Rhubarb!

• 7 Replies

Auntiemogs

Rhubarb!
« on: August 06, 2014, 15:38 »
I've been quite restrained when harvesting my rhubarb this year, as I wanted to ensure a good crop next year.  With the combination of warm weather and the occasional torrential downpour, it's grown like a triffid, and has a good 30 stalks (again).

So, is it really too late to do a last harvest?  And if not, am I better taking the thinner stalks as opposed to the wider, more fibrous ones?

Mags  :)
I would rather live in a world
where my life is surrounded by mystery
than live in a world so small that my mind could comprehend it...✿~ Harry Emerson Fosdick

AlaninCarlisle

Re: Rhubarb!
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 20:26 »
I have several huge clumps of rhubarb and as in the past, I'm still harvesting it. I know that the wise old sages tell you not to take any after July but I tend to make my own rules up. I'll still be taking thick stems until at least the middle of the month or until they go limp, whichever happens first

Lulu

• Winner Best Sunflower - 2012
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 21:17 »
Oh no - are you meant to stop picking it?? Did just that today.  Seems to be growing back OK. I shall stop now then. :wub:
Wash your hands, stay at home, distance yourself

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 21:56 »
Mine has collapsed already - otherwise I'd still be taking the thick ones to make apple & rhubarb chutney  :(

beesrus

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 22:04 »
Apart from a very early few stalks, my plants, old and new, have been rested this year. I didn't mean to, as I had designated my best huge plant for rhubarb wine, but I never got around to it. Wine making in particular needs to heed when we pick the rhubarb, in other words, not too late, and now is too late in my understanding of the  acid thing. Next year the big huge bush really will be plundered for wine and then dug up ... my other plants are coming along nicely and will do the desert thing. That's the plan. :)

Auntiemogs

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 22:23 »
Mine has collapsed already - otherwise I'd still be taking the thick ones to make apple & rhubarb chutney  :(
It collapses at some point?  Sorry Mum, anywhere local I can drop some off for you (I only need enough for a couple of crumbles for brother in law)?  :)

Thanks for the wine info Beesrus.  Luckily I've already made mine, but I might have been tempted to freeze and use for wine if you hadn't mentioned the acidity thing...

BussinSpain

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 07:26 »
The Spanish here do not know what rhubarb is.  I sowed some seed in February and I now have about 5 plantlets growing on nicely.
Now what shall I do today?

simonwatson

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 07:48 »
I don't stop until it collapses, but just slow down a bit. The plants produce such huge thick stalks that I don't think I could harm them no matter what I do.

xx
rhubarb,,can you get orange rhubarb

Started by jolly jen on Grow Your Own

14 Replies
Last post February 03, 2008, 14:17
by jolly jen
xx
Rhubarb

Started by digger1957 on Grow Your Own

1 Replies
Last post July 30, 2008, 01:32
by Trillium
xx
Rhubarb

Started by Plottered on Grow Your Own

10 Replies
Last post July 26, 2011, 08:26
by sunshineband
xx
rhubarb

Started by new_2_veg on Grow Your Own

5 Replies
Last post January 11, 2008, 17:37
by new_2_veg

Page created in 0.472 seconds with 38 queries.