Vine weevils, again

• 3 Replies

AlaninCarlisle

Vine weevils, again
« on: August 20, 2014, 20:55 »
I treated my polytunnel with a dose of nematodes last spring. following advice on here. after my strawberries and other over-wintering plants started dying off. This cured the problem and so far the replacement strawberries look strong and healthy, BUT.

I spotted a vine weevil in there today. This begs the question as to how frequently I should apply the nematode treatment. Should I be doing it again whilst the weather is still warm to avoid a repetition of last winter/spring's disaster?

mjpalin

• MJ - also known as Michelle!
    • Starmaker - my other "hobby"
Re: Vine weevils, again
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 21:45 »
I've always been led to believe it's best to do it twice a year - when it warms up in Spring and about September - I know some suppliers offer a slight discount if you order both treatments at the same time, and they'll then deliver when appropriate.
Link to my first attempt at a diary: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113513.0

Comments & suggestions on my diary welcome here: http://chat.allotment-garden.org/index.php?topic=113518.0

Spend ytd: £293.44 (setting up plot 29 has been expensive) Harvest ytd: £163.93 (as at 8/8)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 16:17 »
Autumn (about now) and Spring (when the weather warms up).  The grubs will be growing now (as you've seen) so nematode but make sure the soil is moist (a quick water before you apply) and that you keep it moist for a while afterwards (instructions will be on the packet).

I only saw one grub when I was re-potting this spring, and I nematoded twice last year.  I'm going to keep up doing it twice a year now as even if I eradicate the ones in my garden, they may come from neighbours gardens.

Some people go out at night with a torch and shake the beetles off the plants and squish...

I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

rosiecider

• Experienced Member
  • rosiecider
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 16:19 »
Autumn (about now) and Spring (when the weather warms up).  The grubs will be growing now (as you've seen) so nematode but make sure the soil is moist (a quick water before you apply) and that you keep it moist for a while afterwards (instructions will be on the packet).

I only saw one grub when I was re-potting this spring, and I nematoded twice last year.  I'm going to keep up doing it twice a year now as even if I eradicate the ones in my garden, they may come from neighbours gardens.

Some people go out at night with a torch and shake the beetles off the plants and squish...
Thats me get the sneaky little b@@@@rs unaware  :)
:D I garden therefore I am

xx
Vine Weevils

Started by Tigerhair on Grow Your Own

12 Replies
Last post March 02, 2011, 07:48
by savbo
xx
Cockchafers! (or Vine Weevils actually!)

Started by Faz on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post March 18, 2009, 11:22
by pete
xx
vine weevils in my carrots

Started by azubah on Grow Your Own

6 Replies
Last post April 15, 2012, 09:13
by sunshineband
xx
Strawberry Plant & Vine Weevils

Started by jamesk34 on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post February 24, 2012, 20:55
by gobs

Page created in 0.332 seconds with 39 queries.