rice now with photos

• 17 Replies

andyk

• Experienced Member
rice now with photos
« on: January 13, 2008, 20:06 »
been down to the plot over the weekend only to find half of it four inches deep in water it was so bad i was thinking of having a go at growing rice :lol:
with having had that much rain in the past few weeks and a wet week coming what would be best fertilizer to put down before plating as with all the rain any goodness that was in the soil will be sure to have been washed out by now, i was not able to get any muck on it last back end as i have only just taken this plot over and just finished clearing an area to plant  
andy

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
rice now with photos
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 23:27 »
Growmore and liquid fertiliser will give you a help during your first season but you will need to build the fertility of your soil year by year with well rotted manure and compost. I like to top dress with my compost in the spring and lightly fork it in.  Your different rotation plots need different treatments, but I'm sure you know that.

Aidy

• Location: Born n bred Lancastrian living in tropical Blackpool
    • Aidy Neal Photography
Re: rice
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 14:14 »
Quote from: "andyk"
been down to the plot over the weekend only to find half of it four inches deep in water it was so bad i was thinking of having a go at growing rice :lol:
with having had that much rain in the past few weeks and a wet week coming what would be best fertilizer to put down before plating as with all the rain any goodness that was in the soil will be sure to have been washed out by now, i was not able to get any muck on it last back end as i have only just taken this plot over and just finished clearing an area to plant  
andy

:lol:  its your own fault for moving, we are dry on our our side, never had standing water in 5 years or more, that side your on always floods, more so at the top end. Reckon rice would be a good winter crop.

Most ppl wont put there muck down until the spring anyway, so dont worry mate, keep clearing it, I was chatting with someone nicking your shed and there looked to be a lot of couch starting to re-appear.
Punk isn't dead...it's underground where it belongs. If it comes to the surface it's no longer punk...it's Green Day!

David.

rice now with photos
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2008, 14:42 »
If it's that wet, sounds like you might also be going to have problems (as I do with waterlogged, clay soil) getting a tilth for seed planting and seeds rotting in the ground.

Which is why I now start virtually everything off in cold frames in either guttering (seeds) and cell trays (seedlings).

P.S. I have read something, somewhere about growing rice in paddling pools and old baths - has anyone tried this?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
rice now with photos
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 14:50 »
Sure it's wet, but who's panicking? Two months before I think about shoving stuff in outside. It's got to stop raining before then.
Hasn't it?
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
rice now with photos
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2008, 09:00 »
Quote from: "David."
If it's that wet, sounds like you might also be going to have problems (as I do with waterlogged, clay soil) getting a tilth for seed planting and seeds rotting in the ground.

Which is why I now start virtually everything off in cold frames in either guttering (seeds) and cell trays (seedlings).

P.S. I have read something, somewhere about growing rice in paddling pools and old baths - has anyone tried this?

No problems about getting a fine tilth, its a very sandy site, the problem is the watertable is high as St.Annes was once under sea, its reclaimed land. The site is quite large, and you can almost draw a line where you flood in winter and where your dry, my plot is a stone throw away from andy's and never floods.

andyk

• Experienced Member
rice now with photos
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2008, 18:03 »
aidy
thanks for the info that the shed has gone gives me more room. just have not been able to get down this weekend  i know the couch is comeing back but i only managed to turn it over once and then the rain came just hopeing for a dry week then i can get it sorted, i only moved plots so i had a bigger one just hope it works out this year

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
rice now with photos
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 19:18 »
Have you been down yet Andy? The plot opposit you was stocking up with trout  :lol:  must admit not seen it as bad where you are for a while, I reckon it will be a week or two of dry weather before the old roto gets on, I am dry but about 8 inches down and really wet, had to take me spuds out of the clamp just incase, Iknow the forcast is more rain.

andyk

• Experienced Member
rice now with photos
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2008, 19:23 »
not been down today and by the sound of the rain i dont think i will be going tomorrow if it stop i may pop down to see how the rice is doing :lol:

andyk

• Experienced Member
rice now with photos
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2008, 19:20 »
took these this morning if you look closely you may just see the rice  :D

Selkie

rice now with photos
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2008, 19:23 »
:shock: Andy that could be our garden after all the rain! When I eventually do tackle our garden I'm definately going with raised beds :idea:

splodger

rice now with photos
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2008, 19:25 »
yep - i'd call that a wet-one  :?

Aidy

• Aidy Neal Photography
rice now with photos
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2008, 20:02 »
As wet as that is you should see the one opposite, he was stocking trout on his, if I get chance tomorrow I will take a photo.

Trillium

rice now with photos
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2008, 20:20 »
Yikes, Andy. The committee must have seen you coming!  :wink:  :lol:

I was going to suggest raised beds for the future until Rosemary beat me to it.

andyk

• Experienced Member
rice now with photos
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2008, 20:46 »
well i might dry out some time if it ever stops raining but thats not going to happen this week

xx
Rice

Started by mrs bouquet on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post September 10, 2008, 18:40
by mashauk
xx
Growing Rice

Started by lacewing on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post July 07, 2012, 15:26
by Chrysalis
xx
Anyone else thinking of growing rice this season?

Started by Chrysalis on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post January 01, 2013, 16:34
by Chrysalis
xx
Photos please

Started by beth123 on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post April 25, 2011, 18:07
by Yorkie

Page created in 0.471 seconds with 35 queries.