Indigo Rose tomatos

• 7 Replies

upthetump

• Experienced Member
Indigo Rose tomatos
« on: July 28, 2014, 15:38 »
anyone else growing them? i have one plant with tomatos black on top and green underneath. i have taken them home to ripen in the window (turning green sides to the sun) but i cant tell when they are ripe. i had one black all over and bright green inside when i cut it. any ideas? all seems a bit of a faff to me.

mumofstig

• Global Moderator
Re: Indigo Rose tomatos
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 16:09 »
Inside, fruits offer tasty rouge-tone flesh. Tomatoes are ripe when skin turns from shiny blue-purple to dull purple-brown and the bottoms of the fruits turn from green to red. Fruits take a while to ripen, but are truly worth the wait!

http://bonnieplants.com/products/new-for-2014/indigo-rose-tomato

upthetump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 16:21 »
Inside, fruits offer tasty rouge-tone flesh. Tomatoes are ripe when skin turns from shiny blue-purple to dull purple-brown and the bottoms of the fruits turn from green to red. Fruits take a while to ripen, but are truly worth the wait!

http://bonnieplants.com/products/new-for-2014/indigo-rose-tomato

thanks for that, i think i will wait until we can taste before deciding on whether to grow them again,

neal

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 22:13 »
Tryed these myself last year they do take a long time to ripen but do turn a dark orange on the green side
that faces away from the sun. I found the crop was poor and apart from the novelty value would not grow them again.

upthetump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 11:30 »
Tryed these myself last year they do take a long time to ripen but do turn a dark orange on the green side
that faces away from the sun. I found the crop was poor and apart from the novelty value would not grow them again.

i think thats where i'm heading unless the taste makes it worthwhile. seems to have been bred because they can, cant see any definite advantages over others unless the taste and the health benefits are appreciable

upthetump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 13:09 »
hi all, just thought i would post an update, wife has fried first (almost ) ripe tom today, and though slightly bitter was not put off by that, no discernable tatse advantage over the gardners delight we have grown but not dissapointed with taste. as they are open pollinated and given the health benefits claime i may be tempted to grow a few more next year

upthetump

• Experienced Member
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2014, 13:42 »
hi all, just thought i would post an update, wife has fried first (almost ) ripe tom today, and though slightly bitter was not put off by that, no discernable tatse advantage over the gardners delight we have grown but not dissapointed with taste. as they are open pollinated and given the health benefits claime i may be tempted to grow a few more next year

tried not fried  ::)

Snoop

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 15:48 »
given the health benefits claime i may be tempted to grow a few more next year

For straight-forward information on anthocyanins and other food sources that might be less faff, this might be of interest:

http://www.csmonitor.com/The-Culture/Gardening/2009/0909/the-science-behind-purple-beans

xx
tomatos

Started by harry on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 26, 2010, 13:10
by peterjf
xx
Tomatos

Started by Benandbill on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post March 06, 2011, 08:13
by DD.
xx
OTT on tomatos

Started by lazza on Grow Your Own

2 Replies
Last post January 09, 2013, 13:41
by JayG
xx
Tomatos outside?

Started by mclarkuk1 on Grow Your Own

3 Replies
Last post May 04, 2011, 09:49
by bigben

Page created in 1.325 seconds with 38 queries.