Good sauce/plum tomato

• 35 Replies

Lardman

Good sauce/plum tomato
« on: August 25, 2014, 11:51 »
Most of this years tomatoes have end up being turning into sauce, I might as well grow sauce tomatoes next year. Im looking for a good sized, good yielding plum, ideally cordon for growing under glass which isn't prone to blossom end rot as that's put pay to all the super roma this year.

8doubles

Re: Good sauce/plum tomato
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 14:15 »
Amish paste is the best IMO.
Great for salads too.
Huge toms, got my seed from Realseeds

Have a google. :)

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 14:42 »
I grow Rio Grande (from Seeds of Italy) every year -  I let it grow 2 main stems per plant, each with its own cane, and get a great yield  :)

Steveharford

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 16:03 »
Amish paste _ very good normally. Bit disappointed this year as not many fruit per plant, but what I did get were very nice, particularly halved and fried with brekkie !

Growster...

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 17:09 »
Any chance of a sauce recipe here please?

I juiced some the other day, and really want to get something stronger - and thicker -  if possible!

It was pretty good with a little vodka though..;0)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2014, 17:11 »
If you bung them in the freezer first, Mr G, a lot of the water will come out when they're defrosted (they're also much easier to peel if you don't want the skins in the sauce).  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2014, 18:18 »
Any chance of a sauce recipe here please?

I juiced some the other day, and really want to get something stronger - and thicker -  if possible!

It was pretty good with a little vodka though..;0)

I use a simple one and bottle the sauce, using a traditional waterbath method. The jars stay fresh for at least a year and we have lovely "cook in" of all sorts of flavours to use in those deep dark days of winter. Is this the kind of thing you are after? It freezes well too, but I never seem to have enough freezer space  :lol:
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Growster...

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 07:20 »
Thanks, Girls!

I suppose I'm looking for a sauce similar to the cheapo Twongo's pasta sauce, which costs just a few pennies, but is much better than all the 'celebrity' brands dreamed up and sold by - er - 'slebs'!

It's getting the water out of the toms, and I reckon you've solved that one now - thanks!

Lardman

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 09:01 »
Amish paste _ very good normally. Bit disappointed this year as not many fruit per plant,

That's the sort of thing which bothers me. The brandy wine are like that, as there aren't many fruit per truss it doesn't take much for 2 or 3 to be ruined and your entire harvest is lost.  >:( Out of 4 plants I've had 1 tomato.

8doubles

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 12:37 »
Thanks, Girls!

I suppose I'm looking for a sauce similar to the cheapo Twongo's pasta sauce, which costs just a few pennies, but is much better than all the 'celebrity' brands dreamed up and sold by - er - 'slebs'!

It's getting the water out of the toms, and I reckon you've solved that one now - thanks!

I find a large frying pan much better than a saucepan for evaporating excess moisture from toms out of the freezer and leaving the flavour behind. :)

Growster...

« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2014, 14:36 »
Thanks, Girls!

I find a large frying pan much better than a saucepan for evaporating excess moisture from toms out of the freezer and leaving the flavour behind. :)

Excellent point, Eight!

Mrs Growster is still staring me out, immediately I mention freezing any more toms:0(

Lardman

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2014, 14:48 »
Mrs Growster is still staring me out, immediately I mention freezing any more toms:0(

Boiled my last lot then pushed them through a colanders with the potato masher not as smooth as a sieve but FAR less hassle.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2014, 16:30 »

Boiled my last lot then pushed them through a colanders with the potato masher not as smooth as a sieve but FAR less hassle.

That's an idea  :nowink:

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2014, 16:42 »
If you slow cook a trayful in the oven, with onions/garlic/red peppers,(I suppose you could slide in some courgettes if you're desperate  ::)) - much of the moisture evaporates and the skins slide off the toms easily as well.

Liquidize, season with salt/pepper/chili/herbs, (whatever you fancy really) thicken with some tomato puree if it's still a bit thin, and Bobs your uncle.

You can jar it up, boil the jars in a sauce pan for about 30mins and it'll last for a year  :)

Steveharford

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2014, 16:52 »
i just push mine through my mouli twice. once through the biggest filter then again through the second biggest. gets all the seeds and skin.

xx
Best sauce/passata Tomato

Started by stompy on Grow Your Own

13 Replies
Last post March 23, 2017, 09:14
by mumofstig
clip
time for tomato sauce!

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post August 28, 2015, 19:50
by Thrutchington
xx
plum tomato HELP!

Started by jambop on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post May 31, 2014, 23:06
by Headgardener22
xx
Plum tomato question

Started by sandygreen on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post July 05, 2012, 23:04
by Trillium

Page created in 0.335 seconds with 38 queries.