Moving a greenhouse?

• 6 Replies

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
Moving a greenhouse?
« on: August 16, 2014, 17:29 »
Hi guys I recently moved and the new place has a lovely greenhouse but I am not 100% happy with it's location. How easy is it to move a greenhouse? Anything I need to know/consider before taking on the task?

Many thanks.

Lardman

Re: Moving a greenhouse?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 18:05 »
Depends on the make / construction. If it's your standard run of the mill frame, just drop the glass out, free it from the base and 2 people will be able to move the frame without taking it apart. If like me you're a 'Billy no mates', you'll need to dismantle it into sections and then re-assemble it, you wont get much change from a weekends work.

It's always good to have some glazing extra clips at hand, if you have to disassemble it add some extra bolts into the channels, but it's really not a difficult job.

gypsy

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 18:36 »
My daughter and myself moved mine. It was as easy as Lardman says but we broke a couple of panes of glass so be prepared, you may need extra glass.
Catherine

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2014, 18:56 »
As already stated, if you don't have to dismantle the actual frame it will save most of the hard work - now is the time to think about whether you would like a higher (or lower) base, and make sure it's completely square and true or you might distort the frame enough to make it difficult to get the glass back in.
Sow your seeds, plant your plants. What's the difference? A couple of weeks or more when answering possible queries!

One of the best things about being an orang-utan is the fact that you don't lose your good looks as you get older

fallen angel

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2014, 20:00 »
Firstly appologies for putting this in the wrong place.

Thanks for the advice guys I am slightly gutted as the place I have moved to is council and before I took it on there was spare glass for the greenhouse in the shed and then the council obviously removed the spare stuff before I got here :-(

Is it best to put the greenhouse on a concrete base or railway sleepers or anything like that?

Thanks again

gypsy

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2014, 20:11 »
I have a council plot, the previous tennants and maybe plenty before them had put 3 stuctures of some kind on the plot all with concrete bases. I am left with the concrete bases which I cannot dig up so it makes my growing space much less. I think concrete on rented allotments should not be allowed.

JayG

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2014, 20:20 »
Firstly appologies for putting this in the wrong place.

No apology required - there is a fair bit of overlap between the different boards on this forum (it also depends on how alert and energetic the mods are at any given moment in time!)

Can't comment on what should or shouldn't be allowed on council allotments, but anything heavy but removable (like concrete blocks or sleepers) will hopefully do the job as a GH base but still be capable of being removed by subsequent plot holders if necessary.

xx
Help please... am stuck moving greenhouse!

Started by missycat on Design and Construction

6 Replies
Last post August 14, 2009, 06:53
by Rangerkris
xx
Advice on moving greenhouse over 5.5ft hedge

Started by BestBreast on Design and Construction

7 Replies
Last post January 22, 2009, 20:28
by BestBreast
xx
I've been given a greenhouse!

Started by potatopotato on Design and Construction

17 Replies
Last post January 25, 2008, 20:15
by Cynara
xx
DIY Greenhouse

Started by digital_biscuit on Design and Construction

11 Replies
Last post August 15, 2007, 15:56
by GrannieAnnie

Page created in 0.145 seconds with 39 queries.