Swede

• 11 Replies

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
Swede
« on: August 12, 2014, 13:21 »
This is my first year successfully growing swede and I have noticed that some of them are already big enough to eat. Now I thought they were more of a winter vegetable and I was hoping they would be as I have loads of veg to eat at the moment! Will they keep ok as they are or am I going to have to harvest them?

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
Re: Swede
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 13:27 »
They'll sit in the ground all winter. Just harvest them as you want them.
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 13:29 »
When did you sow them? perhaps try a little later next year  :unsure:

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 13:57 »
I sowed them the last week of May - so maybe will try later next year. I'm glad they will just sit there though DD - was hoping that would be the case!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 14:39 »
That's about the right time to sow them, it's been a good growing year!  They sit through all weathers, but will last weeks at home if you bring a few home at a time if you can't get to the plot because of the weather.

Nobbie

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 14:47 »
Not sure what downsides there are to sowing earlier? Could they bolt in the first year if sown too early? I've never seen it myself. The later you sow, the less time they have to recover if they get hit by the numerous pests that seem to want to eat them - flea beetle, pigeons, caterpillars, rabbits >:(

georget

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 15:54 »
My swedes are very poor this year no size at all must be something lacking in the soil might try a feed of nettle tea!The tops are there but not growing.

RJR_38

• www.foodinmytum.com
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 17:45 »
Thanks everyone :) I will just be pleased that they are doing so well then. I honestly don't know what the weather has been like here for the past 3 1/2 weeks but the plants must have loved it because everything is huge. Even the squash plant I thought was dying has taken over the world and has 4 decent size squash (and a baby) on it!

beesrus

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 18:48 »
They  keep well in the ground for an age. I'm of Nobbie's school of thought, no reason not to sow earlier if you have the mild climate. It's a big crop down this way ( turnips in correct Cornish parlance :ohmy: ) .. they certainly can be held up drastically, if not terminally, by flea beetle and rogue birds.

My first batch were sown in mid April and are rather large given the weather, and the odd pastie or three have already been filled by some beauties. Pasties are an all year round delicacy.
My second batch were sown 3 June, and will take care of the New Year/Spring requirements given a fair wind.

BumbleJo

• Experienced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2014, 07:22 »
Will deff so mine earlier next year, did it after hols mid June this year, been battling flea beetle ever since.  A few look they might come through but lost a lot.  :(

brokenglass

• Experienced Member
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2014, 11:05 »
Every time I have tried to leave them in the ground until I need them they have become very woody.      Is this down to irregular watering/feeding/temperature variation or just bad luck?
Do you really need al that lettuce/

Beetroot Queen

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2014, 11:16 »
I maybe tempting fate but mine are looking good, neglect and lack of care and worry have done well this year

xx
swede

Started by rowlandwells on Grow Your Own

11 Replies
Last post April 04, 2019, 15:25
by jaydig
xx
swede

Started by keith on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post June 20, 2007, 12:17
by keith
xx
swede

Started by alancas on Grow Your Own

8 Replies
Last post March 13, 2013, 09:30
by pdblake
xx
first try with swede

Started by muckyboots on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post February 27, 2024, 13:20
by Nobbie

Page created in 0.979 seconds with 38 queries.