried to grow sweetcorn this year for the first time.  Everything looks OK but the cobs (if that is the right term) have very few yellow bits (like you get in a tin) and they are very spaced out with nothing in between.

Could anyone educate me as to why this is happening please?

Many thanks.

Hitman

boddy

• Winner Pumpkin Competition - 2014
  • Experienced Member
Re: Sweetcorn Partially Formed
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2014, 08:33 »
you have cobs? one up on me! my first year, disappointed. :(
My favourite weed is a raspberry ;)

mikem

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2014, 08:44 »
They have not been pollinated.  Did you plant them in blocks, where they get pollinated much better, or in a row? 

Not wishing to boast but my sweetcorn have been much better this year, not sure whether that is to do with the weather or a different variety (Swift F1) that I sowed this year.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2014, 08:45 »
I grew corn for the first time this year too. I was pleased with the results. Some of the cobs were not full but the 5 that were were very tasty. I believe that the problem for empty or partially empty cobs is caused by irregular pollination. Corn is reliant on the wind for pollination and may need a little help. I gave mine a little shake on a calm, dry day so that the pollen had more chance of landing on each silk strand. Each kernel grows on the end of a pollinated strand, no pollination of that strand....no kernel.  :(

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2014, 10:35 »
Absolutely no wind, too much wind, or very rainy conditions at pollination time can all be detrimental, although in my experience it's rare that any of those will affect cob formation to the extent you have experienced.

Planting in single rows is definitely unhelpful, but planting too closely in blocks can also have an adverse effect because the leaves tend to overlap and block the passage of pollen from the tassels to at least some of the silks.

In a block planted symmetrically I wouldn't go closer than 15" each way, although you can get away with about 10" in a row if you leave at least 18" between adjacent rows within the block.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2014, 23:14 »
I have the same problem Hitman, they look really promising on the outside but only a few have had anything like a full set of kernels.  Not even worth boiling a pan for.  :( I did the shaking of the tassels now and again, but think I maybe should have watered a bit more, it's been very dry up our way.  Also maybe too close together as JayG said.  There seemed to be lots of different advice on the web as to distances when I planted them but I did plant in a grid.  Husband has planted his a bit further apart and later than mine so we'll see if he's anymore successful.  Currently on hols but will test his cobs on return and report back.  Can't wait to get back to it but not supposed to say that while in sunny Tuscany!

beesrus

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 07:48 »
The mistake most people make is not planting enough plants. If they were an animal they would live in a herd, and wouldn't survive long as a loner or trying to exist in a small pack. I often see neighbours planting just 7 or 8 plants, which leaves them at the whim of the weather as JayG describes, with everything down to luck.
I never plant in blocks of less than 40, usually two blocks, and have never ever had a pollination problem, whatever the weather, come wind or shine. I've never tried it but would guess one  could just about succeed with blocks of 20, but  with a fair wind as it were.
They also need nitrogen in abundance and a load of water.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 07:53 by beesrus »

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2014, 09:16 »
I agree with "plant plenty", and that a block of 9 might not be enough to solve pollination on their own.

I plant about 40, but in a triple row rather than a square block (raised beds here) and I never have any trouble with pollination - except perhaps a few areas a the tip. I don't shake them etc. Garden is reasonably sheltered, but does get some breeze, so neither howling gale nor flat calm.

AnneB

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2014, 16:59 »
I was aiming for a block of 16 as that was all I had room for and we don't eat a lot of the stuff in our family as only 2 of us like it. However only 12 plants made it to maturity.   I have to report that I have managed to get full pollination on all of the cobs I have harvested so far, but I have given the plants a good shake as I walk past the bed regularly.   It is possible therefore to grow successfully without planting dozens of plants.

Fairy Plotmother

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2014, 17:23 »
I was aiming for a block of 16 as that was all I had room for and we don't eat a lot of the stuff in our family as only 2 of us like it. However only 12 plants made it to maturity.   I have to report that I have managed to get full pollination on all of the cobs I have harvested so far, but I have given the plants a good shake as I walk past the bed regularly.   It is possible therefore to grow successfully without planting dozens of plants.
I had 6 plants in a small rectangle, did quite well, but will be adding a few next year.

miggs

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2014, 22:47 »
Picked 2 cobs a few days ago, eaten them already, tasted fantastic. Very happy as it's also my first year growing them. I planted about a dozen plants and they all have lots of cob's on them waiting to be picked. Will be planting a lot more of them next year.

neatntidy

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2014, 09:04 »
I always grow baby sweetcorn (mini pop) as this is reliable and doesn't require pollinating. Usually get a great crop, multiple cobs off each plant and a longer cropping period. But accept nothing beats a fresh sweet full cob off the plot.

gavinjconway

• My Allotment Progress Website
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2014, 23:37 »
Well there is no reply from the original poster so we dont know how they were planted.. The problem is definitely very poor pollination... We need to know how they were planted..

I plant 2 blocks each year of 13 rows x 11 rows.. (yes we love our sweetcorn!) I leave them toi do their own thing about pollination. I plant 12" row spacing and 12" in the rows so very dense.. This year I also planted one block with 2 plants per station.. so really high density. They have done really well with great full cobs... almost ready to pick. You can see in the pic below... I cut off the leaves along the pathway for convienience and to give a good view of them. Perfect pollination every year.

20140831_132708L_rs.jpg
20140921_123222L_rs.jpg
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 23:38 by gavinjconway »
Now a member of the 10 Ton club.... 2013  harvested 588 Kg from 165 sq mt..

upthetump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2014, 19:44 »
not wishing to hijack the thread but............. i have huge cobs that are still white. is this down to pollination or some other problem?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2014, 19:52 »
Are they fat and white - pollinated and edible but pale - or skinny white?

Skinny white is either not pollinated, or only just pollinated and not swollen yet. If the tassels at the top are finished they won't get pollinated now  :(

xx
Partially decomposed leaves as mulch?

Started by al78 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post May 30, 2017, 13:38
by Kleftiwallah
xx
Espalier cherry formed, now what?

Started by Kleftiwallah on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 22, 2019, 14:06
by Kleftiwallah
xx
What do butternut squash fruits look like when just formed?

Started by nilsatis1964 on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post July 28, 2010, 20:56
by Ice
xx
indoor courgettes have formed flower buds, what to do?

Started by karooba007 on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post April 27, 2009, 08:53
by DD.

Page created in 0.462 seconds with 38 queries.