let them out

• 7 Replies

ToHellWithWeeds!

• Experienced Member
let them out
« on: January 13, 2008, 19:36 »
yesterday when  i was on the allotment i let my chickens out to roam free while i was there :D  :D  i was a bit worried that they might not go back in or i would end up running after them all night but the clever little darlings went back in the house no problem  :lol: it was rather odd seing them walking about and helping me do the digging and helping hubby lay the base for the greenhouse it was really fun and i enjoyed as much as the chickens did and cant wait till we can do it again i wish now i had taken the camera with me to get some photos of them as i think they have got used to me now and get close up but never mind next time i let them out i will have the camera with me
need all the help i can get and not just with my allotment

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
let them out
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008, 19:40 »
That sound like such fun  :!:

Yes - Piccies please  :D

Louise

• Experienced Member
let them out
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008, 20:07 »
i let ours out of the run today for the first time. We clipped their wings this morning, and let them go. 2 of them were out most of the day the other seemed a little unsure about her new found freedom. I stood out in the rain for about an hour watching them. They put themselves to bed at about 5ish.
Can't wait to let them out tomorrow! :D

babypoogle

let them out
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008, 20:42 »
Arn't they funny? :lol:   I let mine out for the first time 2 days ago and have got no housework done at all - just stood and watched them.

Gracie (Marans, I think) shot out the door like a scud missile but the other two took a while to adjust to their new-found freedom.  Quite funny when I let bunny out too :D

slowef

• http://journals.aol.co.uk/slowef/thehenhouse/
let them out
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2008, 22:04 »
Ihave 1 Silkie and 1 Rock who have taken a dislike to my kitten and pester and peck him at every opportunity :cry:

BIG ZOOK

freedom
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2008, 22:41 »
i love 2 c my girls and boys out free ranging in the allotment :o  . i try 2 give them at least 15 hrs a week in the winter  :D  . always extra eggs the day after.

DavidB

Chicken Run - Aiding an escapee
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2008, 10:42 »
We've ended up taking in a stray hen over the weekend, which turned up at the top of our drive (which runs alongside a field with sheep, that would provide access to most of the other back gardens in the village, or county for that matter)

Clearly it is an escapee either from someone keeping them in their garden - or maybe from the (small) chicken house half a mile up the road....

It survived Saturday night out in the field, and on Sunday morning it presented itself to us on the drive, so let it in the garden which provides modest protection against Mssrs Fox, Badger and Buzzard.
It seems happy clearing out the flower beds for me, and have given it chopped scraps and water in a tupperware box, and made a dry corner behind the shed a little secure, which it ignored, and slept under a bush.

- What should we do next?

Neighbours suggestions varied between (a) that's next Sunday's roast sorted, and (b) you'll be getting eggs then,
whereas the Missus thinks we should try and find who lost a chicken recently...  

- How far might it have travelled?
- Do eggs just happen, or is there a trick ?
- Is it good for eating ? (Looks like the one on the front page of the Web site, Comb bright Red and about 1/2 inch tall.)

Is it going to earn it's keep doing the weeding for me and eating all the slugs, snails and other pests while leaving the roses and winter greens alone, and provide eggs by way of rent for a modest outlay of care ?

The toddler and his little friend across the road think its great.

Selkie

let them out
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2008, 11:13 »
Hi David (and welcome :D )

Could you put a little notice in a local shop window incase it's someone local's hen, or contact the people who keep chickens 1/2 a mile from you?

We've only had our hens for less than a year, I'm sure someone more experienced will have some advice for you but for what it's worth here's my take on the situation....

I don't think one hen would be too happy living on her own, but yes she should lay eggs for you if she's in good health.

You would need to provide proper shelter for her - a converted rabbit hutch or whatever so she has somewhere safe to sleep in at night, and she will need proper hens food, oyster shell etc to be in good health and condition for laying eggs.

Page created in 0.222 seconds with 28 queries.