Mini Greenhouses

• 21 Replies

mashauk

Mini Greenhouses
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2008, 14:30 »
Quote from: "clarebear"
Thanks for all your replies. I think I'm going to put it up against the back of the shed and weigh it down. There is a good amount of sun there but it should be shady enough that it doesn't over heat.

I'm just going to use it for starting off onions ans a few other things before i plant out. I don't think i'd be able to grow toms in it cos i think they grow quite big and there won't be room for them. I'll give it a shot anyway but i won't use it for everything.

I was thinkning for the onions i'm going to start some off on the window sill inside, some in the mini greenhouse and some straight to the ground later on and see how it goes.

Thanks again.

Don't put anything in it that you couldn't bear to lose though, ours blew everywhere, I'll probably have a nice cabbage patch in the garden soon  :lol:

Scribbler

Mini Greenhouses
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2008, 17:20 »
We had one and I put about 8 bricks in the bottom, and sited it against a fence, so it didn't blow away. After about three years the plastic starts to degrade because of the UV, but apparently you can replace them. Used mine when I first started growing basil. Best left open otherwise they do get very hot. They're very useful and have a small footprint if you're stuck for space.
Growing salad leaves isn't rocket science.

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Mini Greenhouses
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2008, 23:47 »
I grew a cucumber in one last summer.  It did better that the one I grew in the greenhouse.

ditchdigger

• Experienced Member
Mini Greenhouses
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2008, 01:24 »
One of my customers grew two cannabis plants in one,  they were belters.
If it wasn't for chemicals we'd be organic.

Lynne

Mini Greenhouses
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2008, 12:00 »
I have two 4 tier one's which I have at home. I weigh them with a slab on the bottom shelves so you can still use the shelf.

I find them great for seedlings and for hardening off before taking things to the allotment. At the moment I have one in the kitchen (without cover) for my onion seeds.  :roll:

I try to get the heavy duty replacement covers as I find they last about 2 years.
Lynne.

So much to do, but so little time.

wellingtons

I've used one ...
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2008, 16:45 »
... and they're great for seedlings and growing things on but I don't find they're as good for growing crops.  They're impossible to ventilate.

I use stakes inside the metal frame to keep mine on the ground, but as you say they do tend to take off a bit.

At home I have a very small lean to glass greenhouse that I've had for years and that is brilliant, and tends to blend in around the rest of the garden.  I've got a small fairly typical townhouse sized garden, albeit with ambitions of being a cottage garden in style.

Oh and like Auntie my cucumber was galloping away in my plastic greenhouse last year ... flaming marvellous it was, til I realised it was a courgette ...  :?   And yes I have bought and will be using lots of labels this year!!

Aunt Sally

• Administrator
  • Everyone's Aunty
Mini Greenhouses
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2008, 21:11 »
As I said Wellie, brilliant for cucumbers.  Fully open during the day, close at night for protection.

Werked fer me !

xx
mini greenhouses

Started by paintedlady on Grow Your Own

22 Replies
Last post February 14, 2008, 19:53
by Noah'strolly
xx
Mini greenhouses

Started by FCG on Grow Your Own

18 Replies
Last post June 02, 2008, 22:05
by Boothy
xx
Plastic mini greenhouses

Started by HLS on Grow Your Own

20 Replies
Last post April 22, 2009, 08:51
by Debbie D
xx
Mini plastic greenhouses

Started by matt80 on Grow Your Own

24 Replies
Last post March 04, 2009, 18:09
by Stree

Page created in 0.71 seconds with 36 queries.