Best tomato this year

• 41 Replies

Steveharford

Re: Best tomato this year
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2014, 07:14 »
Sungold for me. Pink brandywine also very good. As is santonio. British breakfast disappointing for taste and juiciness although a lovely looker. Stonor is ok but nothing special.

Growster...

« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2014, 07:18 »
Gravitas!

Everyone knows that it's made from raw salmon, Balders!

Paaah!

;0)

Snoop

« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2014, 10:05 »
Cuor di Bue - absolutely amazing - and Sungold, as ever.

Gravitas!

Everyone knows that it's made from raw salmon, Balders!

Paaah!

;0)

:lol:

Lardman

« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2014, 19:33 »
Im not a big cherry tomato fan but I have to say sweet aperitif have been excellent this year. HUGE trusses, thin skin, very fleshy and they don't split when you look at them like sungold do. Very disappointed with the beef steaks apart from 1 plant which I thought was black from tusa but as it's red it can't be  :wacko:

The sungold have produced reasonably well, and Im very impressed with ACE V55F which continues to grow despite all the plants around it caving in to botrytis; it will be the only remain plant soon. (I actually have a feeling the unlabelled beef streak might be one of these)

Gardener and Rabbit

• Experienced Member
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2014, 09:18 »
Sweet n Neat Scarlet Improved, an F1 cherry tomato - earliest tomatoes I've ever had ready at start of July, in pots in a sheltered spot outdoors, and still cropping heavily.

spuriousmonkey

• tomatosilo
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2014, 19:32 »
Best new comers

Sibirskiy Skorospelyi:
Bush tomato. One of the first to ripen. Good production. Good taste.
Black cherry:
Indeterminate. One of the best tasting ones. Ripened later than sweet 1 million and not quite so productive.

Best dwarfs:
506 and Kootenai.

Last year's favourites:
Stupice didn't do well at all this year.
Anna Russian did well production wise, but didn't quite have the best taste this year.

Overall, the biggest surprise was Sibirskiy Skorospelyi. For me personally it was the clear winner of this year. A very good general bush tomato, able to withstand a cold june and still give a good harvest starting in July. Taste was also very good. A russian friend of mine said it reminded her of her childhood.

beesrus

« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2014, 19:47 »
I have a couple of unlabeled beefsteaks too, first time ever. Thought I would see what I was missing. Nothing. In fact they have been no better than the cardboard available in the supermarkets. That's me finished with unidentified plants on a whim at some garden centre. I'm ashamed to say I too can fall for their soft sell and perfect dark green leaves.

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2014, 19:54 »
My marmande outside in the plastic growhouse are groaning with green fruit, every tomato on the few trusses have grown huge and are shouldering each other aside for space. The inside one hasn't done so well, but what it has produced is lovely and sweet.
The sungold both in and out are absolutely delicious, but not producing enough at a time for the mouths waiting to eat them.
The one gardeners delight is very sweet but with a little tang, I had forgotten how nice they were and very productive too.
Fandango made nice large fruits, not amazingly tasty, but for some reason both plants turned up their toes after producing half a dozen big fruits.
Cyril's Choice produced two trusses and a lot of leaves, so was binned early on.  I have no space or time to waste on unproductive plants.

Next year will be Gardeners Delight and Marmande and I will try to resist the siren's call of new and untried varieties.
Anne

cadalot

« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2014, 07:21 »
 Here are my ratings on this years selection.

8/10 - 100s & 1000s - Results better in the ground or outside than in the greenhouse
                                  next year trying in hanging baskets
 8/10 - Beef Steak
 2/10 - Gardeners Delight
 4/10 - Harbinger
 5/10 - Money Makers 
 6/10 - Lizzano
10/10 - Sweet Baby - really productive and a lovely sweet taste
10/10 - Sweet Mullion  - really productive and a lovely sweet taste
  3/10 - Mini Plum - still green but they were planted later than all the rest

Snoop

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2014, 08:05 »
Best new comers

Sibirskiy Skorospelyi:
Bush tomato. One of the first to ripen. Good production. Good taste.
Black cherry:
Indeterminate. One of the best tasting ones. Ripened later than sweet 1 million and not quite so productive.

Best dwarfs:
506 and Kootenai.

Last year's favourites:
Stupice didn't do well at all this year.
Anna Russian did well production wise, but didn't quite have the best taste this year.

Overall, the biggest surprise was Sibirskiy Skorospelyi. For me personally it was the clear winner of this year. A very good general bush tomato, able to withstand a cold june and still give a good harvest starting in July. Taste was also very good. A russian friend of mine said it reminded her of her childhood.

