Potatoes

• 8 Replies

colin120

• Experienced Member
Potatoes
« on: September 11, 2014, 21:44 »
I am not very lucky trying to grow potatoes, first lot of potatoes I grew turned out ok & I mean ok just a few big ones rest all small, second lot of potatoes I grew got blackleg  had to burn them all, Now my third lot have all gone brown from the soil to the top of the leaves, no green leaves left everything brown.

Every time I planted the potatoes I moved to a new patch on the allotment also used new peat from Wilkinson's, just don't know what I am doing wrong.

Everything else I am growing is doing fine apart from my toms never went red so had to harvest them green and take them home and put in newspaper with a banana.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 21:48 by colin120 »

Yorkie

• Global Moderator
Re: Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 22:02 »
What variety are you growing this year?

They may just be ready to harvest ...
I try to take one day at a time, but sometimes several days all attack me at once...

Snoop

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 22:14 »
Now my third lot have all gone brown from the soil to the top of the leaves, no green leaves left everything brown.

Have you tried digging any of them up to see what they're like? Like Yorkie says, they could be ready to harvest. Have a look on the Web for pictures of potato plants that are ready to pick. You'll see they go all brown and withered.

colin120

• Experienced Member
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 22:26 »
I dug the third lot up today no potatoes there except finger nail size ones it looked like the signs of them being ready some had flowed as I said everything was brown but they looked ill.

Just don't understand why they would flower if the potatoes are only finger nail size, think they went brown because  they looked ill.

Now used the space for my winter carrots. as I cant get anymore potato seeds anywhere near me.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2014, 05:26 »
You didn't answer Yorkie's question as to which varieties you planted, also when were they planted?

Sounds like blight got the last lot.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

grinling

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2014, 12:39 »
did you grow tomatoes, or was there blight at the lottie.
Mine went over and dug up fine.
If they have blackleg, cut the plants off and dig spuds up a week later. If blackleg that might have attacked the others.

colin120

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2014, 21:03 »
Cant remember the name but they was an early Autumn potato from Wilkinson, planted late August.

grinling I don't know if anyone else had blight Or blackleg or any other diseases, no one passes that info on to each other unless you are good friends with someone who has had blight or something.

solway cropper

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 22:27 »
You planted them late August!!

Most people plant potatoes March/April for a summer/autumn crop. You can plant in summer for a winter crop but this only really works if they are under cover. Without knowing the variety you won't know how long to leave them in the ground as they can take anything from 10 to 20+ weeks to reach maturity.

Snoop

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2014, 08:54 »
Hi Colin,
Do you have an allotment on a site with others or do you garden at home? If at home, you might find a book useful or look through John's pages on how to grow assorted vegetables and other advice. There's a mine of information on John's site, not just in these threads.
If you have an allotment on a site, you might be able to ask an old timer to have a look at your plants and give you advice. They're usually only too willing to give it! If you keep an eye on what other people are doing, that's also quite a good way to see who's doing what when.
Sorry if this comes across as teaching your grandmother to suck eggs!

xx
Supermarket potatoes using as seed potatoes

Started by Rotorvator on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 10, 2024, 17:18
by snowdrops
xx
Sweet potatoes and regular potatoes

Started by Lady Rosemary on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post March 05, 2013, 20:10
by Lady Rosemary
xx
early potatoes later potatoes

Started by Anton on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post March 25, 2012, 13:03
by mumofstig
xx
Wow - potatoes

Started by willnbirdie on Grow Your Own

7 Replies
Last post July 14, 2008, 21:56
by durham_lass

Page created in 0.464 seconds with 36 queries.