Curing butternut squash...

• 20 Replies

Growster...

Curing butternut squash...
« on: September 05, 2014, 07:04 »
Has anyone picked any yet, and are they being laid out in the sun to cure?

I want to store more this year, and will also freeze some, but there isn't much room as the freezers are absolutely stuffed with other veg..;0(

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
Re: Curing butternut squash...
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2014, 07:15 »
I cut mine as soon as they have turned goldeny, and bring them home. Saves anyone being tempted --- we do have some 'walking veg' at this time in the year  :ohmy:

They then live on the garden table, which is under a small roof in the garden, and they get the sun for about half the day. I never worry it if they get rained on or have dew on them. They stay there until the frosts start and then come in and go up in the back bedroom along the bookcases. This room gets no sun all winter, and is barely heated.

Last years' lasted right through until April, so I guess it suits them  :nowink:

Hope that helps  :D
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 07:40 »
I put mine in the conservatory for a couple of weeks after harvest. I cut them with a generous "T-handle" of original stem, either side of the joint to the fruit itself, as I read somewhere that the fruit can absorb nutrients from that or some such (don't carry it by that handle though, its not that strong!). My Butternuts last through the winter (well ... they do if there are enough at harvest time!)

Nobbie

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2014, 08:16 »
My plants are still very green, so I'll leave the squashes to ripen in place until the leaves start to look tired or frost threatens. I have loads this year, but most not that large which suits me. I've started to harvest the smaller green ones which don't look like ripening as they're lovely in stews and casseroles :D

Salmo

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2014, 08:23 »
Cutting a generous stem is a good tip as it lessens the risk of fungal infections getting in.

They are perfectly happy to be left on the plant until frosts are threatened, usually another month here. When you eventually cut them bring them into the warmth of the house for about a week to cure the skin and then put them somewhere cool to store. Not sure if is better light or dark but mine were in a dark shed last year and I still have a couple of Harlequins which appear to be sound. Must use them soon.

Nobbie

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2014, 08:50 »
I stored mine on a windowsill in an unheated loft extension and they kept well until I had the last one in March. If they'd lasted longer I think I'd have moved them away from the window as it would start to get to hot in the sun and they might start shivelling. Must go to the plot to check how they're all doing :D

Growster...

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2014, 14:38 »
These are all very important tips everyone - very many thanks!

We thought that we were a bit fast last year, and so we picked them and froze everything, but storage must be a better option, as long as I can make room in the shed (insulated), which resembles 'The Old Curiosity Shop - on acid'...

Mrs Growster has just brought two (from about twenty-five) squash home, and we're doing what Sunny says - leaving them on a table in the open, but under an umbrella, because Mrs Growster is concerned that they're not ripe yet, but I'm not, so please don't tell her! She also left a good size stem on the plants, so that's another concern dealt with - thank you Kristen/Salmo! Nobbie, Mrs Growster has forbidden me from storing them in the attic, but I may well win over her on that one, as there's plenty of room!

Conservatory drying is definitely an option, as we regularly chuck stuff out there, although we sometimes have to sit on them when we have our supper, but hey, it's the good life isn't it! I didn't realise that they could last on the plant until the frosts though, so, I must clear the shelves in the shed sooner rather than later methinks...

All in all, a very helpful discussion, Chums, so thank you all!

(The word 'goldeny' will stick with me for a long, long time..;0)

beesrus

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2014, 17:43 »

They then live on the garden table, which is under a small roof in the garden, and they get the sun for about half the day. I never worry it if they get rained on or have dew on them. They stay there until the frosts start and then come in and go up in the back bedroom.

Sounds like my cat  :D

AnneB

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 23:04 »
I brought my one remaining pumpkin home from the allotment, cut early to avoid the rodent that ate its younger sibling.   I leave it on the garden table during the day, but it comes in at night to avoid any potential scoffing from the garden squirrels.

kirpi

« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2014, 20:19 »
Just a point - if you harvest a BNS and leave a T-handle, you must have cut off the nutrient and water supply to any BNS further down the line, so either cut the BNS where it joins the main vine, or you may as well harvest the lot or lose some of the ones still developing down the line.

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2014, 20:30 »
I don't think they're developing much now, Kirpi - but you have a point there.

We'll take about sixteen home and let them settle down on a warm window sill, before bedding them down in a dark shed!

I may even give them names, but don't tell Mrs Growster, please..;0)

kirpi

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2014, 21:57 »
I don't usually harvest the fruits until the vine has withered, but then I do keep the fruits hidden under the vine leaves until the last minute and I do take some off early as an insurance against wandering BNS's.

Nobbie

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2014, 08:10 »
I'm really excited about by squash harvest, I planted about 9 plants of three varieties on the site of the old communal bonfire/compost heap and it's just a mass of squash plants now. No idea how many squash as I can only see the ones around the edge at the moment. I think the recent cold nights will have halted any more growth, so i'll see what state the harvest in in today :D

Kristen

• K's Garden blog
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2014, 13:36 »
if you harvest a BNS and leave a T-handle, you must have cut off the nutrient and water supply to any BNS further down the line
I harvest my Butternuts all-at-once shortly before I think there will be a frost (or when they look "done" in mild Autumns when there is no prospect of frost)

Comfreypatch

• Experienced Member
« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2014, 21:11 »
I finish ripening mine on a sunny windowsill then I store in utility room, which is coolish,  on top of the wall cupboards, it does involve the use of a step ladder when I want to use one. :D
Diary  http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=116469.0

Comments http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=116484.0

clip
Butternut Squash & Kabocha Squash - when are they ready?

Started by Floody on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post August 17, 2014, 11:42
by Totty
xx
Butternut Squash - again

Started by Sadgit on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post September 24, 2007, 18:08
by catarama
xx
Butternut Squash..

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post October 29, 2011, 09:23
by mumofstig
question
Butternut squash

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post August 12, 2009, 00:35
by viettaclark

Page created in 0.472 seconds with 37 queries.