Glad they came good for you in the end.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2014, 10:00 »
From seed:
Marmande (neigbour's saved seed) has set a huge crop this year, and have already harvested about six that are ripe and juicy, from plants grown outside
Polish Linguisa started off pale and weedy looking plants, late to set fruit but have now harvested several which are fully ripe and very good to cooking sauces. Done OK under cover.
Harbinger (outside) is a good all round decent red tomato. Some have split though in a corky kind of band,due to erratic watering I assume.
Chocolate Cherry (neighbour's saved seed, under cover) is a highly productive decent size cherry tomato, grown under cover. Tastes rich and juicy.
"Sungold" (own saved seed, outside) F1 so not come true - produced determinate plants with full size orange tomatoes outdoors, very heavy cropping and good traditional tomato flavour too  :D :D
Black Sea Man (own saved seed, outside) excellent heavy trusses of fruit. None yet ripe
Sweet'n'Neat Yellow: (in large pot outside) Lives up to it's name, with hundreds of tiny tomatoes easy to eat straight from the plant. Excellent for Mixed Tomato Chutney too
Red Rambling Rector (hanging basket as recommended) Found the plants too large for basket. Reasonable crop but not worth the effort really.
Garden Pearl (large pot outside) Never fails to delivery: masses of round pink fruits
Yellow Pear (cordons under cover) Tasty, pretty tomatoes in good size trusses. Trained top along a wire to enable two more trusses to set

Bought in plants, one of each:
Citrine: (under cover cordon) massive crop of yellow, lemon shaped tomatoes, very good for slicing and for cooking sauce too
Green Zebra (sheltered outside) medium sized tomatoes; small numbers on trusses but has four/five trusses. very sweet and nice in mixed salad.
Orange Paruche (under cover bush, although started as a cordon lol) Thin skinned small cherry tomatoes. Prolific but takes up a lot of space. Will save some seed for next year and try this outdoors.

Winners: Chocolate Cherry
              Marmande
              Citrine
              Sweet'n'Neat

Won't bother again: Rambling Rector
Wisdom is knowing what to ignore - be comfortable in your own skin.
My Blog
My Diary
My Diary Comments

Growster...

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2014, 16:58 »
Very interesting comment on 'Sungold', KC, as I was wondering what would happen when they reverted, and which way they'd go! I don't know the origin of 'Sungold', but presume that many of these cherry toms have a similar grand-parent!

We used to grow a yellow tom, (the name escapes me), but I like the sound of your idea, as we'll definitely be trying 'Marmande' down on 'The Patch', next year with a full dose of old manure, and I now think that a few 'Sungold' as you describe will be a great addition! The 'Alicante' bog-standard toms down there have been fabulous, so as long as blight doesn't get in the way, your idea could be a winner for us!

Well done that Gardeneress!

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2014, 17:14 »
Very interesting comment on 'Sungold', KC, as I was wondering what would happen when they reverted, and which way they'd go! I don't know the origin of 'Sungold', but presume that many of these cherry toms have a similar grand-parent!

We used to grow a yellow tom, (the name escapes me), but I like the sound of your idea, as we'll definitely be trying 'Marmande' down on 'The Patch', next year with a full dose of old manure, and I now think that a few 'Sungold' as you describe will be a great addition! The 'Alicante' bog-standard toms down there have been fabulous, so as long as blight doesn't get in the way, your idea could be a winner for us!

Well done that Gardeneress!
My sungold were my own saved seed from last year and they look just like proper sungold.  I am going to save some this year and see if they breed true next year.

sunshineband

• Global Moderator
  • Tallest Sunflower prizewinner 2014
    • A Little Bit of Sunshine
« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2014, 17:42 »
That's interesting Annen: I wonder why ours differed?  At least we both had decent toms we could eat  ;) I'll be saving more this year, so I shall see what arrives then  :D

and Growster, you might like to know that our Marmande went in amongst the remains of the Autumn onions, where the ground had been flooded for a few weeks in the winter too. They have produced all this bounteousness on the back of liquid feed only, so with manure --- they could probably make a bid for world domination I reckon  :lol:

Annen

• Anne's Gardening Diary
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2014, 19:41 »
That's interesting Annen: I wonder why ours differed?  At least we both had decent toms we could eat  ;) I'll be saving more this year, so I shall see what arrives then  :D

and Growster, you might like to know that our Marmande went in amongst the remains of the Autumn onions, where the ground had been flooded for a few weeks in the winter too. They have produced all this bounteousness on the back of liquid feed only, so with manure --- they could probably make a bid for world domination I reckon  :lol:
Ours probably differed because with hybrids you never quite know what you are going to get next, could be good, could be bad  :nowink: We were just lucky this time.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 19:41 by Annen »

xx
Another year, another tomato seed mishap.....

Started by viettaclark on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post April 25, 2012, 08:55
by mrs mud
xx
Saving tomato seed for next year

Started by juvenal on Grow Your Own

31 Replies
Last post August 02, 2015, 17:24
by Headgardener22
xx
Can I reuse last year’s tomato grow bag?

Started by Hampshire Hog on Grow Your Own

4 Replies
Last post March 09, 2024, 13:45
by Hampshire Hog
xx
keeping tomato seeds for next year

Started by Ian_A on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post August 08, 2010, 12:43
by DD.

Page created in 0.518 seconds with 37 queries.