French Beans taking over

• 4 Replies

Eblana

French Beans taking over
« on: August 22, 2014, 11:54 »
I am afraid to go to my plot :homy:  I have never had much success with French Beans although we love them, the climbing ones have always fell foul to the wind and the dwarf ones seem always to be spindly and not amount to much.  Anyway this year I had the bright idea of direct sowing all the seed from all the packets I had, in the hopes I would get something out of them.  Guess what every single one of them germinated and have gone on to become really healthy plants.  I now have 120 climbing and close to 100 dwarf plants and they are all beautiful and bushy.  The bed looks like a meadow with all the flowers on them - if all the flowers become beans I don't know what I am going to do with them.  I have never had a real glut of anything on the plot but it looks like that is going to change very soon.  Is there anyway I can stagger the crop at this stage e.g. could I remove some of the flowers?

devonbarmygardener

• I live, therefore I garden!
Re: French Beans taking over
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 13:41 »
I don't know about staggering the crop - apart from sowing them a few weeks apart from may to June (and hope for the best) but french beans freeze really well without blanching so make sure you have room in your freezer!!!
Mine is chock full of beans!  ::) :D

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 13:49 »
You could let pods mature and dry and save them as dried beans for eating later in the year. We have an Italian man at our site who does this and half his plot each year is dwarf bean plants  :ohmy:

Hope that idea helps
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

marcofez

• Experienced Member
  • Land of the Triffids
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 21:27 »
You could let pods mature and dry and save them as dried beans for eating later in the year. We have an Italian man at our site who does this and half his plot each year is dwarf bean plants  :ohmy:

Hope that idea helps
I do this with some of my beans but mostly borlotti beans. No doubt the Italian man does the same as me and makes one of my favourite dishes, pasta e fagioli (pasta and beans). Usually with some Italian sausage. Yum,yum!!!! :D

tosca100

• New start, new life in BG
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2014, 05:01 »
Gosh, that is a huge amunt of plants. I direct sowed mine too with the climate being friendlier here, and from fifteen climbing plants I fed whoever in the village would take them and have far too many frozen. When I (and the village) got fed up I did what the Italian man does and let the rest seed. I now have a mountain of seed fr cooking or anyone who wants to grow their own. Trouble is, I forgot they were black! They will make interesting baked beans!!! :lol:

xx
Problem with French Beans (cobra) yellow leaves and brown curly beans

Started by djmissj on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post August 04, 2009, 09:57
by Salmo
xx
French beans, short crop v. runner beans?

Started by woodburner on Grow Your Own

17 Replies
Last post June 10, 2010, 16:02
by crh75
xx
Runner beans and French climbing beans

Started by lovemyveg on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post May 11, 2011, 12:31
by strangerachael
xx
runner beans or french beans?

Started by rivkele on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 14, 2011, 09:34
by rivkele

Page created in 0.566 seconds with 37 queries.