How Did You Get Into This?

• 40 Replies

freyaluck

« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2006, 10:51 »
My first post so hello
When I was little we lived in the middle of nowhere, just a row of eight houses and large gardens.  |Although my parent grew nothing bith me neighbours had large veggie plots and I used to help wally next door in his garden, at 7 I managed to scrounge a small patch of our garden off me mum and grew my first potatoes, whic I was not allowed to eat just in case the cats had pooed :shock: yes my mum was fuddy duddy and had a phobia of germs.
I loved eating next doors fresh produce and often had tea at wallies as my mum would not avail to me eating home grown produce although we were allowed to eat the plums off the several trees that were in the garden.  At 12 We moved to the town And didn't have room for any veg , but I would go and collect the wilds foods and still do now, nothing better than mushrooms plucked straight from the ground.
Now at the tender age of 24 I have my own house with a tidler of a veg patch and have just been handed the paperwork for my first allotment :D , so from tomorrow will be donning my spade and off to the lottie for some weed clearing, I haven't been this chuffed in years.
I just wish mum and dad had seen the light when I was a child :)
Frey

noshed

« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2006, 11:44 »
Welcome Frey. I don't think your Mum was alone - some of my workmates have been a bit shocked when confronted by soil on things I've brought in. Where did they think I was growing it, on the mantelpiece?
Anyway we'll all look forward to sharing advice with you. Roughly where are you - it helps if we know. Shetland, Spain or Scilly?
All the best
Self-sufficient in rasberries and bindweed. Slug pellets can be handy.

GrannieAnnie

• Grandmother of the Forums
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2006, 20:07 »
Welcome from me to Frey.  I've discovered that people don't like mud either!!!!  OH tells me off when I wash the eggs that the chooks have laid in the run, but peeps don't like mud on their eggs either!!

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2006, 23:38 »
I'm pleased to see this thread growing. Thanks to all that have provided input. Keep it coming, it's all good reading.

We've been in Cornwall for a week, it's not quite our anniversary, but in 3 days time I married Mrs. Dave 30 years ago on her 20th Birthday. You do the calculations & you can see it get's expensive!! Daughter is 21 3 days later as well!!

Our honeymoon was spent in Cornwall 30 years ago, but they never had the likes of the Eden Project, Lost Gardens Of Helligan etc... so maybe some things do get better!!
Did it really tell you to do THAT on the packet?

milkman

« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2006, 10:26 »
many congratulations digger dave & Mrs digger dave!
Gardening organically on chalky, stony soil.

DD.

• Global Moderator
  • Location: Loughborough. a/k/a Digger Dave. Prettiest Pumpkin prizewinner 2011
  • Pea God & Founder Member of The NFGG
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2006, 17:47 »
Quote from: "milkman"

Thank you, Ernie :oops:

WeedDetester

Hello everyone
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2006, 21:38 »
New allotmenteer reposrting for duty.

Well, I actually started early last year and had a reasonable season. This year following the arrival of our youngest daughter, I found it a vbit difficult to get on the plot hence it suffered a bit. Bloomin weeds...but with a little help from a work colleague ( and a snotty letter from the Council) we're busy preparing for next year. I'm starting to get the bug again......doesn't take long.

Took our oldest daughter Lucy  (4) to the plot tonight for the 1st time in ages. She spent all her time looking for worms and placing "Sponge Bob Square Pants" stickers all over the fence poss to brighten up the plot.

Well, hopefully I can get going again especially next season but any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Ian
Beauty Is In the eye Of The Beer Holder

muntjac

« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2006, 21:45 »
dont try and do it all in one go .you have all winter.
 but thems cold days ? ah but how warm will you get digging etc .and ,HAVE FUN little uns love a bit of garden to grow thier own  magic carrots and telly tubby peas ? :roll:
still alive /............

milkman

« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2006, 11:53 »
the postie to our shop took on a plot for his family on our site this year - he created 2 fixed beds for his little boy and girl and they have had great fun sowing and growing and harvesting stuff and just digging about with their forks and spades.

Oliver

Sorry this is a bit late ...
« Reply #39 on: October 17, 2006, 12:11 »
Quote from: "milkman"

we have been ait and abait a bit, so sorry our message of congratulations is a bit belated!
Best wishes from us all
Oliver, TheotherOne, him and her.
Keep the plot cultivated, that's the best way to ensure its future.

Oliver

Re: How Did You Get Into This?
« Reply #40 on: October 17, 2006, 12:36 »
Quote from: "Digger Dave"
..My Grandfather was in service as a Gentleman's Gardener  ...

ASIDE: Hi DiggerDave - funny to read this - Her Great Grandfather (born in Scotland) was a Gentleman's Gardener in Seaham Harbour in Durham  (?)where he was married on 'the estate' and where his kids were born. One of his sons went on to become a mounted policeman in Bechuannaland (now Botswana). When he left the mounted police he became a farmer.

They moved from London to their house in 1971 and saw a derelict plot amongst other derelict plots on the allotments nearby. They took one on - because they liked the idea of working the land and their garden is very small -  and 35 years later are still in the same house, working the same plot, but had by now have taken on the plots on either side. (Since they retired they have more time to work them). They try every year to be as self sufficient as possible and to get the succession sowing right! They can also grow things that need so fussing with. When they were in paid employment they had to grow stuff which could look after itself so some extent as time was rather scarse.

The only things they are self sufficient in are onions, cabbages and spinach, pumplins and squash, chillies, and JAM, the other stuff they are semi-self sufficient - like for 6 months of the year. Quite a lot of stuff goes in the freezer. Blackberries are always prolific and freeze well.
They must try clamping potatoes, carrots and beetroot!

Page created in 0.294 seconds with 36 queries.