• I live, therefore I garden!
Re: what not to grow in your opinion
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2014, 18:41 »
That'll be humus, then  ;)
Yeah thanks for that ::) :lol:

beesrus

« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2014, 19:06 »
Isn't hummous a lot of those huge American SUV cars which take up all the road..?
I think you'll find these days they're more likely to be humour, a sort of fledgling American irony.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 19:10 by beesrus »

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2014, 19:29 »
Isn't hummous a lot of those huge American SUV cars which take up all the road..?
I think you'll find these days they're more likely to be humour, a sort of fledgling American irony.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

AnneB

« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2014, 20:40 »
Kohl Rabbi,

Lovely looking plant, but never really found a culinary use for it that couldn't be done better with a different vegetable. Still got a row full so I'm wondering if my friends rabbits will like it.

I am quite well disposed towards kohlrabi as it is easy to grow, is not susceptible to pests (ignored by pigeons, slugs and cabbage root fly) and also because I won a first prize with one at the West Yorkshire Organics show today.   Cooking wise, aside from raw (like a carrot), use in stews, fritters, stir fries and in Indian dishes like pakora and curry.   You need to pick variety carefully though as taste is variable.  I like Azur, a purple one, which won me my prize.

MickyB

• Experienced Member
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2014, 20:41 »
Horseradish. How does one get rid of it? I planted some three years ago and have tried to dig it up every year since but its getting larger and more invasive!

A neighbour gave me some to plant, I didn't know what it was or what to do with it so I sneakily binned it - phew looks like I made the right decision.  ;)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2014, 20:51 »
Aw yus!

snowdrops

« Reply #81 on: September 13, 2014, 21:14 »
Oops I've got a pot of it waiting to be planted. Are you saying I shouldn't?  I fancied making my own horseradish sauce.
A woman's place is in her garden.

See my diary pages here
and add a comment here

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #82 on: September 13, 2014, 21:44 »
It spreads like wildfire  :ohmy:

I'd grow it in a tub to be on the safeside.

4 Seasons

« Reply #83 on: September 14, 2014, 00:13 »
Horsetail if you can avoid it.

Growster...

« Reply #84 on: September 14, 2014, 06:07 »
Kohl Rabbi,

Lovely looking plant, but never really found a culinary use for it that couldn't be done better with a different vegetable. Still got a row full so I'm wondering if my friends rabbits will like it.

I am quite well disposed towards kohlrabi as it is easy to grow, is not susceptible to pests (ignored by pigeons, slugs and cabbage root fly) and also because I won a first prize with one at the West Yorkshire Organics show today.   Cooking wise, aside from raw (like a carrot), use in stews, fritters, stir fries and in Indian dishes like pakora and curry.   You need to pick variety carefully though as taste is variable.  I like Azur, a purple one, which won me my prize.

Congratulations on your prize, Anne! I'm impressed!

The pigeons down here stripped my kohl rabi, and I had to net them etc, but I had the first one this week, so will be growing them again next year, although they were in danger of being voted off...

Headgardener22

« Reply #85 on: September 14, 2014, 10:01 »

The difficulty I've had was:

1. I grew it in a pot - didn't do much - should probably have used a bigger, deeper pot;
2. Grew it in a poor area of the allotment where I've tried Jerusalem Artichokes in the past (they died) - it just sat there
3. Grew it in a more decent area - its gone mad and is spreading, taking over a much larger space than I wanted but still hasn't produced any roots like you see on Masterchef

Going to get rid of it by digging and weed killing and try it again in a bigger, deeper pot.

devonbarmygardener

« Reply #86 on: September 14, 2014, 14:03 »

beesrus

« Reply #87 on: September 14, 2014, 14:39 »

1. I grew it in a pot - didn't do much - should probably have used a bigger, deeper pot;
2. Grew it in a poor area of the allotment where I've tried Jerusalem Artichokes in the past (they died) - it just sat there
3. Grew it in a more decent area - its gone mad and is spreading, taking over a much larger space than I wanted but still hasn't produced any roots like you see on Masterchef

Going to get rid of it by digging and weed killing and try it again in a bigger, deeper pot.
I haven't had these problems on my bulk standard loam. It's loosened and levered somewhat all round the plants each year in the Autumn with a pick, then deeply lifted with a fork. All roots are then dug up and carted away to my lair, with some always being an excellent size. The area around the site is then dug over to keep any spreading at bay, with all soil kept in the same vicinity. Nothing goes to compost. I then replant a couple of suitable half-roots in the same area. Takes about fifteen minutes. I did see the start of a runaway once, dug it up while still tiny and that was that.
I would imagine a pot would have to be at least a builders bucket and probably larger, one of the new big trugs possibly.

I highly recommend the taste of one's own horseradish sauce compared to the supermarket.... completely on a different planet. Apart from a couple of fresh roots, I keep mine in the fridge grated and soaked in a vinegar, seasonings, and then add double cream as and when I use it

Headgardener22

« Reply #88 on: September 14, 2014, 17:17 »

I haven't had these problems on my bulk standard loam. It's loosened and levered somewhat all round the plants each year in the Autumn with a pick, then deeply lifted with a fork. All roots are then dug up and carted away to my lair, with some always being an excellent size. The area around the site is then dug over to keep any spreading at bay, with all soil kept in the same vicinity. Nothing goes to compost. I then replant a couple of suitable half-roots in the same area. Takes about fifteen minutes. I did see the start of a runaway once, dug it up while still tiny and that was that.
I would imagine a pot would have to be at least a builders bucket and probably larger, one of the new big trugs possibly.

I highly recommend the taste of one's own horseradish sauce compared to the supermarket.... completely on a different planet. Apart from a couple of fresh roots, I keep mine in the fridge grated and soaked in a vinegar, seasonings, and then add double cream as and when I use it

Well that's it then. I'm on clay. My parsnips grow 5 inches wide and 3 inches long. :(

beesrus

« Reply #89 on: September 14, 2014, 18:15 »
Well that's it then. I'm on clay. My parsnips grow 5 inches wide and 3 inches long. :(
[/b]

Splattt !. Like a hockey puck.
That could well be the issue HG. In the end, we all know certain soils are what they are, and some plants will only thrive given the right adjustments.
Sounds like a big pot of compost is in order then, unless you create a mini soil. Got to be worth it one way or the other though. Considering the amount of effort many of us go through for a few fresh chili peppers every year, the loverly, and dare I say exotic, horseradish has got to be worth similar effort. One day the old fashioned more Northern roots and fruits will be as trendy as chili.
As a small point with the parsnips, why don't you do what I do even on my softee loam anyway, as it tends to have a few stones, or sometimes there may be animal manure not totally decomposed. Waggle lots of big dibbed holes a good foot deep with a hefty spike, fill them with compost like an ice cream cone, or dare I say the shape of a big parsnip, and plant/sow  your seeds/seedlings in that in the way you normally sow. A hundred parsnips, or however many you want, corresponding holes opened up, takes an extra half hour at planting time along with maybe a quarter of a bag of multi purpose compost @ £1. You would have great parsnips, I'm sure. The parsnips only want to go one way.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 18:38 by beesrus »

xx
May I ask your opinion?

Started by Dopey113 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post May 24, 2016, 22:56
by BumbleJo
xx
Looking for your opinion on my veg.

Started by ldavison10 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 18, 2008, 13:26
by DD.
xx
tata's, in your opinion?

Started by pwgun on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post November 07, 2007, 19:09
by flowerlady
question
Survey and opinion

Started by corynsboy on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post February 19, 2009, 21:33
by digalotty

Page created in 0.469 seconds with 39 queries.