fertilizer for garlic and onions

• 2 Replies

chickpeacurry

• Experienced Member
fertilizer for garlic and onions
« on: September 12, 2014, 22:26 »
In preparation for Autumn planting of garlic and onions what advice would be give about what to add to the soil. I have chicken manure pellets and grow organic.  My garlic solvent white always seems to be on the small size. I am going to order some different kinds this year.  Thanks

Fisherman

Re: fertilizer for garlic and onions
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2014, 04:21 »
Solent Wight is best planted out January / February in well drained soil. If the soil is very wet or acidic (ph less than 6.5) it won't grow very well. Add plenty of well rotted manure and a little fertilzer such as Growmore or Fish, Blood & Bone. If the tops start to yellow a little in spring then give them a liquid feed or two. Don't plant them too close as they are prone to getting rust. My soil tends to be too wet early on in the year so I plant them in pots using multi-purpose compost then plant them out in March. They come ready in July and if dried properly keep for ages. I find Solent Wight is the best garlic to grow on my plot with our climate. Hope that helps.

Steveharford

Re: fertilizer for garlic and onions
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2014, 07:13 »
I agree with Fisherman. I will be picking some bfb up from Homebase as theirs works out about a quid a kilo which is reasonable. Try Albigensian as I have great success with those and they grow to a good size too.

xx
Garlic & Onions

Started by finty22 on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 05, 2009, 20:05
by pushrod
xx
onions and garlic

Started by Sparkyrog on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post August 10, 2013, 22:04
by Sparkyrog
xx
Garlic and Onions

Started by rob on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 30, 2008, 18:31
by Bigbadfrankie
xx
Onions & Garlic

Started by GaryH on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post June 08, 2009, 12:01
by Brassica Blaz

Page created in 0.703 seconds with 36 queries.