Duck eggs keep getting broken

• 8 Replies

rowe1311

Duck eggs keep getting broken
« on: August 14, 2014, 21:20 »
We have 2 hens and 2 ducks.  Our hen eggs are fine but the duck eggs generally get broken every time they lay.  We can sometimes rescue the odd duck egg, but they seem to have a fragile shell so get trampled on and then eaten.  We use poultry grit in the feed and also crush our egg shells to add.  We are feeding the ducks layers pellets like the chickens which I am wondering whether that might be part of the problem. 

Any ideas on how to rescue our duck eggs.  We are really starting to miss them. 

Angela

rowe1311

Re: Duck eggs keep getting broken
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2014, 09:22 »
I have just seen that where one of the ducks is laying, and went to get the egg and found one of the chickens pecking at it.  It is obvious the chickens are eating the eggs rather than them accidentally getting broken by being trod on.  Not sure what to do. 

Snoop

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2014, 10:09 »
If it were me, I'd separate the chicken that's been eating the duck eggs and see if the problem stops (i.e. it's just her and not both of them) and then consider your options. You could also keep the ducks and chickens in separate compounds. If you let them all out to free range, leave it till after you've collected the duck eggs.

rowe1311

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2014, 22:02 »
I have started to separate the hens and the ducks.  The only problem with that is they have usually laid the egg before we let them out.  We managed to rescue one today which we now get quite excited about. 

rowe1311

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2014, 10:37 »
I am now using oyster shells instead of poultry grit, and there has been improvement in one of the duck eggs, but the other is sell exceptionally fragile.  They have been laying them near the pond, but it is broken before I have picked it up.  Do you think I need to by a different feed for the ducks?  They look healthy enough it is just the eggs that are exceptionally fragile.

Snoop

« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2014, 11:04 »
I'm not an expert on ducks but went looking on the web for you. There's a similar query over feed on this forum in America:

http://www.backyardchickens.com/t/402437/can-ducks-eat-chicken-layer-pellet

You might find the answer from Amiga interesting.

grinling

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2014, 22:46 »
They need access to grit and oyster shell.
Can you give the ducks a separate house and run as chickens perch and ducks don't.
Are the ducks looking well with clear eyes and breathing well with no wheezing.
Chickens may have problems if drinking from the pond as they cannot filter water or swim.

rowe1311

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2014, 21:52 »
Thanks for the information, it takes me a while to respond.  The link on the web is very helpful.  The ducks seem healthy, I haven't looked at their eyes but will look tomorrow.  One egg is fine it is just the other one that is super fragile.  Oyster shells in abundance seems to help one duck but not the other.  The chickens seem healthy enough and laying well. 

Will see if duck food makes a difference when I get round to buying it.   

grinling

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2014, 22:01 »
you will need to separate the ducks and chooks as the chooks will eat the duck food. Ducks will eat from the ground and not from a chook feeder.

xx
wanted mandarin duck eggs and peacock eggs please - wales

Started by CMFAM on The Hen House

7 Replies
Last post May 04, 2008, 16:00
by babe
xx
Broken eggs!

Started by Mrs Tweedy on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post August 26, 2009, 19:41
by AmandaH
xx
Broken eggs

Started by Jenni on The Hen House

2 Replies
Last post May 18, 2009, 14:22
by Roughlee Handled
xx
Broken Eggs!

Started by Nickchick on The Hen House

1 Replies
Last post April 28, 2010, 17:08
by joyfull

Page created in 0.333 seconds with 36 queries.