Plagued with flies - help!

• 8 Replies

ghost61

Plagued with flies - help!
« on: August 19, 2014, 20:38 »
My hens are free to roam the garden in the afternoons, and as a result, the garden is full of flies.  As soon as they have a poo, the flies swarm on to it and even when I pick it up or cover it with Biodri they just wait on the bushes until the next poo comes along. 

It's getting very bad and I am at a loss as to how to deter the flies as far as possible.  I don't have a problem in the run as I have fly papers hanging up, lavender and mint etc planted around the run.  The problem is confined to the garden. 

Any suggestions as to how to put them off would be much appreciated.  I have heard about fly catchers that are basically rotting meat, but don't fancy those at all, as I think they would encourage even more flies!

Thanks

Geo

• Experienced Member
Re: Plagued with flies - help!
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 21:39 »
Red top Fly catchers on ebay are very effective. I have one on a hanging basket bracket. Put it up away from the house and the coop. Will attract the fly within days.

Sassy

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 10:55 »
I have heard the Red Top catchers are good. You could try planting or putting branches of elder around. I have not tried it myself but believe it is supposed to work :)
Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you wanted!!

ghost61

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2014, 18:17 »
Have ordered a red top, so hopefully that will solve the problem.

Will let you know!

wolfpup

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 11:13 »
I used to be plagued with flies - and spent £££££s on the red top fly catchers, mint, lavender etc  ........... unfortunately there are far more flies than I had £££££s.

I learned about fermenting the hen's feed and since doing it (for around 8 months now) I have no flies whatsoever in the coop or runs.     The hens actually get all the available nutrition from their feed so nothing that comes out the rear end is of interest to flies.

A couple of months ago I got another 8 POL hens and for the first 36 hours the flies were back with a vengeance, but as soon as the fermented feed went through their system - the flies looked elsewhere for their feed.

I use LAB to ferment my feed,  but all you really have to do is soak your feed in water for around 4 days, stirring a couple of times a day, and it will ferment itself.   

I did a post about fermenting feed which goes into more detail.     I am away now for a week - but if you would like to know more just pm me.

barley

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 20:12 »
my hens eat flies --- ewwwwwwwwwwwwwww

ghost61

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2014, 20:21 »
Mine would be very fat if they did!  Fussy things, don't eat slugs and snails either!

ghost61

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 19:22 »
Just an update.  The red top fly catcher is brilliant!  OH is fascinated with the flies queuing up to get in......

Honey65

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2014, 19:01 »
I used to be plagued with flies - and spent £££££s on the red top fly catchers, mint, lavender etc  ........... unfortunately there are far more flies than I had £££££s.

I learned about fermenting the hen's feed and since doing it (for around 8 months now) I have no flies whatsoever in the coop or runs.     The hens actually get all the available nutrition from their feed so nothing that comes out the rear end is of interest to flies.

A couple of months ago I got another 8 POL hens and for the first 36 hours the flies were back with a vengeance, but as soon as the fermented feed went through their system - the flies looked elsewhere for their feed.

I use LAB to ferment my feed,  but all you really have to do is soak your feed in water for around 4 days, stirring a couple of times a day, and it will ferment itself.   

I did a post about fermenting feed which goes into more detail.     I am away now for a week - but if you would like to know more just pm me.

Really interested as have same problem as Ghost61.  Will PM you.

xx
Flies

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

9 Replies
Last post June 09, 2009, 11:35
by joyfull
xx
FLIES!!!!

Started by tezlin on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post June 23, 2010, 11:46
by Beano
xx
Flies

Started by nzdunn on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post November 16, 2009, 13:52
by joyfull
question
Flies

Started by Blarney on The Hen House

82 Replies
Last post April 21, 2009, 22:05
by smiler43

Page created in 0.369 seconds with 28 queries.